Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anti reflective coating usually ordered with new glasses these days?

OptiBoard Apprentice

Question Is anti reflective coating usually ordered with new glasses these days?

Hello~

Do most of your patients have the anti reflective coating put on their lenses? When I ordered mine recently the optician felt that I would be happy with something called Alise<---? I can't quite make out all the lettering. i just took it for granted that it's part of the package nowadays. It does seem nice to have the glare. Several years ago if I remember correctly I had a pair of regular glasses -not progressive-with a type of anti reflective coating. It didn't seem high quality. There was a purple hue on the top of the lens. Is this customary for this type of coating? I didn't think to ask the optician. I'm just curious if most of your patients order the coating when puchasing new glasses.

Thank you in advance.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depends on the shop, the sales person, and whether the salesperson is on commission. Also depends on if the optician totally swallowed the last lecture he/she attended on "necessity" of same.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper AR options......................

Quote Originally Posted by SpexAppeal
    Hello~
    Do most of your patients have the anti reflective coating put on their lenses?
    Not most.................but an increasing percentage is doing it. It is nice to have, clearer better vision with no disturbing reflection. However the package for a full AR package with the top layers can be very pricy.

Your optician will probably recommend you the most expensive type............so it would be worth it to check out also other options along the same line.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

It Depends what part of the world your in

Japan has over 90% with AR

Europe has over 50% with AR

America has less than 40% with AR but growing

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    if you had the alize coating you have been given one of the best coatings,it is durable as well as being water repellent and scratch resistant.:cheers:
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Crizal Alize is one of the better AR coatings. It is very durable and easier to clean then standard AR lenses. I think it is worth the extra money.

I sell a lot of AR because I take the time to show my patients what it does. I don't just ask if they want AR, I take a pair of glasses with one lens with it and one without and show it and explain it fully.

I proabably sell 75% to adults. Another optician I work with sells less then 25%. I always mention AR, she doesn't. I think this is wrong, we should always give the patient the option.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello~

Do most of your patients have the anti reflective coating put on their lenses? When I ordered mine recently the optician felt that I would be happy with something called Alise<---? I can't quite make out all the lettering. i just took it for granted that it's part of the package nowadays. It does seem nice to have the glare. Several years ago if I remember correctly I had a pair of regular glasses -not progressive-with a type of anti reflective coating. It didn't seem high quality. There was a purple hue on the top of the lens. Is this customary for this type of coating? I didn't think to ask the optician. I'm just curious if most of your patients order the coating when puchasing new glasses.

Thank you in advance.
    yep - nearly 90%

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    Japan has over 90% with AR

Europe has over 50% with AR

America has less than 40% with AR but growing
    Actually, the US is around 20 percent. I was just reading an article about it last week (forget where, but it is a common stat). I think it actually dropped last year.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Interstate Optical ARxHP anti-reflection coating

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Not most.................but an increasing percentage is doing it. It is nice to have, clearer better vision with no disturbing reflection. However the package for a full AR package with the top layers can be very pricy.

Your optician will probably recommend you the most expensive type............so it would be worth it to check out also other options along the same line.
    Essilor's Crizal Alize is great coating and well advertised. A hidden secret is Interstate Optical's (OH & IN) ARxHP, their private label. Great value and great quality. Check it out on www.interstateoptical.com

Lak Cheong
    www.uni-clip.com

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

almost 100% in Hong Kong

I'm not joking.....you probably need to pay extra to get lens not AR coated here in Hong Kong. AR is not separately quoted as in US but comes automatically with the lens......

Lak Cheong
    www.uni-clip.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    This is exactly what the optician did. He held up a comparison lens and showed me his own glasses that he was wearing as well. A marked difference. And yes that's the one--Alize. I thought it was an "s" from his writing. He mentioned it was compatible with my lens and that they're better quality than years ago. I'm hoping that I didn't make a mistake though-- if it means harder to clean and take care of. I know that once my glasses arrive he'll show me how to clean them I'm sure. I just don't want anything that is going to rub off or peel off down the line. Do glasses need to be re-coated at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Crizal Alize is one of the better AR coatings. It is very durable and easier to clean then standard AR lenses. I think it is worth the extra money.

I sell a lot of AR because I take the time to show my patients what it does. I don't just ask if they want AR, I take a pair of glasses with one lens with it and one without and show it and explain it fully.

I proabably sell 75% to adults. Another optician I work with sells less then 25%. I always mention AR, she doesn't. I think this is wrong, we should always give the patient the option.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You just don't get it, do you? The short "vacation" wasn't a clue? We're not going to help you with your issues. Take all your questions, concerns and everything else to your local ECP.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spex-

The answer to your question is, no, anti-reflective coating is not automatically added to your order. You have to choose it. The coating you got is very highly regarded in this industry, and you should follow all your optician's instructions on how to care for it. If you want more information, ask your optician or look at the Crizal Alize website.
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is exactly what the optician did. He held up a comparison lens and showed me his own glasses that he was wearing as well. A marked difference. And yes that's the one--Alize. I thought it was an "s" from his writing. He mentioned it was compatible with my lens and that they're better quality than years ago. I'm hoping that I didn't make a mistake though-- if it means harder to clean and take care of. I know that once my glasses arrive he'll show me how to clean them I'm sure. I just don't want anything that is going to rub off or peel off down the line. Do glasses need to be re-coated at some point?
    Crizal Alize should last the life of your lenses as long as you take proper care of them. Don't use anything with bleach or ammonia to clean them. Rinsing them under warm running water is always a good idea when cleaning them. Don't leave them somewhere very hot like the dashboard of your car. Your optician can explain fully how to care for them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    You just don't get it, do you? The short "vacation" wasn't a clue? We're not going to help you with your issues. Take all your questions, concerns and everything else to your local ECP.
    Wow, what was this all about?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Hello~

Thank you to all for your time and advice about this anti reflective coating. I'm happy that my optician chooses high quality! I'll look forward to receiving them and it will be no problem keeping them clean. I just need to remember not to use my shirt sleeve like I often do now. They'll rarely be off my face except when i wear my sunglasses or am sleeping. I will definitely keep them from the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Crizal Alize should last the life of your lenses as long as you take proper care of them. Don't use anything with bleach or ammonia to clean them. Rinsing them under warm running water is always a good idea when cleaning them. Don't leave them somewhere very hot like the dashboard of your car. Your optician can explain fully how to care for them.

Occupation

Big Smile

They'll rarely be off my face except when i wear my sunglasses or am sleeping. I will definitely keep them from the heat.
    ......and when having a drink not to keep glass right under the nose or the alcoholic fumes will eat away at the coating............

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I got alize on my new lenses--and it is way easier to clean than just regular Crizal, but my new lenses had scratches with in the first couple of weeks-and I cleaned them exactly as I had been told by my ECP, and used only the cloth they gave me that came with the lenses. I have more scratches on these lenses than what my old pair had after 2 years. I am very unhappy with the Alize. When I was thinking of buying a second pair of glasses with just single vision for driving, I was told by an ECP that he will not order Alize because it scratches easier than Crizal. I paid over $450.00 for these lenses-not including the frames-and I am not happy with all the scratches already. I definitely will not get alize again...

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Something is fishy here

I got alize on my new lenses--and it is way easier to clean than just regular Crizal, but my new lenses had scratches with in the first couple of weeks-and I cleaned them exactly as I had been told by my ECP, and used only the cloth they gave me that came with the lenses. I have more scratches on these lenses than what my old pair had after 2 years. I am very unhappy with the Alize. When I was thinking of buying a second pair of glasses with just single vision for driving, I was told by an ECP that he will not order Alize because it scratches easier than Crizal. I paid over $450.00 for these lenses-not including the frames-and I am not happy with all the scratches already. I definitely will not get alize again...
    If the both pair of lenses were coated at the same time with Crizal and then one had the Alize treatment they would both scratch almost in the same manner if impacted by the same object with the exact same force. The one with the Alize would actually be more resistant to scratching, but not by any significant amount. There can be differences in performance depending on how each was processed. You are really not comparing apples to apples since the brand of AR can be applied by many many different labs.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Now, the small glimmer of hope

Alize, is warrantied for the "life of the Rx or life of the spectacles". Lab or optician many or may not wish to pass on all of this (many go just for a year) but it's warranted against scratches for at least 1-2 years and against separating or pealing forever.

Chip

Occupation

Blue Jumper but it's warranted against.......................

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    ...............but it's warranted against scratches for at least 1-2 years and against separating or pealing forever.
    Chip
    Any warranty is an insurance against something costly happening to the product........................

Reolacements cost money.......time.....effort........and so forth

If you believe in Santa you also think that this is a freebie..................it is not it is always incorporated into the selling price. A portion of your purchasing cost covers that warranty.

Therefore it is worth calculating if another product is that much less expensive so that a warranty is not needed.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Any warranty is an insurance against something costly happening to the product........................

If you believe in Santa you also think that this is a freebie..................it is not it is always incorporated into the selling price. A portion of your purchasing cost covers that warranty.

Therefore it is worth calculating if another product is that much less expensive so that a warranty is not needed.
    Conversely, you could weigh the "additional" cost of getting an AR with a longer-term warranty versus a whole new pair of lenses. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Occupation

Way too much information

.... for the consumer to fully understand posted in this thread. Warranty issues are a incident by incident issue and can be interpreted incorrectly from what has been posted so far.

Just my two cents.

Rep

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Yes--it at the least takes time, and it took the lab three times to get my lenses done right the first time-so that I could wear my glasses without pain, and see clearly out of both lenses at the same time--so I am very hesitant to ask for them to be redone now due to the scratches...

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can you really sell someone a pair of $500.00+ glasses and tell them the lenses will turn to junk after one, maybe two years at the outside?

Chip

Thread Information