Thread: Newbie, relocated, smashed progressives, needs some quidance

OptiBoard Novice

Question Newbie, relocated, smashed progressives, needs some quidance

Hi,

I'm a consumer whose beloved eye glasses jumped ship and met their untimely fate.

After reading sensible advice here like "sticking with lenses you like and are happy with" and "finding a good optical office with qualified people" I am looking for some advice on how best to proceed.

My first pair of progressives (late 1990's) I struggled with for one year. Second pair were better (same optical office) but still had some issues. Relocated and got my third pair, absolutely wonderful glasses, could actually see well in all zones, including the intermidate zone, didn't have to tilt head down to drive, people weren't blurry standing next to me, could see the food in front of me, etc. and could read too - just great glasses - loved them!

I've again relocated, now to a rural area, with a few optical offices within 30 miles. Spoke with three offices, brought glasses into one and they couldn't get a reading because of damage, thought they saw a "Y" didn't know what it was, so I called my old optician who said I have Younger Optics Image progressives and his advice was to "stick with the Image lenses", highly rated them. First 2 offices here said they only use Varilux, third same thing, but even though not familiar with Younger "could possibly get them for me, no guarantees". I have no idea how reputable, but all were very nice people.

So, my question is: Am I better off throwing a net out to 75 miles (large city & a few smaller ones in-between) and pursuing an office that uses, or has fitted Younger glasses, letting a small hometown office not familiar with the brand order & fit them, or let them fit me with their brand which they would be more than happy to do? Can any optician fit any brand successfully or are they better with the brand they use regularly?

Unfortunately I don't know the make of the first two progressives so I don't know what to steer clear of, although I would guess all brands have improved over the years.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Throw that net!!

I wouldn't buy glasses at a place where they didn't know who Younger Optics is. They aren't as big as Essilor, but they have been around long enough and have sold enough lenses, that people who claim to be in this business should know who they are.

They Image is a good lens. Available in alot of materials at a decent price point. Any progressive lens that's fit well should work. I would be leery of the fit at a place that has so little product knowledge.

Good luck on your quest!;)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't use the Image very often though my polarized sunglasses have the Image lens. It is fit like a Varilux lens so if an optician can fit Varilux they can fit Image.

If you came into my shop with some Image progressives and told me how much you liked them I would certainly keep you in the same lens. I use a few labs, one is a Hoya lab and one is an Essilor lab and one is a Sola lab. Both the Essilor or Hoya lab can supply the Image lens.

I am surprised that these optical places aren't more eager to help you. If you still have your first two pairs of progressives they have laser marks on them. I have an progressive lens booklet that shows the marks of all progressives so that if I see one I don't know then I can look it up. I think all private opticials should have one of these, I bought it from one of my labs.

Anyway, if you take your other progressives to a optical that has this booklet they can figure out what your first two progressives were if you want to stay away from them. It is also very possible that the reason you didn't like them is that they were fit poorly.

OptiBoard Novice

Framebender, I was leaning in that direction...

but I didn't want to start down that road if I didn't need to. I'll start making more calls.

In all fairness to the local optical offices, which are quite small, this is a rural farming community, so maybe they just don't have enough business in progressives to know all of them...I don't know, just my thought. They have probably lived here for generations and may be very competent in what they're familiar with, but better to be safe than sorry. I always get the transitionsing type with an anti-glare and a no-scratch, so it's a bit of an investment. And I'm interested in checking out the rimless frames. My last pair were half-rims, much lighter and more comfortable then previous glasses

Happylady, I did feel the 3 offices I spoke with were trying to be helpful, two offices I only spoke with over the phone. Maybe their budget didn't allow for a lot of stuff. I donated my old progressives to the Lions Club, so can't check them out, it would have been nice to know. Right now I'm surviving with an 8-year old pair of single vision I luckily found stashed in my car so I can at least drive, although somewhat poorly at night. (Rays from headlights everywhere). And I do a lot of driving out here, nothings close.

Thanks to both of you for your advice and quick response, I appreciate it. :)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was nice of you to donate your glasses to the Lions Club, but I always tell my patients to keep at least one previous pair of glasses. You never know....;)

Good luck!

Thread Information