Thread: To Harry

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Confused To Harry

It also might be a good idea to learn how to spell the word professional, as well.

This is merely a kind word of advice. People can be turned off by this. If I see someone who is obviously educated in their field, but cannot even spell what they profess to be---
    a professional---it makes me wonder what else might be lacking.

Harry posted:

I do agree our proffesion is one littered with idiots and layman, but they are not opticians. In your opinion what constitutes a proffesional?

As for me personaly I am a medical proffesional, I perfom diagnostic tests for the doctors I work for, I assist in surgery when needed, and in some casses the doctor will have me explain certain diagnosis to the patient. I hold a COA from Joint Commision on Allied Health in Ophthalmology, so I do qualify as a medical proffesional. I have found that most the members on this board are medical proffesionals.

I don't think that you are a proffesonal or an optician. I don't care how many years you have been doing this. Do you have any formal education?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have my HBComm in marketing. I still misspell commercial here and there. Of course if it is anything formal I double check. On message boards I do not proof read.

Give Harry a break.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good as gold has requested a four day LOA.......

Good as gold has requested a four day LOA,which the moderators gladly extend to her. We hope to see her back the first day of spring.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I've stayed out, but you attacked my friend.

GoodAsGold,

Maybe you need another name. I've read some of your posts and it would appear that you are anything but. I'm not known to be nasty....but, don't attack my friends. Harry is my friend.

Diane :angry:

Quote Originally Posted by GoodAsGold
    It also might be a good idea to learn how to spell the word professional, as well.

This is merely a kind word of advice. People can be turned off by this. If I see someone who is obviously educated in their field, but cannot even spell what they profess to be---
    a professional---it makes me wonder what else might be lacking.

Harry posted:

I do agree our proffesion is one littered with idiots and layman, but they are not opticians. In your opinion what constitutes a proffesional?

As for me personaly I am a medical proffesional, I perfom diagnostic tests for the doctors I work for, I assist in surgery when needed, and in some casses the doctor will have me explain certain diagnosis to the patient. I hold a COA from Joint Commision on Allied Health in Ophthalmology, so I do qualify as a medical proffesional. I have found that most the members on this board are medical proffesionals.

I don't think that you are a proffesonal or an optician. I don't care how many years you have been doing this. Do you have any formal education?
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all know what type of women have hearts good as gold.

You owe me one Harry.

Chip:cheers:
    Last edited by chip anderson; 03-17-2006 at 07:21 PM. Reason: msg. to Harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i famously dont spell well - lol

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    FYI to all. Google now has a spell checker with its toolbar. May help.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You have to be kidding me.

Good As Gold:

I am not an Optiboard Moderator but I would highly suggest that you use this forum differently. For personal issues on how people spell, please do not create a thread about it.

I for one enjoy this site and as a busy professional, I don’t have time to read all the threads which is disappointing to me since I really enjoy this site and have learned quite a bit from everyone. So when I come to a thread like this that you have created and wasted my time on, I sure as heck need to let you know about it.

Take it somewhere else! :finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In all fairness, good as gold was addressing this thread to Harry Chilling, but regardless, it points to the posting guidelines, specifically about personal attacks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with addressing caustic comments directly to the individual involved, using the tool called PRIVATE MESSAGING. That's one of the reasons its there. Its simple to use and addresses individuals without involving all members.When an attack appears in public, people ban together as they have done here and the whole thing escalates out of control. How much better to have had this done in private ( I am willing to bet that it would have been done with more grace and less vitriol, after all, who among us has not made a spelling error.)

The lesson to be learned by all of us here, is that things don't always appear to be as we first see them.I too thought this thead was addressed to me.(Yeah, I know, I keep tripping over my own ego) We tend to rush to judgement and test the depth of the water with both feet which my last fortune cookie told me NOT to do.
    Thank you all for your kind thoughts, and now its time to practice what we learned.
    Best to you all from harry Jilson
    Last edited by hcjilson; 03-17-2006 at 08:30 PM.
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: spelling help

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    FYI to all. Google now has a spell checker with its toolbar. May help.
    Once upon a time in the late 1980's, before I was seduced into the life of optical, I volunteered at a March of Dimes office. Our main goal was to educate women to get good prenatal care, and to raise money to buy equipment to care for newborns and infants with serious health problems.

Each new volunteer was welcomed and then soon warned with a story that was often repeated. A fund raising letter was mailed out after being read by several staff members. One of the lines in the letter spoke of the "treat" of aids, not the "threat" of aids that was the writer's intention. Spell checkers, human or electronic, may not catch every error, and some of them are costly. The letter that went out promptly afterwards, apologizing for the mistake, doubled the mailing and printing costs for that campaign.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile Record for opening......................

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    Good As Gold:
    I am not an Optiboard Moderator but I would highly suggest that you use this forum differently. For personal issues on how people spell, please do not create a thread about it.
    Good as Gold has the absolute record of opening the most new threads in the shortest time period. Will open one for any reason.

Software Engineer NetPriva.com mirage2k2's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I'd like to see GoodAsGold as GoodAsGone :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread has run its course. Stick to posting guidelines which state that personal attacks will not be allowed.We mean this and are serious. Be Cool everyone!
    Lord Byron

Thread Information