Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Contact Lens

Bad address email on file Visionz's Avatar

Soft Contact Lens

Need some tips on fitting soft contact lens on patient. Whenever i put the lens on the cornea the lens has a bubble and it eventually falls off. Do i tell the patient to look in all directions while holding the lids??? Or massage the area where the bubble is, some people tear a lot so they have to close there eyes quickly. Any tips would help, thanx.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Take some courses and learn what you are doing before practicing on a human being.

If bubble is in middle, lens is too steep, if bubble is on edge lens is too flat.
    Need better fit, not a massage, except possibly a brain massage for attempting to practice in such an ignorant state.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lmao!!!!!
    Paul:cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :hammer:

:D lmao as well

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it really necessary to be rude?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dear Happy:

Anyone that ignorant on CL's is a danger to us all. They needs slapped down fast before they do some real damage.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Happylady – No it is not necessary to be rude, nor is it necessary to be nice. By my very nature I am a rude, sarcastic SOB and I am not going to change at this stage on life. I am not a proponent of Oprah or Katie and have been around long enough to know that well directed sarcasm and ridicule builds strong character and iron will. What is one to do when one encounters stupidity? You have to strike fast and strike hard – you know, shock and awe.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are not being rude,, we're laughing at Chip. Besides, one should at least know the theory behind fitting CL's

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Dear Happy:

Anyone that ignorant on CL's is a danger to us all. They needs slapped down fast before they do some real damage.

Chip
    LMAO yet again! Thanks Chip!!

Take some courses and learn what you are doing before practicing on a human being.

If bubble is in middle, lens is too steep, if bubble is on edge lens is too flat.
    Need better fit, not a massage, except possibly a brain massage for attempting to practice in such an ignorant state.

Chip
    My mistake i said patient, i meant i was practicing on my friends at work with someone there not an actual patient but one of the patients was my friend, i was supervised of course but wasn't given any tips except for one which i already knew.I am taking the course right now but i have a horrible teacher so thats why i'm asking you guys for help. My friends are in the course with me and we were just practicing on eachother using the methods that were taught to us in class.

"If bubble is in middle, lens is too steep, if bubble is on edge lens is too flat.Need better fit" i do know this but i don't know how to fix the bubble i was wondering that someone would help me out. I know what i said sounded wrong because it was, should have rephrased it. Don't bother saying anything, it is partly my mistake because i should have rephrased it but calling me stupid and things like that isn't nice. Ziggy needs to relax, he laughs a lot maybe because he has that mirror infront of his face all the time.

Last edited by Visionz; 04-04-2006 at 09:19 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Visionz
    Need some tips on fitting soft contact lens on patient. Whenever i put the lens on the cornea the lens has a bubble and it eventually falls off. Do i tell the patient to look in all directions while holding the lids??? Or massage the area where the bubble is, some people tear a lot so they have to close there eyes quickly. Any tips would help, thanx.
    I must admit... this is one scary post. I find it difficult to believe that you're a licensed optician. The best tip I have for you is seek legal council. I hope you have some sort of liability insurance. This is just ridiculous... you are definitely out of your realm. Are you a student under who ? Surely you have someone in your office to consult with. The 2nd best tip I can give you is... look for another job !... and leave the fitting of contacts to those in the know.

Please note... what you are doing is unprofessional... unsafe... and not
    in the best interest of the client.
    Wouldn't you feel good hearing the pilot of your plane ask if anyone knew where the landing gear switch was... after taking you up to 30,000 feet.
    The bubble is between your ears... sorry.... questions like yours are distressing... :angry:....
    Oh ! Was I being too Critical ? :finger:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bubble in the middle, smaller lens or longer radius. Bubble or stand-away on edge, shorter radius or bigger diameter. Check for too steep by taking "K" readings over lens, if clear right after blink and then turns fuzzy ("K" reading or vision) lens is too steep.

Chip, and you can take it to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by The Critical Eye
    I must admit... this is one scary post. I find it difficult to believe that you're a licensed optician. The bubble is between your ears... sorry.... questions like yours are distressing... :angry:....
    First of all i'm not a licensed optician who told you that??? Second of all if you don't have anything proper or good to say than don't say it. Read above your post what i've written and than comment.

Bubble in the middle, smaller lens or longer radius. Bubble or stand-away on edge, shorter radius or bigger diameter. Check for too steep by taking "K" readings over lens, if clear right after blink and then turns fuzzy ("K" reading or vision) lens is too steep.

Chip, and you can take it to the bank.
    Chip i am practicing with 14.2 -14,5 diameter lenses are my friends, my teacher said she can give us any diameter lens so be prepared to fit them. Two of my friends have really ssmall corneas, it's hard to fit an 14.2 or above diameter lens. As soon as i place the lens on the cornea forms a bubble but i've practiced again today with somebody that knows, they told me to slowly push the lids where the bubble is forming, tell the person to look around clockwise and when they close there eyes gently tap there eyes to again make sure the bubble is gone, i know how to do it now. Thanx for whatever you said, didn't like what you said at start but it's ok i don't take small things to the heart.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You missed the point, if the bubble forms, the lens has too much clearance, and needs to be re-fit, the fact that you can squish it out temporarily does not make the lens fit any better, it's just temporarily compressed and staying that way due to a temporary vaccuum beneath the lens. Bubble should never be present except possibly very small ones when the lens has been inserted after rinsing with aerosol saline.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Chip i am practicing with 14.2 -14,5 diameter lenses are my friends,
    Why not put more solution in concave side before the insertion?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Wouldn't you feel good hearing the pilot of your plane ask if anyone knew where the landing gear switch was... after taking you up to 30,000 feet.
    :angry:....

He's not asking the customer where the gear is, he's asking the other pilots where the gear is, which is not too bad :bbg:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by caonimaxuebi
    He's not asking the customer where the gear is, he's asking the other pilots where the gear is, which is not too bad :bbg:
    I hear ya Captain.... now help me find my parachute... I'm bailing
    out on this one

Chip i am practicing with 14.2 -14,5 diameter lenses are my friends, my teacher said she can give us any diameter lens so be prepared to fit them.
    Great ...now Visionz is practicing on friends eyes... instead of real peoples eyes... that makes all the difference.

I hear ya Captain.... now help me find my parachute... I'm bailing
    out on this one

Great ...now Visionz is practicing on friends eyes... instead of real peoples eyes... that makes all the difference.
    Your real funny, it seems like you joined this forum for humor, go to

www.IAmALoserForums.com --- Thats where you belong

I do put more solution, like a drop before the insertion. :drop:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your real funny, it seems like you joined this forum for humor, go to

www.IAmALoserForums.com --- Thats where you belong
    sensitive aren't we ? ...

Ok Visionz... I'll admit ... I failed to read your profile...you in fact do list yourself as a "student optician". Please note that I did ask if you were a student... since it wasn't stated in your post and I finally did take effort on my part to find this out = not lazy. Excuse my ignorance... I had also forgotten that certain provinces have a single licensing policy which naturally assumes that if one shows an ability to dispense (sell) Eyeglasses... then they should also have the ability to provide contact lens care. Other provinces issue dual licenses... which I happen to think makes more sense. They are two totally different disciplines and should be treated as such... IMHO... :idea:

I would hate to think that the person flying the plane had to learn that skill when all they really wanted to do was be a stewardess... I think you understand the point....

For the record.. take a look at the posting times... what had actualy happened was that I started my response to your originatiing thread.. had to tend to clients... when I came back from my tour of duties I finished my response and posted... in the interim you had made an attempt to clarify your original post and reposted... (do (post) it right the 1st time or don't do it at all... now who said that ?). Keep in mind this is a public forum... I have not used any profanity with you... but I definitely question your approach... and really question why you haven't referenced a book = lazy.

Wow... you pose a question on a public forum.. get a response that bottom line said..."you're not thinking"... and yes... some humor IMO..these forums are about opinions.... and you get so bent that you refer me to "The I am a loser" forum... But in seeing this I realize that the real loser will the unsuspecting individual that sits in a chair and lets someone put little plastic discs on their eyes without knowing the possible results of their actions beforehand.
    You are entiltled to your opinion ... :)

'If you don't care where you end up ... it doesn't matter what road you take... or whether you use a map." Your textbooks should be your maps... everyone needs to learn... but come on.. look at some diagrams...a fitting guide... something. Now you're saying that there were 2-3 students working together and no one could figure this out...even with the supervisor present.
    Sounds like a problem in river city. I'd be contactintg my association ... field supervisor... course coordinator... your education is suffering. A little intiative (self study) would be a nice trait to see in an upcoming optician.

[QUOTE=Visionz]Chip i am practicing with 14.2 -14,5 diameter lenses are my friends, my teacher said she can give us any diameter lens so be prepared to fit them. Two of my friends have really ssmall corneas, it's hard to fit an 14.2 or above diameter lens.

Maybe you've answered your own question.... small corneas and large diameter lenses may not provide a suitable/acceptable fit.
    So use some of the fitting philosophies out there and tell your instructor... that you plain and simply in your best judgement would not fit this person with any of the lenses provided based on .... (fill in the blanks).

Do these lenses not possess a base curve? Amazing that there has been no mention of base curve selection.... SIMPLY AMAZING!

I could go on Visionz... but I don't want to get REALLY CRITICAL.

You're being lazy Visionz. Sure blame the teacher... blame the supervisor. Blame me for your failure to post your original question in more detail. Why can't I be lazy... and not look at your profile to see your listed as a "student".

By the sounds of it you went into a situation less than prepared ...less than properly supervised or instructed. This is an issue of REAL concern. More so than bubbles under a contact lens. Ultimately the public will suffer from this.

If you don't have a personal interest to seek out PICTURES related to all aspects of contact lenses and their attached corneas then you may as well hang up your shingle to dispense contact lenses before you begin. All the verbal description in the world on your topic of interest is not going to replace a visual answer. (A picture is worth a thousand words... now who said that ?)

You have the right to not present yourself as a student.. inadvertently call your friends...patients.. and tell me to read your new posting. Take some responsibilty for the attention and response your simple question (initial posting provoked). (As someone once said..."don't ask a question if you're not prepared to hear the answer"... now who said that ?)
    Last edited by The Critical Eye; 04-05-2006 at 04:41 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What happens if the lens is inside out ? Then does the concave side become the convex side... or once a concave side ... always a concave side. Maybe
    there are bubbles because the lens is inside out ? ...

Remember that song by Dean Martin... or was that before your time ?
    I think it was called "Tiny Bubbles"... I always wondered if he drank real champagne on his TV show.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You've got to be kidding me! If people are having this much trouble fitting a soft lens, then WE ARE IN SERIOUS trouble. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go to that office. A freaking monkey can fit soft lenses with today's SiHy lenses - even toric patients.

I can't believe there was even this much discussion about bubbles,etc. Give me a break!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ziggy needs to relax, he laughs a lot maybe because he has that mirror infront of his face all the time.
    My mother even thought I was funny looking . But thats not the point, now is it. The point is that you should know the basic theory behind CL fitting prior to placing a contact on a patient, even if it is a friend. AS for LMAO, I just love Chip's ability to call a spade a spade. Is this a "school" your going to or are you trying to learn this on the fly? If its a school,,I'd ask for my money back. My advice to you is to understand the theory, you should go back and reread your text. This may have been a harsh lesson but I bet you will never forget, "Bubble in the middle, smaller lens or larger radius".

I was never indangering anyone, just practicing on friends that are practicing with me, yes i have an horrible teacher never asked for one, so stop talking about me putting the public in danger. Say what you guys want to, i know how to do it now did it myself whoopty do right????, your just hating on me, you guys just want to start fights. Feel free to say anything, i don't care anymore, i just wanted some educated answers since i'm a beginner. Made a big mistake posting this question here. Keep laughing if it really makes you feel better, go ahead.

Thread Information