Thread: reinstalling netscape:(

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Due to software update from Verizon I have had to reinstall netscape.Optiboard now requires me to type in name/password each session.I went into preferences to reset the cookie preference but apparently did not work.Please advise when you have time (low priority-I still remember name and password) :)

------------------
    Harry J

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Which version of Netscape did you install? There are reports of a lot of problems with version 6 so I'd stay away fom that one.

The cookies for username and password used by OptiBoard function is highly dependent on the browser. If you're using the exact same version of NS you were using before, you need to duplicate exactly all the settings you had previously - particularly the cookie options under View -> Preference -> Advanced.

Also Netscape doesn't always clear the cookies the way it should. Sometimes it won't reset until you completely exit the the browser then start it up again. And sometimes you need to completely reboot your machine before the cookies are reset.

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Steve,
    So far so good!Why didn't I think of rebooting? Actually that didn't do it.When in doubt read the instructions.... which indicated I should throw out all old cookies and start again.I'm not sure its completely up to snuff but the future would tell.I was using NS 4.74 but had to switch to 4.73 because thats what they sent me.I'm afraid I may have lost 474 altogether but I can get it back... I hope :)Thanks

------------------
    Harry J

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry, try going to the Netscape website, click on download, click on archival and look for your version of Netscape.

I made the huge mistake of purchasing 6.0 and as a corrupt program, continued to crash. When I uninstalled it, it took with it unistall files for other programs. Needless to say, after having my registry reconfigured and having to reinstall Windows, I still can not load new software on my hard drive. We are still trying to "fix it".

I am back with Gates using IE and Outlook.

Hope this is helpful

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jackie, I remember reading about your difficulties a few weeks back.My problems stemmed from having a later version than I was trying to install for reasons that only Verizon knows.Fortunately I made Zip copies of my address book and preferences.I just couldn't figure out how to get them back in the new older version of Netscape.I finally was able to do it but don't ask me how :)My next problem will be to upgrade from 4.73 to 4.74 which ought to take me as long as my inexperience can stand :)
    Hope your troubles will soon be over.

------------------
    Harry J

Bad address email on file

I wouldn't be using Netscape in the first place. It is too slow. IE seems the best. It might remember your cookies also. Are you a AOLer? :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Beta,
    Having used both IE and Netscape I find that I like NS better.Maybe I did'nt give IE a long enough trial, but we Mac owners have this thing with Bill Gates :) :) Concerning AOL the answer is no.I went with compuserve years ago and then I discovered I could navigate on my own with a local provider, and then finally to where I am today with Verizon DSL, which is a notch better in terms of speed.
    Best From the Cape

------------------
    Harry J

Bad address email on file

I see, you are a "motor"ola head :D Yea I know nothing about macs, good luck.

Thread Information