Thread: Ellipse lens

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Ellipse lens

hey - I just started wearing a progressive (which, of course, I got at work) and it's an Ovation (which is what we sell as standard). I have a really narrow, small face and had trouble finding frames in our stock which look good on me and also hold a PAL.

Of course, AFTER I get my new glasses I find out about Essilor's Ellipse lens. Has anyone ever worn one of these? Are they hard to get used to? I can't imagine a 14m seg ht - sounds like a fun house experience.

Thanks!

Bad address email on file Papa G's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ellipse

I have only sold two pair of the ellipse lens so far, and I have not had any complaints about gettting used to it from my customers. They are both long time, repeat customers also, so if there was any trouble I'm sure they would come back and let me know. You just maybe sacrificing a little bit of Intermediate.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We do a lot with the Ellipse. The clients love it. The lens have a very clear distance and near.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ellipse

Thanks - to both of you.

I guess next time around I'll have to try it. I discovered it while I was researching lenses (after I got my current new glasses) and mentioned it to my boss and now she's mentioning it to customers as well, so we'll see what the response is.

As to the sacrifice - what I gave up with my current progressive was the reading, as the bottom area got sliced off by the lab in order to fit my frame and oc. Which is really my own fault as I should have known better, but you know how you never really know until you wear it yourself?? The good news is that NOW I feel SO much more able to train new progressive wearers! (And to more easily judge who to steer away from PALS - LOL).

Once you get your feet wet...
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Working with many of the short corridor lenses, my experience is that if the frame is properly fit/adjusted and the patient knows what to expect (how PAL's work and the short difference) then most will do fine. You should have had the information to know before hand if the ovation was the correct choice and what the ellipse is. My guess is that you are missing qualified people at your lab to let you know about all products available and to call you to make sure that the ovation is really what you wanted (this is assuming that you sent it in with a lower seg than 19mm). If you rally needed the 14mm then the ovation was a very poor choice.

The ellipse is a great lens on paper but I do find that for myself and many other offices other choices result in a fine and less costly choice.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ellipse

Yes - and thanks for that.

The truth is - I am fairly new (apprectice optician, sitting for my ABO in May) and I got the new pair (and PAL) after only having been there for a few weeks. I got talked into a multifocal by one of our senior opticians who was on her way out and I now feel that she wanted a sale more than she wanted to sit down and analyze my situation.

However, that being said, it has been a GREAT learning experience for me in terms of dealing with customers (and I had a lady yesterday, matter of fact) who INSIST on wanting a PAL in a frame with a "B" measurement of like 27 - 28mm. I now have PRACTICAL personal experience and can explain WHY they need what they need.

So it's all good. Steep curve but I'm climbing quickly.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So far I have only had one person not like the Ellipse. The other 10 have LOVED them.

I also have patients in the Piccolo that are pleased as well.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Ellipse experience

I just sent a post on my experience today, if you're interested in finding it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Ellipse- great lens, but not for Everyone

I have fit around 50 patients for the Ellipse and, overall, the feedback I've received boils down to this:
    Patients switching to the Ellipse from another Varilux progressive (like Comfort or Liberty) have no problem adjusting to the Ellipse, although some are a bit disappointed with the shorter intermediate area.
    Patients switching from non-Varilux progressives can take a little longer to adjust than established Varilux wearers, but we've had no non-adapts with these patients.
    Though I'm not crazy about putting an Ellipse on a first-time multi-focal wearer, the "first-timers" fitted with Ellipse lenses don't seem to have any more difficulty adjusting than those fitted with Panamics.
    ALL of our Ellipse non-adapts have been patients switching from lined bi-focals to progressives, who demanded frames with impossibly short B measurements, and who refused to believe there really are significant design differences in progressive lens styles- and that the Ellipse would not be the best choice for making this often difficult switch.
    I've fit around 7-8 such patients with Ellipse lenses and 4-5 of them ended up being non-adapts. All of these non-adapts had one other thing in common-none of them stopped wearing their old bi-focal glasses for "up-close" tasks even though we repeatedly emphasized the importance of not switching back and forth between the new and old glasses during the adjustment period.

Does any one else on this board dream of being able to demand that a patient turn over all of their old prescription glasses- and any readers they possess- before progressive lenses could be dispensed to them? (We wouldn't have to keep them forever.......just for a couple of weeks......)
    ;)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Or...

How about DEMANDING that when they come in and buy a new pair they either get new Rx sunglasses or switch to plano? That drives me crazy, "oh, I can only afford to do the main pair right now". Even if it's only s/v, you know they are wearing their old Rx in a sunglass. http://www.optiboard.com/forums/newr...te=1&p=139562#

Thread Information