Thread: Rimless Sun

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Rimless Sun

I have a very improtant client that is desiring a pair of rx sun for golf. We have decided on a Non Polar (wants some glare to aid in the reading of greens) Bronze tint in an 8 base Rimless. He basically wants something akin to the Eagle Vision 2 Dark or Eagle Vision 2 Gold from Bolle. The issue is the 8base rimless design. Most Rimless 8 base designs are not RxAble.

I may be able to convince them that a thin framed wrap style will work as well.

Price really isn't a factor at this point.. It is a matter of function and style.

While he likes the ideas behind the Rudy Project collection, he doesn't like the style. He wants executive looks, with sport optics.

The other limiting factor is that he is a pl -2.25 cyl in one eye. The other is a barely there script.

Any suggestions?

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I know the first place I would start here on OptiBoard is with user AWTECH. They are able to Rx prescriptions in 6 & 8 base lenses with the newer surfacing technologies. I know they can go beyond that cyl power even. I would ask him or he'll maybe see this thread. They specialize in the sun market with wrap rx's. You'll have to check about the rimless option, but I know they can do the lenses.

Here is the website to their Rx page:
    http://www.ice-tech.com/ice-techrx.asp

My Other suggestion is to check into the Sola Technologies Spazio Sunlenses.
    Here is their webite: http://www.solatechnologies.com/prod...optics/spazio/
    They create sun lenses in 8 base. They offer a PDF file that show which frames are compatible including 3-piece rimless frames. I'd check them out too as I know they do good work.
    Last edited by culland; 03-24-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Rimless option

Function and style. :idea: RetroSpecs & Co.
    8458 Melrose Place
    Los Angeles, CA. 90069
    323-951-4925

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by culland
    I know the first place I would start here on OptiBoard is with user AWTECH. They are able to Rx prescriptions in 6 & 8 base lenses with the newer surfacing technologies. I know they can go beyond that cyl power even. I would ask him or he'll maybe see this thread. They specialize in the sun market with wrap rx's. You'll have to check about the rimless option, but I know they can do the lenses.

Here is the website to their Rx page:
    http://www.ice-tech.com/ice-techrx.asp
    I did look at the site, and I didn't see any rimless styles, nor any thin frames.

AWTECH, do you partner with ECPs or are you direct?

The doctor is planning on basically giving these to this gentleman as a thank you of sorts. So time is somewhat of the essence as well.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Shamir also offers a product called the Attitude that is an 8 base, drillable, available in polarized and non-polarized, SV and PAL.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

How to produce this Lens?

Jubilee:
    We have decided on a Non Polar (wants some glare to aid in the reading of greens) Bronze tint in an 8 base Rimless. He basically wants something akin to the Eagle Vision 2 Dark or Eagle Vision 2 Gold from Bolle. The issue is the 8base rimless design. Most Rimless 8 base designs are not RxAble.
    This is exactly what ICE-TECH designed our Advanced Polarized Prescription lenses for. Traditional lens surfacing has set paramaters for changing the dirction of the light wave through the lens. These surfacing limitations will not allow correct calculations for a "Best Form Lens" with an 8 base front curve. Our individual lens designs properly calculate the correct backside design that is not just a spherical surfacing but an individual point file surface design cut within a micron of accuracy. We do not use traditional laps with fining and polishing.

I don't understand the logic with non polarized. Our polarized lens will enhance the ability to read the greens not limit it. You still see the reflected light off of the grass you just don't have the spikes of light entering the eye.

We have a rimless design that will be available in about one month.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The patient is open to the polarized option... He has concerns do to the debate amongst golfing pros about whether polarized helps or hurts in reading the lay of the green.

Similar to skiers who may want the glare to help them gauge the snow.

I sent you a PM.

Looking at your site, it seems like you are direct to public. I didn't know if you worked with ECPs or what your set up was.

Cassandra

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Marking of ICE-TECH products

Jubilee:
    Looking at your site, it seems like you are direct to public. I didn't know if you worked with ECPs or what your set up was.
    Our primary historical distribution has been to specialty sunglass stores. We also sell some specialty sports stores. We now have strong focus on the optical distribution combining our excellent plano products with the most advanced prescription technology producing individualized lenses that are created using point files custom cut within a micron of accuracy.

Our plano products are available on our web site for MSRP, however we offer this as a way to support consumers looking for our product in areas where we do not have distribution. Typically eyewear and sunglasses are much more likely to be purchased at a retail location rather than the internet. To drive this business to the internet one of two things must exist.
    1-Lack of product availablity
    2-Large on line discounts (Which we do not offer on line)
    We do not see prescription eyewear online.

Thread Information