Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Complaints about distortion an progressives...................................

Bad address email on file pbsE46's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by SpexAppeal
    Hello~

I noticed this post about progressives and I've already given a review of my brand new Ellipse lens glasses, so I won't go into details. But I must say these are just wonderful. No distortion or anything negative at all! I am amazed. I was almost expecting problems from learning about the shorter frames and lenses. But not at all! I truly am pleased with what I was fitted with. Thank you for any advice you've given me here.
    Here's a good example of a patient who doesn't notice any periphal blur. It just goes to show you everybody has their own level of toleration. We as Opticians know full well there is blur, but SpexAppeal can tolerate it easily. Of course there are reasons why she doesn't notice it, some are physical some are phycological.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some professionals "push" the progressives because they are told to. they're told every patient should be in a high index progressive w/ ar. Believe me....I know because I started out at one of those Optical chains and that's what I was told. I was told what progressive to sell and I got good commision for selling it. I got no commision on a multifocal or a cr39 progressive. And I didn't educate the patient because I didn't know how. So, I believe that's what's still happening. They need people to sell glasses and most of the places don't care if you have experience or not. They'll hire you, give you a little bit of background in optical and throw you out to the dogs. I don't blame the people hired, I blame the corporations for doing it.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Thumbs up

Hello~

I truly am amazed since I did have that dizzy-feeling when I got my last progressives several years ago. The comforts in a much larger frame. It took me a few days to adjust i must admit. However this time with these smaller glasses I literally put them on and they felt like they've always belonged there. Not one moment of blurry or strange vision.

When I asked my optician this he said there is actually less of this with the smaller lenses (Ellipse I guess he was talking about). He also said my add-power for my close-up went down. Apparently it was too high in the past. Not sure why. Anyway, no matter what the reason I am a very satisfied patient! That makes me want to get a second pair for a back-up. I do believe my next sunglasses will be larger though. I prefer my eyes to be shielded more. I can actually wear my old progressive off brand sunglasses just fine. Trouble is I was told they are not polarized. I can surely tell too! If it's not too bright outside I have less glare with these new Alize coated Ellipse glasses than I do my SUNglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by pbsE46
    Here's a good example of a patient who doesn't notice any periphal blur. It just goes to show you everybody has their own level of toleration. We as Opticians know full well there is blur, but SpexAppeal can tolerate it easily. Of course there are reasons why she doesn't notice it, some are physical some are phycological.

Bad address email on file pbsE46's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    I don't blame the people hired, I blame the corporations for doing it.
    Make no mistake....this also happens in private practice. It's not just corporate america doing this and that's not to say this happens at all corporate locations. I've always believed a place, not matter what it is, is only as good as the people working there.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile I have less glare with these new Alize coated Ellipse glasses....

Quote Originally Posted by SpexAppeal
    I can surely tell too! If it's not too bright outside I have less glare with these new Alize coated Ellipse glasses than I do my SUNglasses.
    This is a real superlative statement you made..............are you sure your not on the payroll of the advertising agency working for the maker of above mentioned products?
    :D :bbg: :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    Some professionals "push" the progressives because they are told to. they're told every patient should be in a high index progressive w/ ar. Believe me....I know because I started out at one of those Optical chains and that's what I was told. I was told what progressive to sell and I got good commision for selling it. I got no commision on a multifocal or a cr39 progressive. And I didn't educate the patient because I didn't know how. So, I believe that's what's still happening. They need people to sell glasses and most of the places don't care if you have experience or not. They'll hire you, give you a little bit of background in optical and throw you out to the dogs. I don't blame the people hired, I blame the corporations for doing it.
    Hallelujah! Bingo!.

In your first sentence, there's a bit of a contradiction in terms, however. "Some professionals push the progressives because they're told to." A professional in our industry will have the experience, knowledge, and background to fit whatever lens their experience, knowledge, and background will dictate. If an optician is unfortunate enough to be employed by one of these entities, I can only say that they merely become a 'salesperson' and lose the respect-deserving label of optician.

I'll say it once, I'll say it again: I do not feel that our industry is one in which commissioned sales belongs.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I do not feel that our industry......................

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K
    I do not feel that our industry is one in which commissioned sales belongs.
    Looking at the number of visitors this thread has had so far and still heads the bunch.............it must have passed on the message and is still interesting to a lot of people.

That was very good statement cindy made...................all we should know at this stage who are the major culprits that have the commissioned pushers on the sales staff.

Lets also not forget...........that the public is getting it from all sides, namely the large corporations that are using brainwash techniques of publicity in their fight for first place in the sun, ady advertising the products that cost them the least to make but, which they can sell at the highest prices.

:finger:

Thread Information