Thread: Would a slight difference in PD number matter?

OptiBoard Apprentice

Confused Would a slight difference in PD number matter?

Hello and a question to the opticians:

I was fitted by the optician for my new shorter progressive lens glasses yesterday. I noticed a discrepancy in the number called PD from my old optometrist who fitted my last pair of glasses. Also this new optician's partner measured it a bit differently too. For instance the one my optician used for my new glasses was 28 and 27.5. He himself measured both at 28 last time I was in. My past eye doctor measured 28 and 28.5. Will these slight discrepancies make a difference in how my glasses fit? I realize it isn't much but I will ask your opinion.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nope.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What it is Mame, is your left eye has lost weight and therefore now sits mo' clost to da nose. Feed it mo' pasta.

Chip:p

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hee hee hee. Someone made me smile on a Saturday at work.:bbg:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Am I the only one that does not work Saturdays? We close at noon on Fridays and go back Monday

Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    hee hee hee. Someone made me smile on a Saturday at work.:bbg:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work every other Saturday, so it's not that bad.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

to quote Dilbert ...

"must control the fist of death" ... :angry:

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thread answer is still NO.

Suggest new thread regarding work week and if you're still waiting for your Moses :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SpexAppeal
    Hello and a question to the opticians:

I was fitted by the optician for my new shorter progressive lens glasses yesterday. I noticed a discrepancy in the number called PD from my old optometrist who fitted my last pair of glasses. Also this new optician's partner measured it a bit differently too. For instance the one my optician used for my new glasses was 28 and 27.5. He himself measured both at 28 last time I was in. My past eye doctor measured 28 and 28.5. Will these slight discrepancies make a difference in how my glasses fit? I realize it isn't much but I will ask your opinion.
    depends on the prescription (generally no, but in higher RX's yes). Whats your age by the way?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    sometimes it does,I think it depends on the person.generally speaking it is not noticable. some people would complain for a slight difference in the PD.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I am 58. I'm nearsighted with the need for close-up vision as well.

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    depends on the prescription (generally no, but in higher RX's yes). Whats your age by the way?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    What does this measure exactly? How the eye is centered in the glass frame? I have been wearing these larger glasses with a 28 and 28.5 measurement for sometime now. I suppose they fit right. I certainly hope that the 28 and 27.5 this new optician measured won't be a problem. I notice that it can be different each time they do it and depending on who does it. One optician had me place my hands on the little box-thing that he held next to my face to steady it. Others haven't. It doesn't seem like a very exact science does it? What would I notice if the measurements feel "off"?

This particular optician is knowlegeable but just not as approachable as my old one. I gather that it's all so routine for him that he must have it down pat. I know he will take good care of my eyewear needs. Many of these questions have come up after reading posts here.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrise
    sometimes it does,I think it depends on the person.generally speaking it is not noticable. some people would complain for a slight difference in the PD.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spex:

Do you obsess over everything like this or are you just centering on the optical industry this week? Please troll on.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You just don't get it, do you? The short "vacation" wasn't a clue? We're not going to help you with your issues. Take all your questions, concerns and everything else to your local ECP.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Hello~

LOL. I guess it does sound like I am obsessing doesn't it? You sound like my sister! Trouble is I started reading some of the opticians chats and I started remembering questions I had. Of course I'll take them to my optician as well.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Spex:

Do you obsess over everything like this or are you just centering on the optical industry this week? Please troll on.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Hello~

I'm not sure what you mean but I'm not on vacation. Did i give that impression? I'm sorry. I work from home so that's why I am able to chat during the day. Did I say something wrong here? I didn't mean to step on any toes. As i told Chip I suddenly noticed some questions I had. I will surely speak to my optician as well. I just thought I would have some of them answered here since I was discovering questions I had as I was reading.

Thank you to those who helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    You just don't get it, do you? The short "vacation" wasn't a clue? We're not going to help you with your issues. Take all your questions, concerns and everything else to your local ECP.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello~

Did I say something wrong here? I didn't mean to step on any toes. As i told Chip I suddenly noticed some questions I had. I will surely speak to my optician as well. I just thought I would have some of them answered here since I was discovering questions I had as I was reading.

This is from the Optiboard posting guidelines and relates to consumer posts:

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.
    So, yes, you did do something wrong. Questions such as this should be directed to your eye care professional. That is the person that knows your history and why it is what it is.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello~

I'm not sure what you mean but I'm not on vacation. Did i give that impression? I'm sorry. I work from home so that's why I am able to chat during the day. Did I say something wrong here? I didn't mean to step on any toes. As i told Chip I suddenly noticed some questions I had. I will surely speak to my optician as well. I just thought I would have some of them answered here since I was discovering questions I had as I was reading.

I'm sorry. I confused you with another poster with similar attributes. Please heed Cindy's advice. It is very, very good.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Hello~

Uh-oh. Sorry. I guess I got too exuberant. I understand where Cindy and others are coming from. I looked closer at some of the individual boards here and I see that this forum is really more for opticians. It has been a big help to me nevertheless. Thank you for giving me some insight. I think I'll ask my optician if he visits this forum. If not he should! Great place for people in the trade it looks like

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    I'm sorry. I confused you with another poster with similar attributes. Please heed Cindy's advice. It is very, very good.

Thread Information