Thread: Does having Wal-mart on the resume hurt?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Does having Wal-mart on the resume hurt?

I'm looking over some resumes and I'll see walmart or lenscrafters and the resume seems to make it on the "B" stack. I'm I just being a retail bigot? Not that those resumes wont make it in for an interview,,but they may not be the first I call. What for you is a "must have" or a "must not have" on a resume?
    Thanks
    Paul:cheers:

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper We only hire geezers!!

They've been through that phase of their life before those places existed. Now you will see Bensons, Royal or Sterling, but we forgive those transgressions! ;)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

optics are optics

Why would working at a chain store matter, are the optics at lenscrafters different than everywhere else.

OptiBoardaholic
    Must have good personality, ethics, competency, availability, and liscensure. I would put them all in the "A" list, untill you meet them. Walmart/Lenscrafters positions don't inherantly compromise ethics and competency like many think, but I can understand your perspective based on reputation as a whole. One of the best docs I know works for Wally, but the rest that I have great respect for work privately.

Besides, if they are leaving Walmart maybe they are more to your suitability than you think. After all, do you think they are leaving because the money is better with you? Doubt it. And if they were pressured out of Walmart, maybe they were refusing to compromise patient care in exchange for more patients per hour ($), in which case sound ethics are being displayed.

You just never know till you talk it out.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are putting the resume in the B list for reasons other than a poor resume (lots of typos, 20 font, contact email is sexy_teddy etc been there done that) then maybe you are justified. If however the only reason they are going into the B list is a previous employer then maybe you should take a second look. Many people start with a chain to get the on-the-job education and the chain will foot the cetification test. As posted earlier if they are leaving it could be for a good reason.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Paul - If the job applicant thought that you were discriminating against him because he at one time worked for Wal-Mart then perhaps he might be justified in asking if HE wants to work for YOU.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    In some areas that's all there is an LC or Wal-mart or a company owned by Lux besides an occasional Sterling . You should really give them a shot and put them in the "B" pile after you talk to them.

Just my 2 cents

Thumbs up A list

I have to say that I managed a WM store for 5 years, simply because there was NO OTHER place hiring in town. I had been unemployed for 6 months. That's the longest I'd ever been without work.
    I did my certification, I trained all the other associates in the store and helped them pass the ABO. I finally left once I moved to another area that had better opportunities.
    I would never go back to Walmart, but I would never disqualify someone because it was on their resume.

Good question though. I always wondered if it affected anyone that was looking at MY resume.

I say - give them a shot - don't discriminate before you give them a chance.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel,

because those who mind don't matter
    and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hired one of my best opticians from a recently opened WM in my area.

If I'm interviewing someone and they go on about how much the love WM (yes, it's happened), or they have been there for 6 or 7 years, then they wouldn't be my first choice. If they want to get out of it for the reasons most folks would, I welcome them with open arms. My philosophy is that if they can handle WM, they can handle anything.

The same goes for McDonalds... When I need a receptionist, I go to McDonalds in the middle of lunch/rush, and see which of the workers has the biggest smile, and isn't caving under the pressure. Talk about a training ground!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=eyegirl]Good question though. I always wondered if it affected anyone that was looking at MY resume.[QUOTE]

This was the question I asked my self. I thought I would start a thread as though I was getting ready to hire some one to see your responses. The job I have know is the first after having worked/managed for WM. I just recently(a few weeks ago) sent my resume in for a couple other positions and never got a call. I know this sounds like I'm whinning, and I guess I am, but I have never not got an interview for any job I have sent a resume in for. I agree with you all, I was just looking for some input. Thanks
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Of course having Walmart on your resume won't hurt, it's a big brand and they looks good on the resume. That said, it'sn't so much the name of the company that's important but instead the way you structure your resume and even more so what you put in it. For example as you've worked in retail then take a look at this resume for some ideas: https://www.mintresume.com/resumes/sales-retail make sure you include both your responsibilities and your achievements and if you did sales at all try to quantify the targets and KPIs you met.
    Last edited by Flooren; 04-07-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would suggest being honest (that way you don't have to remember so much~Yogi Berra).

We are a relatively small group and the grapevine will tell us everything we need to know about you soon enough.

P.S. Never ever burn bridges!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did a few years with National Vision (in a Walmart location). Then the parole board met and I was released. Did I enjoy it? Not really. I liked the people I worked with, but we all hated the company and were all looking for other positions. However, the economy was in the toilet and we all had to feed our families. After I left and returned to an ophthalmology practice, I hired an optician who had worked at LC. We had a great relationship for 8 years until I retired. I would say that you are hiring the person, not their previous employer. Keep an open mind.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I worked for a few chains early in my career. VisionWorks and LensCrafters had comprehensive, exhaustive training for all of their lab technicians that continues to help me every single day on the job. 95% of what I know about optics comes from corporate training programs. I strongly, strongly​ recommend against looking down your nose at people who started their careers in corporate optical.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information