Thread: Uni-Clip Review

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Uni-Clip Review

Here is a review I wrote. I couldn't figure out how to post it other than to do it as an attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Uni-clip_review.pdf  

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    To be completely honest with you I had troubles with Uni-Clip. Maybe it was the lab that was putting it together, but after a year I would have the ends break off from the lenses.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

I also wrote a Review for Uni-Clip

Here is a review that I wrote regarding the Uni-Clip system. I had just tried this system in my own lab. Had used other custom clips but first time manufacturing a Uni-Clip in my lab.

Quality: 4

Ease of use: 5

Client acceptance (if applicable): 5

Customer service of the manufacturer or distributor: 5

Value: 4

Overall: 4.25

The Uni-Clip system is a custom clip system. I have used 3 other manufacturers custom clips and have now tried this one. This system uses a rimless design with the clips that hold the clip to the frame being plastic. This is the one area that I see a possible problem. These clips are a hard molded plastic. On other systems it is typically metal. I don’t know the durability of this molded plastic piece but could see this as a week point. However they could easily be replaced if needed. They send three different sizes of these plastic clips with every clip set. There is a different size to use depending on the thickness of the prescription lenses. The clips are held onto the polarized lenses with small setscrews. I have used both adhesive and compression type and this method seems to hold the lenses well. I believe that if assembled correctly there shouldn’t be any problems in terms of it falling apart. I think that this system is a good system for what you pay for. Very economical solution for custom-clips. I have used some other systems where you pay a lot more for the Flexon Metal and a number of different metal colors and lens options etc… So I wouldn’t say this is the top of the line custom clip, but would make a very nice clip for the average patient that is looking for a clip without wanting to spend as much as paying for a pair of Rx Suns. The company, Acuity, was very good to work with in getting an account set up and helping. They were easy to edge and assemble in the lab, took Very little time compared to some. I would use this clip system again. Prices were very good on their lenses and complete system as well. Good system!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    To be completely honest with you I had troubles with Uni-Clip. Maybe it was the lab that was putting it together, but after a year I would have the ends break off from the lenses.
    Hi For-Life,

We do have a couple of labs in Canada, who can do the Uni-Clip job perfectly. It's true that it's difficult to control all labs to provide the same perfect quality. However, in view of this, we started an audit system since 6 months ago to make sure all our authorized labs reaching the same high craftsmanship level. We just audited one in Toranto, and perhaps we can refer you to them for another trial if you send me an email?

Lak Cheong
    Acuity Optical USA, Inc.
    www.uni-clip.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

The nylon-12 clasps

Quote Originally Posted by culland
    Here is a review that I wrote regarding the Uni-Clip system. I had just tried this system in my own lab. Had used other custom clips but first time manufacturing a Uni-Clip in my lab.

Quality: 4

Ease of use: 5

Client acceptance (if applicable): 5

Customer service of the manufacturer or distributor: 5

Value: 4

Overall: 4.25

The Uni-Clip system is a custom clip system. I have used 3 other manufacturers custom clips and have now tried this one. This system uses a rimless design with the clips that hold the clip to the frame being plastic. This is the one area that I see a possible problem. These clips are a hard molded plastic. On other systems it is typically metal. I don’t know the durability of this molded plastic piece but could see this as a week point. However they could easily be replaced if needed. They send three different sizes of these plastic clips with every clip set. There is a different size to use depending on the thickness of the prescription lenses. The clips are held onto the polarized lenses with small setscrews. I have used both adhesive and compression type and this method seems to hold the lenses well. I believe that if assembled correctly there shouldn’t be any problems in terms of it falling apart. I think that this system is a good system for what you pay for. Very economical solution for custom-clips. I have used some other systems where you pay a lot more for the Flexon Metal and a number of different metal colors and lens options etc… So I wouldn’t say this is the top of the line custom clip, but would make a very nice clip for the average patient that is looking for a clip without wanting to spend as much as paying for a pair of Rx Suns. The company, Acuity, was very good to work with in getting an account set up and helping. They were easy to edge and assemble in the lab, took Very little time compared to some. I would use this clip system again. Prices were very good on their lenses and complete system as well. Good system!
    Please allow me to clarify......the molded plastic clips(the clasps engaging the frame side) is precision molded with nylon-12 material, a very durable plastic material but NOT HARD enough to scratch any Rx lens or AR coating. It is of course not as tough as metal clasps in most other custom clip system. The first generation Uni-Clip also had metal clasps but later we had a change in design philosophy. It's not wise to have a super durable and crushproof clasp but easy to scratch Rx lenses and AR coats which is a lot more expensive than the clip-on. We thus adapt this new scratch-proof nylon clasp system but make it a very easy modular system to replace new clasps. We also change the original soft pouch to the current hard case so that users won't easily break the clasps. Under proper use, the nylon-12 clasps should last a long time.....

Lak Cheong
    Acuity Optical USA, Inc.
    www.uni-clip.com

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Clip Review

We tried the Uni-Clip for the first time today...

Quality: 5

Ease of Use: 5

Customer Service : N/A (Haven't had to use yet

Value: 5

We received the sample kit a few weeks ago, but didn't have the occasion to use it until this morning.

To be honest, I can't see where a lab could have any issues with this product. There was no part of the process that I would describe as difficult. I sold the first pair to a lady, and while I was waiting on her sister, we edged her lenses, edged the clip lenses, and assembled everything in less than 15 minutes. The sister was so impressed that she bought a pair for herself, which required us to take the sample apart and use that to make the sale.

The first pair was loose at first, but a quick adjustment solved the problem, and they worked fine.

The only downside is that they look like traditional over the counter clips in that they have the middle piece that arcs over the bridge. It would be great if these could be designed to be a little more "discreet" in design. Next to the mag clips, they look awkward, but neither of the ladies that purchased them today seemed to care. The nice thing is that both purchases were high end, and wouldn't have happened without the Uni-clip because they were both insisting on clips, and were leaning towards the much cheaper, although not as stylish mags.

All-in -all, we were quite pleased. We'll definitely be ordering more.

Johns

Thread Information