Thread: just got progressives today

OptiBoard Novice

just got progressives today

I just got my first pair of progressive lenses, as at 43 I am not interested in bifocal lines. With these new glasses I have virtually no peripheral vision in the upper (supposedly) hourglass area of the lenses, as the vision is totally blurred on the sides so that I have only a narrow range of vision (essentially straight ahead). Apparently, the lenses are... AO Compact...

I just want to know if it is an unreasonable expectation to have peripheral vision? Is this the reality of progressives? Do I have any options here? I feel handicapped and, besides, living in NC means that the need for defensive driving requires peripheral vision

My prescription is -3.50, -3.25 and 1.75 prog.

Thanks for any help.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    These are all issues you and your dispensing optician should have talked about during the lens selection and dispensing process. He/she is the best person to consult in this situation.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No one is interested in a line, no one is interested in bifocals, No one is interested in progressives, no one is even interested in glasses. These are tools to do the job with. If you want to see peripherally well get a line and be dissinterested, you will see.
    This is much like useing the proper sized and designed wrench to turn a bolt. Sure sometimes pliers or vice-grips will do the job, but the right tool will do the job right.

Chip:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed. --OptiBoard Posting Guidelines

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately RJ the problems associated with multifocals are rarely brought up but as judy has mentioned since we know nothing of your history nstairs it is impossible to diagnose. That said if i were you i would go back and make sure i understand why i have no peripheral vision :)

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Nstairs,

I would expect a certain amount of peripheral vision with your simple(ish) correction. If you lower your chin to the floor a little and then look out at the sides does that improve matters? It may be that the lenses are fitting a tad high especially if you have chosen a narrow depth frame, the Optician may have fitted them high so as to get all the reading area within the frame. Please return to your Optician and discuss your concerns with him.

Lewy

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks for that input Lewy. That is what I was wondering and had already been playing around with what you suggested. The frame is about 25mm in height and I tend to wear my glasses high on my nose. I am also finding after less than a half-day of full-time wear that my eyes are starting to ache which is totally unusual for me. I don't know if that is a common problem in adapting but I suspect more that it may well be that the problem is that the prescription is fitted high. Thanks for giving me some basis for discussion with the optician.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go back to your optician. Many times adjusting the frame will make a huge difference. He/she can also recheck everything and make sure the lenses are correctly placed.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just so a consumer knows:

What really drives an eyecare professional nuts is when you show up with a problem, and your own solution to your problem.

Go to your professional and talk about your PROBLEM, not what you think went wrong, what you think needs to be done, etc. It's just an annoying waste of time.

The better information you can give on your problem, the better the professional will be in solving it. Your opinion on what needs to be done just gets in the way.

:)

Shame on you, Lewy, for planting a seed in this patient's head that the progressives are fitted high. Now this person is likely going to take your "guess" over what the optician's analysis is. Trying to be helpful oftentimes backfires...:finger:

OptiBoard Novice
    Yes, shame on Lewy for providing a response that did not deride the questioner and the validity of the concern. I would not be looking for information had my "professonal" provided information and direction. All I was looking for was an indication that there could be a valid concern so that I would not be brushed off when I return to the office. Or could at least ask the right kinds of questions and make an informed decision as to the next step if I were. Thanks again Lewy.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nstairs
    Yes, shame on Lewy for providing a response that did not deride the questioner and the validity of the concern. I would not be looking for information had my "professonal" provided information and direction. All I was looking for was an indication that there could be a valid concern so that I would not be brushed off when I return to the office. Or could at least ask the right kinds of questions and make an informed decision as to the next step if I were. Thanks again Lewy.
    Nstairs,
    We were not deriding you, but directing you back to the person who knows you optical history, the frame selection, etc. As Judy pointed out to you earlier and I will remind you again of the posting rules for consumers:

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed. --OptiBoard Posting Guidelines
    Nobody who recommended you go back to your optician was deriding you, only trying to get you an answer from the source you should be going back to.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Thread Information