Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defective Products & Parts

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Defective Products & Parts

New Thread: When ever you find a frame, part or product that doesn't perform, broke without obvious trauma from you or the patient, list it here.

First entry:
    Temple tips on BCBGMaxazria "Kyla" Attempted to adjust, the slightest amount of heat for same resulted in a melted pair of temples.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    RL 1442 Lenses chip on insertion and with slightest adjustment. metal lip on most of those frames so minute to see yet killer on the lens remake issue. Been doing semi rimless for ever, never this kind of trouble. Great topic.

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Spring Hinges

I have had a rash of defective spring temples that break from the "rod" that is from the barrel to inside of the spring hinge, mostly from Elite but it has been really across the board, is anyone else having trouble with spring hinges?:hammer:

Robert;)
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    A whole bunch of the newer BCBG frames are incredibly difficult to adjust--Angelique being one of them...oh, I'll just make a list. I've melted a few temples myself. Oh, and the eyewire bevels tend to be annoyingly narrow, so lenses sometimes pop out.

The new Oakley zyls, Gasket and Sweeper, are both very sensitive to heat. Not really a defect, but I almost made Gasket Soup yesterday, if you get my drift.

CDOT
    john lennon signature compression drill mount frames... the barbed posts break under the least bit of removal tension....excellent thread idea!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by CDOT
    john lennon signature compression drill mount frames... the barbed posts break under the least bit of removal tension....excellent thread idea!
    ditto with the Adidas drill mounts.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Really good thread!!

Revolution drill mounts. The barbed end pieces won't grab the inside of the gaskets supplied. They won't grab the inside of the of Silhouette gaskets either. We sent them back.
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Terrific thread idea!

We have also had problems with Revolution drill mounts - no matter what bushing we tried, just does not/cannot hold the post and comes apart easily. Silhouette is by far the best drill mount. It is frustrating as drilled frames are so popular...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see the broken "rod" inside of the spring hinges break quite often. No matter who makes them. Why does that "rod" have to be so small?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    I see the broken "rod" inside of the spring hinges break quite often. No matter who makes them. Why does that "rod" have to be so small?
    Because they want to use the plug system for some strange reason. I find that only if the frame is flexible like the Silhouette main model it can handle it.

We had the Minimize ones for a while, and they had screws that never broke. However, the screw ones in non flexible frames still back off.

I think what you want is to use the screw, but put a brace at the back to protect against backing off. Of course when do frame makers every think in that manner...

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see why too much breakage on the Marchon Airlock drill mounts, the ones without hinges. We have even had two employee's airlocks break. One happened at work on a busy Saturday. She had no other glasses with her and I had to fix them in a hurry while she tried to help patients wearing no correction, and she wears a -5.00!

These frames snap at the curve in the temple way too easily. I always recommend the hindged Airlock frames.

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This isn't a techical defect, but it's still a pain in the butt:

The ball bearing/spring hinge on the Christy Brinkley's Enlightenned and Synergy. Not only are they a royal pain to get back on the front, but the temple itself seems to break quite easily: the small bit in front of the screw, but behind the front.

I am on a personal quest to find something that will help with assembling these frames. I've been online looking and emailing hilco, vigor, ect to find something to help me assemble these things. How I hate that frame hinge design.

Occupation
    The ball bearing/spring hinge on the Christy Brinkley's Enlightenned and Synergy. Not only are they a royal pain to get back on the front, but the temple itself seems to break quite easily: the small bit in front of the screw, but behind the front.

I am on a personal quest to find something that will help with assembling these frames. I've been online looking and emailing hilco, vigor, ect to find something to help me assemble these things. How I hate that frame hinge design.
    I have found that on some of those you can tie a piece of rimless filament to the temple then loop it through the temple so it holds the ball in place, then put it together and replace the screw, then cut the string away.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I love the Pro Design aluminum/titanium frames, I have frequent problems with the finish coming off the aluminum. They've switched factories for the coloring, but I'm still having the problem...or else I'm getting old stock!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Because they want to use the plug system for some strange reason. I find that only if the frame is flexible like the Silhouette main model it can handle it.
    Oh thats why Silhouette made all bridges non flexible!
    To be the same as competition!?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had so many Safilo spring hinges break in the last year. I am sick of them. What happened to Safilo? The quality has plummeted. They were my go to frame line. I am now phasing them out of my practice! The spring hinge breakage has been in the TEAM line.

Fezz
    :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto on Fezz' post - Team 4020's and 4030's, even the /N models, broken spring hinges on more than half of them sold. Elasta Mag sets loose their magnets and frame and clips won't hold their adjustments.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Safilo update-Since posting my comment on 9-20-06, I have had 2 temples come back broken! One was a Team#4035(the second one on this patient, and she is mainly a contact lens wearer), the other was a Team#4030. The best part.....both temples are on backorder!!!!!!!!! UGH!

Fezz

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    The best part.....both temples are on backorder!!!!!!!!! UGH!
    That's because they're breaking all over the place! We had a similar issue with Flexon frames a while ago...kept coming back broken and backordered for months.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anybody wonder how the skunkworks could make the Blackbird in an abandoned hangar under complete secrecy, have the plane fly for fifty years at over 3,000 mph and not one breakage.
    Frame manufacturers perhaps should take another look at the early works with the material.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Chip=Agreed!

Fezz

Occupation

Angry Revolution

I'll add another Revolution drill mount complaint: yes, we too have seen breakages at the posts. A major problem we had is that replacement frames would be shipped in a tiny box that did not accommodate the size of the frame - I would get frame after frame from them pretty much worthless right from the box (and what REALLY got my goose was that they SWORE they had never used such boxes and that a third party must have swapped them out!!!!). Excuse me, Revolution, but do you know where I usually file conspiracy theories?

HARUMPH!

kk

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wagner View Post
    I have had a rash of defective spring temples that break from the "rod" that is from the barrel to inside of the spring hinge, mostly from Elite but it has been really across the board, is anyone else having trouble with spring hinges?:hammer:

Robert;)
    I haven't had a major problem with it lately, but I usually tell patients my opinion on spring hinges. I know many people set out to find a frame with springs, but it is almost always the first/only thing on the frame to break.
    Safilo Elasta's hinges are designed uniquely (expanded in straight position, condensed with pulled out) and seem to hold up very well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Safilo Elasta's hinges are designed uniquely (expanded in straight position, condensed with pulled out) and seem to hold up very well.
    I would beg to differ! I have had more breakages on Safilo product in the last two years, than, any other frame vendor combined!

Fezz

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I sent back all my Revolutions, too many bad welds too many broken hinges, the clips never seem to fit after the lenses were mounted.

Thread Information