Thread: unused contacts

OptiBoard Novice

Confused unused contacts

If a user has contacts left after the expiration date on the sealed units, can she still open the units, rinse the lenses, put in fresh solution, and still use the lenses?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's O.K. with me, but I'm sure the FDA and possibly the mfg would not approve. Most stuff has an expiration date much shorter than the life of the product. Some years ago, the FDA decided that everything had to have an expiration date. The even required an expiration date on salt tablets, the salt had been in the ground for millions of years, but in a sealed plastic bottle it would somehow be unfit for use after a year or two. With contacts you might concider how long past expiration date before making up your mind.

Your government at work.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the lenses are near the expiry date (within a few months) you should be ok to disinfect and wear them. Beyond that, the seal on the lens package is compromised and the lenses are not safe to wear, even if disinfected. Best bet, throw them out and start new. watch your solutions as well, and never use solutions that are past the expiry date. Opened solutions, even if not past expiry should also be tossed if they have been sitting around for any length of time.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See how them Canadians got mo' respect for Law, & Governmental Rules dan us boys from de South!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip, its not respect for the law, its more respect for what mould spores can do to the human cornea. I found colonies growing in disposable contact lens packs once. They were all well past their expiry date, and you could actually track the failed seal on the foils by following the growth of aspergillis. (?) Some pathogens find unpreserved saline to be 5 star accomodation. Better to err on the side of caution,eh?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why are any left?

A better question might be, why are there lenses left? If the patient is compliant and wearing them AND disposing of them at the appropriate rate, there should be non left. Looks like a case of overwearing the lenses. :finger: Me thinks the patient is non-compliant. HMMM?

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Melinda,
    I would like to remind you of the OB posting guidelines for consumers:

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Thread Information