Thread: parallelograms?

OptiBoard Novice

parallelograms?

I have my first non single vision lenses and they are progressives. I got them about four days ago. They were just okie dokie from the start so long as I was not trying to read. On a printed page the field of vision is only 3-4 inches wide--even if I look through the very botton of the lense. If I move my head to the side to follow the text (with the intent of keeping it in focus) the whole image becomes a parallelogram! The opticions said to go home and adjust...it has not changed. If anything, I'm having more trouble getting my eyes to find the right location! It also seems as though the vision through my right lense is more out of focus. I have read many posts here and saw no other mention of such a problem. Is this normal? Thanks for any info!

OptiBoard Professional eyecarepro's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Normal.

If your eyes are not aligned with the channel for intermediate and reading directly below them, then that could make your reading more challenging. It is actually a common problem for first time progressive wearer's especially, but even previous progressive wearer's can have this problem. Adding "panto" as many opticians refer to it, or pantoscopic tilt can make a HUGE difference by positioning the reading part directly below your eyes, moving the lenses closer to your cheeks. This will also cause the top of the glasses to be positioned farther away from your brows, as well. I have found making this simple adjustment in many of my progressive patient's eyeglasses can make reading much less of a challenge, and even feel more natural.

Thread Information