Thread: Latest and Greatest Progressive

OptiBoard Apprentice

Latest and Greatest Progressive

I'm getting ready to go for my annual appointment and was just soliciting inputs on the "best" designs for progressives. I was really happy one prescription ago, but have not been that thrilled this go-around. I have the Varilux Panamic (same progressive I had before).

First, I am wondering if the prescription is off. I am still using the middle zone of the lens at about 10 feet. Things have to be pretty far off before I use the top zone. Also, from day one, I can read better when I take the glasses off versus wearing them. They told be that this is normal, because I am "looking through something".

Anyway, the main question is about the new progressive designs. Is there something better than Panamic. I spend a lot of time at work staring at a computer screen and looking up to talk to people.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ask your optician about the Ziess Gradal RD. RD stands for room distance. So, anything within about 10 feet should be clear with a much wider field of vision than the Panamic. Anything beyond 10 feet would be blurred, so this would be a task specific lens meant only for office use, not driving and the like.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Need another pair.....................

Your new prescription is made for distance on top, which is infinity, and reading at the bottom, which usually about 1 foot or 30cm.

Anything between infinity and reading distance you will see clear through your progressive part which can be bothersome for long time use.

You will have to get a pair of glasses as Shanebug suggests, a pair that is for office work only. At that point I like a regular straight top bifocal with a large reading segment for desk work.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good grief! Another one...

Quote Originally Posted by Shanebug
    I'm getting ready to go for my annual appointment and was just soliciting inputs on the "best" designs for progressives. I was really happy one prescription ago, but have not been that thrilled this go-around. I have the Varilux Panamic (same progressive I had before).

First, I am wondering if the prescription is off. I am still using the middle zone of the lens at about 10 feet. Things have to be pretty far off before I use the top zone. Also, from day one, I can read better when I take the glasses off versus wearing them. They told be that this is normal, because I am "looking through something".

Anyway, the main question is about the new progressive designs. Is there something better than Panamic. I spend a lot of time at work staring at a computer screen and looking up to talk to people.
    Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good Grief Another One!

.:cheers: .

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

You may want to try the Varilux computer V3, which is set for Close, screen and 2metres for vocational use. As you are used to Essilor products you couls upgrade your Panamics to Ipseo in addition to V3's. Speak with your ECP about the options available and also why you have had difficulties with your present pair, sometime common if the reading add has increased.

Lewy

OptiBoard Apprentice

Reading Add

I think you must be right about the difficulties I have with the newest prescription. They increased the add. They told be that, in so doing, it requires more precise positioning of the lens for reading. I guess I don't quite understand why they did that, since I have no trouble reading without any glasses!

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    It depends upon your long distance correction. I guess from your comments that you are shortsighted. It may be that the reading add cancels out the distance correction. That said, from a practical point of view the Panamic is still better than having to remove your specs everytime you want to read.

Lewy

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did a search on this board for about every progressive design I could think of that is being used right now and came up with several discussions on them. So, please tell me why can't everyone else do that so that the same questions aren't asked over and over and over and over again. Geez....will it ever end? I don't mind helping people but the numerous amounts of questions about progressives by consumers on here is ridiculous especially since they can find out the answer their asking by searching the forum. That's what I did and found EVERYTHING I was looking for.

Sorry to vent, but geez, the title of the forum is going to have to be changed to the Consumer Progressiveboard soon.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you must be right about the difficulties I have with the newest prescription. They increased the add. They told be that, in so doing, it requires more precise positioning of the lens for reading. I guess I don't quite understand why they did that, since I have no trouble reading without any glasses!
    It is the hope of the moderators that new members will apply their ability to read what the moderators have written, assimilate it, and apply what they have learned.

Thread closed.

Repeat offenders will lose the privilidge to post.Members are requested to report these posts. (thats a period) Not respond to them.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information