Thread: SOLA lenses- whats the difference?

OptiBoard Novice

Crier SOLA lenses- whats the difference?

Hey guys :)

im an optom student doing an assignment on the different SOLA progressive lenses currently on the market.. but im comPletely confused about the difference btw SOLA One, SOLA AO Easy, SOLA One HD, SOLA AO Easy HD, and SOLA One Ego lenses. could someone pls help me?

and what makes a SOLA graduate gold different from a standard SOLA graduate lens? and the same for XL and XL Gold lenses; is XL Gold the same as XL but just softer?

and what was it about the percepta that made it such a failure? (my lecturer told us that it was a disaster...) and is this lens design hard?

and what kind of a lens is the SOLA VIP?

ah sorry for asking so many questions but im pretty confused n my assignments due tomorrow. :(

ill appreciate any help that anyone offers pls!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    http://www.sola.com/

Have you looked here?

I would also recommend searching with Google and searching on OptiBoard with the OptiBoard Search option.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-17-2006 at 05:00 PM.

OptiBoard Novice

yep

yeh i checked the sola site. its very airy fairy and uninformative :o thanks for the suggestion anyway..

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sola.com has the info you asked about in your post. Designs, seg hts, etc. You need to look again and also check out this boards archives. Don't expect to come her and have everyone do all of your work.

OptiBoard Novice
    id just like to clarify the fact that i did go through this boards archives and decided to post a new thread only after i had done so. and also that i didnt post my thread expecting everyone to do all of my work. id already done a lot of research and found lots of informative information from many sites which were nOT from sola.com (yes the site has information on lens designs and seg heights etc but like i said before it is quite vague..) i was merely after some clarification from someone who was familiar with sola lenses. but sorry, i didnt expect my post to be taken so offensively.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I apologize, maybe I was a bit harsh. Maybe your question should have asked opinions rather than lens facts. That sounds to me what you're really after. I'll give you some of mine. I personally haven't fit an xl or vip in years. I did use them quite a bit when I first started 10 years ago basically because I was told too. It's what we stocked in our lab. We sometimes used the ao compact when fitting a shorter seg height. The Solaone is supposedly the "all around lens". Great for day to day. Pretty much goes for the Ao Easy as well. They say the Ao easy has a clearer periphery and wider intermediate, which I haven't patients prefer one over the other. The solamax is supposed to be a good fit for previous ft weareres. With my experience, not true on this lens but others may disagree. Solaone is supposed to be a wider intermediate and near. All of these lenses are available in most indexes. So, as you noticed, I said supposed to when explaining features of the lenses and that's because in my own opnion, it's all bull. The only way to actually compare these lenses is to take the same rx with the same frame and compare that way. Anytime you change rx's, it changes the lens design. Honestly, I don't see much different in these lenses except for the fact that the compact is a short corridor lens.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper thanks for the suggestion anyway.......................

Quote Originally Posted by phrewt
    yeh i checked the sola site. its very airy fairy and uninformative :o thanks for the suggestion anyway..
    You can also go on my optical website listing which contains way over 500 links....that might help you too.

http://optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    im an optom student doing an assignment on the different SOLA progressive lenses currently on the market
    Keep in mind that AO progressives are different from SOLA progressives. There isn't a "SOLA AO Easy," for instance. The Carl Zeiss Vision organization comprises Zeiss, SOLA, and AO, and there has been a separate lens design team and brand identity associated with each.

Secondly, while several of the progressive lenses you mentioned are still "on the market," including SOLA XL and VIP, we certainly do not actively promote these lens designs any longer, so you are unlikely to find a great deal of information about them.

Lastly, your best bet is to call your local SOLA company. You can also download detailed product specifications from the SOLA website.

but im comPletely confused about the difference btw SOLA One, SOLA AO Easy, SOLA One HD, SOLA AO Easy HD, and SOLA One Ego lenses.
    Technical white papers are available on all of these products, and I would certainly encourage you to contact SOLA directly. However, I will provide you with a general overview of these lens designs:

SOLAMAX is a recent progressive lens design under the SOLA brand. SOLAMAX was designed with an emphasis on near and mid-range utility, and offers an excellent intermediate zone along with a near zone that widens higher up. It's also an excellent choice for former bifocal wearers accustomed to a large near zone.

SOLAOne is the latest general-purpose progressive lens under the SOLA brand. Like SOLAMAX, it also features a high, wide near zone in order to deliver exceptional mid-range and near utility. However, SOLAOne features a softer periphery and larger distance zone in order to provide better distance utility and dynamic vision performance.

AO Easy is the latest general-purpose progressive lens under the AO brand. As with all of AO's progressive lenses, it features a soft, usable periphery and generous viewing zones. AO Easy combines excellent distance utility with a relatively short corridor length for great near utility, even in smaller frames.

HD, or "High Definition" designs utilize a sophisticated optical optimization strategy combined with a free-form delivery system in order to deliver highly customized progressive lenses that provide the largest viewing zones possible for each and every wearer.

what makes a SOLA graduate gold different from a standard SOLA graduate lens?
    The "Gold" designs were improved versions of each lens with softer peripheries, better binocularity, and better overall utility. They were also available only in premium lens materials, like Spectralite.

what was it about the percepta that made it such a failure? (my lecturer told us that it was a disaster...) and is this lens design hard?
    Percepta certainly wasn't a "disaster," but it didn't provide the near and mid-range utility of SOLAOne or SOLAMAX -- which many wearers seem to prefer. Percepta did offer unsurpassed distance vision and binocularity though. Percepta isn't particularly hard, though its periphery isn't as soft as you might find in a design like SOLAOne.

and what kind of a lens is the SOLA VIP?
    SOLA VIP is SOLA's first progressive lens, designed almost 20 years ago. The fact that the lens still enjoys a degree of success, even with the number of modern progressive lenses available today, is a testament to its design.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Darryl !
    Can you make up a timeline for progressive lenses with lets say 5-7 major players in progressive market. I was surprised that VIP is ONLY 20 years old!
    I know you are the best!
    And now you have resourses from 3 major companies!

PS Hope to meet you in person on VEE
    Last edited by LENNY; 03-31-2006 at 08:01 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I must just add a couple of comments firstly about Percepta, about 7/8 years ago we were looking for a 'premium lens' which we could dispense almost as an exclusive in our small market. Percepta was (and still is) an unknown lens here and we started using it. We sold many hundreds of pairs with virtually no problems and the funny part is that recently we have had to change a couple of patients back into Percepta when they have had a new different pair.

As far as XL is concerned, that was our basic Bread 'n' Butter lens for many years, again, with accurate fitting and an explanation to the patient about what they are getting, we hardly saw any problems

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Progressive information

phrewt

You can get some more information on Sola and other, progressives at the below link .

From Sheedy J. Progressive addition lenses-matching the specific lens to patient needs.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My Mom's first progressive was the Sola VIP, this was in the late 80's. I later changed her to the VIP Gold. She now wears a Hoya Wide.

A few years ago we had an optician that put almost everyone in XL. We had almost no remakes. My husbands first progressive was the XL gold. This was in the mid nineties.

I went to a seminar on the Percepta when it first came out. I remember that it was a different design based on the prescription, a + lens was very different then a - lense. We still have a few patients wearing it and loving it.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Can you make up a timeline for progressive lenses with lets say 5-7 major players in progressive market.
    This is a list that Pete originally started a few years ago, but I've been periodically revising and updating it. However, I'm sure that there are still a few omissions -- particularly for some of the smaller companies. Most of these dates apply to the first US release (some designs may have first appeared earlier in other countries).

Univis:
    1965- Omnifocal

Rodenstock:
    1981- Progressiv R
    1989- Progressiv S
    1994- life
    1996- Multigressiv
    1999- life 2, life C, Multigressiv 2
    2000- ILT
    2001- life XS

Zeiss:
    1984- Gradal HS
    1994- Gradal RD
    1999- Gradal Top
    2000- Gradal Individual
    2001- Gradal Individual Short i
    2004- Business
    2004- Gradal Brevity

Younger Optics:
    1978- 10/30
    1982- CPS
    2002- Image

SOLA:
    1985- VIP
    1987- XL
    1991- VIP Gold
    1994- XL Gold
    1996- Access
    1997- Percepta
    1997- Continuum
    2000- SOLAMAX
    2003- SOLAOne
    2004- Instinctive

American Optical:
    1974- Ultravue
    1981- Truvision
    1988- Truvision Omni
    1990- Truvision Technica
    1992- AO Pro
    1998- AO Compact
    2000- AO b'Active
    2004- AO Easy

Signet Armolite:
    1989- Elegance
    1995- Kodak
    1997- Navigator
    2001- Concise

Pentax:
    1996- AF
    1999- AF Mini

Hoya:
    1998- Wide, LX Wide
    2000- Summit
    2003- Summit CD

Seiko:
    1995- P6
    2001- Proceed
    2003- Proceed II
    2005- Proceed III

Essilor:
    1981- Super No Line
    1992- Adaptar
    1995- Natural
    2001- Ovation

Varilux:
    1967- Varliux
    1973- Varilux II/Plus
    1988- Varilux Overview
    1989- Varilux Infinity
    1991- Varilux Readables
    1994- Varilux Comfort
    2000- Varilux Panamic
    2004- Varilux Ipseo
    2004- Varilux Ellipse
    2004- Varilux Liberty
    2006- Varilux Physio
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Novice

thanks

cheers to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions! :cheers: especially darryl; you're definetly the right person to ask about sola lenses!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks

I knew you are the BEST!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Shamir:
    2006 - Creation
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Darryl, you missed some!

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    This is a list that Pete originally started a few years ago, but I've been periodically revising and updating it. However, I'm sure that there are still a few omissions -- particularly for some of the smaller companies. Most of these dates apply to the first US release (some designs may have first appeared earlier in other countries).

Univis:
    1965- Omnifocal

Rodenstock:
    1981- Progressiv R
    1989- Progressiv S
    1994- life
    1996- Multigressiv
    1999- life 2, life C, Multigressiv 2
    2000- ILT
    2001- life XS

Zeiss:
    1984- Gradal HS
    1994- Gradal RD
    1999- Gradal Top
    2000- Gradal Individual
    2001- Gradal Individual Short i
    2004- Business
    2004- Gradal Brevity

Younger Optics:
    1978- 10/30
    1982- CPS
    2002- Image

SOLA:
    1985- VIP
    1987- XL
    1991- VIP Gold
    1994- XL Gold
    1996- Access
    1997- Percepta
    1997- Continuum
    2000- SOLAMAX
    2003- SOLAOne
    2004- Instinctive

American Optical:
    1974- Ultravue
    1981- Truvision
    1988- Truvision Omni
    1990- Truvision Technica
    1992- AO Pro
    1998- AO Compact
    2000- AO b'Active
    2004- AO Easy

Signet Armolite:
    1989- Elegance
    1995- Kodak
    1997- Navigator
    2001- Concise

Pentax:
    1996- AF
    1999- AF Mini

Hoya:
    1998- Wide, LX Wide
    2000- Summit
    2003- Summit CD

Seiko:
    1995- P6
    2001- Proceed
    2003- Proceed II
    2005- Proceed III

Essilor:
    1981- Super No Line
    1992- Adaptar
    1995- Natural
    2001- Ovation

Varilux:
    1967- Varliux
    1973- Varilux II/Plus
    1988- Varilux Overview
    1989- Varilux Infinity
    1991- Varilux Readables
    1994- Varilux Comfort
    2000- Varilux Panamic
    2004- Varilux Ipseo
    2004- Varilux Ellipse
    2004- Varilux Liberty
    2006- Varilux Physio

What about GT2? Also , you skipped Shamir, which I've been told , makes more lenses than anyone.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    This list was actually created before GT2 was launched. I'll try to update it at some point.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    But WAIT!! The VIP is about to be re-introduced!!!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters
    Laramy-K Optical

Thread Information