Thread: Getting started in the optical business

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Getting started in the optical business

Since it has recently been discussed that starting an optical lab is generally not a good idea I was wondering what type of optical business would have the best shot at being successful. I am also interested in advice/thoughts on any of these as well as any I might have over looked.

1.) Retail shop: no OD , send lab work out

2.) Retail shop with lab: once again no OD

3.) Retail shop with OD: send lab work out

4.) Retail shop with OD and lab

5.) Lab with a small retail shop

The only reason I am asking is because it is my dream to have my own lab but since many of you voiced that wasn't a good idea I am looking for some variances of it so I can have my dream and stay in business longer than 6 months. I just want to know where I should be focusing my attention ( being an optician or being a lab rat) I have every intention of learning as much about both as possible. Thank you in advance for any insight you might have.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I can see it all now. Free standing building not too fancy, in fact slightly run down on a busy highway. Big sign out front with your name and you spiel “Wholesale to the public” and “Drive a mile – Save a pile.” Inside you have tons of frame bars with nothing but discontinued frames. In the rear of the shop is a small window where you sit and take measurements, write up the job and collect the money. Immediately behind you is your lab.

No hired gun on the premises. No sweet young tootsies selling frames. Customer comes in and paws through frames till they find on they like and you either neutralize their lenses or use their existing Rx. Get them in and out with no hassle or pressure.

Set up your pricing at an appropriate level and advertise, advertise, advertise. No insurance, no credit, no guarantees, no romance.

Provide first quality eyewear at a reasonable price and the world will beat a path to your door.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Too expensive sending jobs out ...................

Quote Originally Posted by rent4711
    1.) Retail shop: no OD , send lab work out
    Too expensive sending jobs out when you start. You will have to sell at a much higher price than if you can do the jobs yourself

2.) Retail shop with lab: once again no OD
    that is the proper thing to do

3.) Retail shop with OD: send lab work out
    You will have to pay the OD or he will employ you. Not a good bargain to start with.

4.) Retail shop with OD and lab
    You will have to pay the OD or he will employ you. Not a good bargain to start with

5.) Lab with a small retail shop
    Dangerous, you will get no jobs for the lab if you compete with other opticians.However having a small shop and a small lab for your own use, would be acceptable and smart.

I have every intention of learning as much about both as possible. Thank you in advance for any insight you might have.
    It looks like you have the best intentions of getting somewhere. Just don't forget that for the first few years.......if you dont have just a lucky streak.............it will take more work and effort than collecting big bundles of money. But if you manage to get over that period you will allright.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 04-13-2006 at 06:08 AM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Too expensive sending jobs out when you start. You will have to sell at a much higher price than if you can do the jobs yourself
    Not when he saves 1000's in set up costs when an external lab can do his jobs for a few bucks each.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Be creative. . .

Why limit yourself to only known possibilities?? There was a lady who drug bags to execs in downtown LA. Made really good money and only saw 5 people a day on average. All high end sales. I've got a buddy that works out of a really big flea market selling close outs. He cuts single vision right there and only works 3 days a week.

Kaiser has big pink cement trucks in the Bay area. On them is written, "Find a need and fill it." Figure out what there is not and create it!!

Good luck to you!! :)
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    "Find a need and fill it." Figure out what there is not and create it!!

Well said. :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks to all of you for the feed back

rsandr.... If I would take the path of the lab I would already have the equipment available to me

rbaker.... I dunno if it was your intention or not but you made me laugh so hard :D

I like the find a need and fill it advice however at this point not really sure where the need is but hopefully that will come in time and if not I have Chris Ryser's advice as a back up plan.

Thanks again

Occupation
    rent4711 – Glad you got a good laugh but, I was dead serious. When it comes to money I never screw around. Either of your our original five plans will set you up as a chump amongst chumps. In fact you will be the new, unknown, under funded, inexperienced chump and that is not an enviable position to be in.

You will have to be different and not trapped in the same paradigm as all of the other independent chumps out there. If you have journeyman’s skills as an optician, strip your marketing and sales plan of all the BS, charge a fair price, remain independent and ADVERTISE that to the public you will be in a position to earn unlimited wealth. You will probably have a ball doing it.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

How to buy a business

Rent4711:

I would first like to know your capital structure. If you want to share by private message as this is quite personal I will add my additional advise to this below.

I would consider finding a small successful optical shop with an owner who is over 60 years old and does not have any family in the business. If you can not negotiate this on your own get some good business advise, but tell the owner the following: I want to own my own optical business, I am willing to work for you to have you show me the ropes. This owner will be trying to slow down with his schedule and needs someone he can trust. Prove youself over time and then ask for him either allow you to buy his store now or help you open a second one now with the idea you will buy his when he is ready to retire.

A small optical is not worth a lot at retirement time, but his knowledge of how to successfully operate a business is worth more than you can ever know until you have successfully operated a business.

This method has the least risks of all. If after a few years he does not want to sell to you and he does want to retire, it does not mean you are a bad person, just a person that in his judgement was not ready for the burden of ownership.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    Rent4711:

I would consider finding a small successful optical shop with an owner who is over 60 years old and does not have any family in the business.

A small optical is not worth a lot at retirement time, but his knowledge of how to successfully operate a business is worth more than you can ever know until you have successfully operated a business.

This method has the least risks of all.
    Sage advice, IMHO.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

There are several things to look at. . .

when trying to decide what there is not. If you're young make that work for you. How many opticals are there in your area? Is anyone doing temporary work? That's always a good one in densely populated areas. Who covers vacation schedules, maternity leaves or someone quitting without notice? You want exposure to different types of businesses and practices? Work as a temp for a couple of years. You can charge more than the going rate, everyone is glad to see you because you're an extra set of hands and you're never there long enough to get involved in office politics.

Is there enough high end folks with little time to be able to drag bags to them? People with money will pay for service that provides quality and convience. You set your appointment to evaluate their needs. You come back in a few days with one tray of frames that you think will work for them. You let them take a couple home to show their other half. You pick up the frames, fabricate the glasses and take the finished product back and dispense it on their lunch break. You make a couple of these folks happy and the next thing you know you've got most of the company. Those folks generally don't want to be shown up by the Jonses.

Don't be afraid to take a leap of faith! Be smart and figure out the best way to minimize your loses if something doesn't work, but never be afraid! R Baker has described our operation. (Although we do help with frame selection.) None of us could be described as cute and we are priced appropriately for our target audience. Even now we are looking for low cost ways to increase our business. We are going to try selling frames at a flea market located between our 2 stores. We hope this will drive lens and exam business to our stores. If it works great. If not then I'm only out $300.00 a month and I get to work in cut offs and tank tops for the summer. Not a bad deal.

If you start thinking outside the box now it'll be easier once you get to my age! Again, good luck to you!!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave best way at low cost to get started

Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    Sage advice, IMHO.

way im starting got 50,00o in owners two shops in two yrs want out got low investment and bought out hes going to retire as i pay him off for both shops if still want to grow or not!:)

Thread Information