Thread: possible to un-polish lens edges?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OptiBoard Novice

Crier possible to un-polish lens edges?

Hi, I just got new semi-rimless glasses. When I recived them I noticed the edges weren't polished and since my prescription is fairly high (-5.25 R, -4.5 L) I asked if they could send them back to get the edges polished. The optician said they could, but that they couldn't be polished the same way they normally do as they would have to have done it origionally when I first purchased them. I agreed.
    When I got them and put them on at home, I noticed a large amount of glare and it's been really really distracting me.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to have the lenses "un-polished" ?

Thanks

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Sure we call it 'frosting the edges'. We just take a finning pad and very carefully rough up the edges. It has to be done right in order for it to look good and you can easily scratch the lens up if you don't know what your doing.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

A better solution might be. . .

an edge kote. That way you get the gloss of a nice finished job without the reflections. Check with your Optician about the details and whether this would be suitable for you.
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks,

I'll go back tomorrow and ask them about that too

Occupation
    Yeah I would see what else they could do. I know that we can frost edges and they look great but I can't say that they won't scratch the lenses.

OptiBoard Novice
    I second the motion to frost the edge. I have been doing it for years with zero mishaps. If you are afraid of scratching them, have them put surface saver tape on both sides of the lens, touch the edges off lightly to detatch the excess tape, and gently rub the edge with a lighter grit surfacing pad (a second fine pad) in circular motions. Works every time

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender
    an edge kote. That way you get the gloss of a nice finished job without the reflections. Check with your Optician about the details and whether this would be suitable for you.
    Im thinking of buying the 'camoflage' edge pens.
    Does anyone know how many lenses you can do with these pens?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm not a big fan of them. The only one I like is the grey/green for polarised lenses. Tend to use the other ones only when I have to touch up a scratch on a frame.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance
    I'm not a big fan of them. The only one I like is the grey/green for polarised lenses. Tend to use the other ones only when I have to touch up a scratch on a frame.
    What is it you dont like?
    I had a flyer describing how brilliant they are! Arent they all they are cracked up to be?

OptiBoard Novice

Great! worth the risk?

Thanks for answering so quick!

That's Great

Do you think having them un-polished is worth the risk of them scratching the lenses?

I'd actually just like the side edges to remain polished and the rest of the edge circumference to be frosted again.

Have you ever heard of anyone wanting lenses un-polished?

I feel guilty about asking them to do that

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

Un-polished

Quote Originally Posted by jsutcurious

Have you ever heard of anyone wanting lenses un-polished?
    Yes, some of the patients didn't want their lenses to be polished, since they were also facing the same problem - Glare!

-----------------------------------
    Samuel

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Remember we are talking about the edges not the front and back surfaces, I have had quite a few (before I stopped polishing all edge surfaces as freebie extra service) complain about the glare from same and ask that I remove the polished surface.

Chip

Just another good intention gone wrong.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 04-08-2006 at 08:42 PM. Reason: mo

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The correct way to eliminate the glare is with an anti-reflective coating. This can be applied at any time.

Bill Belanger

Quote Originally Posted by jsutcurious
    Hi, I just got new semi-rimless glasses. When I recived them I noticed the edges weren't polished and since my prescription is fairly high (-5.25 R, -4.5 L) I asked if they could send them back to get the edges polished. The optician said they could, but that they couldn't be polished the same way they normally do as they would have to have done it origionally when I first purchased them. I agreed.
    When I got them and put them on at home, I noticed a large amount of glare and it's been really really distracting me.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to have the lenses "un-polished" ?

Thanks

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    AR treatment is not applicable here, and cannot be applied anytime.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    I guess I need to ask 1.) why and 2.) why not?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson
    AR treatment is not applicable here, and cannot be applied anytime.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

AR Treatment Anytime

Well technically you can apply AR at anytime. Most facilities will not AR process cut lenses.

AR is also not applicable to this situation since the edge of a rimless frame picks up the glare due to light entering the lens from the rimless portion of the lens. Since AR is designed to increase light transmission this is exactly an example of where you would not want to use AR. AR for the lens surfaces on this or almost any lens is very desirable however.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Smokey what a guy

Framebender;

Thanks for the info. I knew Smokey slightly and used to see him every year at Indy before he passed away. And he is a great example of education is very important in life, and he had a great one, he was self taught and knew who to listen to and who not to listen too.

Can you imagine a company the size of GM hiring an outside expert today who did not even graduate high school? Well in the 60's and 70's GM hired Smokey and he almost on developed engine performance componets that GM engineers said could not be done.

One of those rare truely and brillent people.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    I'm sorry to disagree, but having owned a wholesale lab for over 32 years, we have always sent edged lenses out for A/R, many times after the patient decided to have it done after wearing the glasses. We have used many different coating facilities.

An A/R will absolutely reduce glare no matter where it comes from since it "traps" the reflections between the front and rear surface of the lens. We have many times satisfied a patient's complaint of polished edged glare with an A/R. Don't mean to be confrontational, just trying to help the original poster.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    Well technically you can apply AR at anytime. Most facilities will not AR process cut lenses.

AR is also not applicable to this situation since the edge of a rimless frame picks up the glare due to light entering the lens from the rimless portion of the lens. Since AR is designed to increase light transmission this is exactly an example of where you would not want to use AR. AR for the lens surfaces on this or almost any lens is very desirable however.

Thread Information