Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your first car...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

first car

my first was a 1946 ford with columbia overdrive that i bought from the old geezer down the street who never went anywhere except church and to buy groceries, bought it in 1960 and it had 25,000 original miles, paid a whopping 25.00 for ir and a year later sold it for 125.00 and thought i made a killing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    12 year old 1981 Pontiac Trans Am. Orange and Red Screaming Chicken, Silver Paint and a red leather interior. Transplanted custom 1970 455 big block big 4bbl carb 680hp lenco 3 spd auto and a hurst/olds 12 bolt posi rear. Saved every penny I earned from the time I was 15 until the day I turned 17 (1st week of July) got my license and was on the road. I remember spending every minute I had all summer working on the car getting it ready for school. The joy of 7 mpg, cheap gas and burned rubber.

That car is long gone. Had to sell it during college.

Now 14 years later I have a 1980 Firebird Esprit I am slowly rebuilding. My highschool friend got the car in 1992 and 3 years ago offered me the car for the outstanding price of garage space. Its got 124k miles on it and still runs strong.

Perhaps someone on Optiboard is interested in sponsership, I could finish the car and you could put your co. name on the sides.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

I'll search high and low for a photo Grubie...

Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    I love the VeeDubs. I want to see that car, Snit!

My last car was a 72 VW autostick. Cherry Red.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I learned to drive on my parents' 1962 Rambler station wagon with the 195.6 CID 1/2 barrel carb. 7 turns lock to lock on the steering, and it would not outrun a semi.Mushy is a good word for it's performance. Three-speed pushbutton tranny made it even worse. Although you could floor it and hit Neutral between shifts for a second and then hit the next gear and actually chirp the tires a bit. Then they got a 1964 Dodge Coronet 500 convertible with the 318 engine. That was a lot more fun!

First car I bought was my brother's 1974 Pinto station wagon, bright orange with fake wood panels, a 2.3 liter 4, and four speed.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Professional bren_03825's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

1st cars

two of them, bought as a pair (weird story)

1971 Mercury Montego
    and
    1977 Volkswagen campmobile

liked the campmobile better

most fav car though

1969 Caddy Coup de Ville

It was the bomb :D

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My first car was a 1969 Hard top GTO. Which my parents said I could "have" when I got married. My husband said "No, it's not a Mopar." He could kick himself now, he's older and wiser. Seems at the time, he thought all we really needed was his 1970 SuperBee. Dang showing my age! That was in 1980!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    1991 Pontiac, 6000 LE in Grey

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Okay Grubie,

This is all that I could find without going to deep into the photos. In this picture the car (VW) wasn't completely done, sorry. I will keep searching for the photo that shows the final outcome of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    I'll search high and low for a photo Grubie...

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    My first car was a 1979 Pontiac Sunbird (brand new) which was in for service more often then it was on the road. I had my eye on my dad's 1972 Grand Prix (white on white) that my sister wrecked the month before obtaining my driver's license.

That Sunbird was the last bad car I owned. SInce then I have been lucky to have had great vehicles to drive relatively problem free. I would be hard pressed to pick my favorite (sports car, SUV's, sports sedans). Now that I live in China it is more painful to indulge in my love of automobiles (the price tag is nearly double the US price tag for the ssame vehicle).

Shanghai Motors just recently released the Rongwei (pronouced "wrong way") which is the former Rover 95. Price and design is right. I just feel funny driving a car called Wrong Way.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina View Post
    My first car was a 1979 Pontiac Sunbird (brand new) which was in for service more often then it was on the road. I had my eye on my dad's 1972 Grand Prix (white on white) that my sister wrecked the month before obtaining my driver's license.

That Sunbird was the last bad car I owned. SInce then I have been lucky to have had great vehicles to drive relatively problem free. I would be hard pressed to pick my favorite (sports car, SUV's, sports sedans). Now that I live in China it is more painful to indulge in my love of automobiles (the price tag is nearly double the US price tag for the ssame vehicle).

Shanghai Motors just recently released the Rongwei (pronouced "wrong way") which is the former Rover 95. Price and design is right. I just feel funny driving a car called Wrong Way.
    Is that one named after the Chinese pilot that collided with our spy plane?:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information