Thread: Is adapting to a smaller progressive lens fairly easy for most people?

OptiBoard Apprentice

Question Is adapting to a smaller progressive lens fairly easy for most people?

Hello again~

I wrote previously about bringing my own frames in to be fitted with progressive lenses. I was told by the optical person that I would need a different type for smaller glass frames. He said there would be an adjustment from my old style.

Those of you who are opticians here--how long would you say it generally takes a person to acclimate to a smaller progressive lens? These new frames quite a bit smaller than my present ones. The optician mentioned something about not having much intermediate vision. Does this make a large difference in learning to wear them? Is each viewing area considered extreme?

I'm grateful for any thoughts anyone has.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    depends on a couple of factors...

what lens were you wearing before?
    how old are you?
    what is your add power?
    how much intermediate work do you do?
    how adaptable of a person are you?
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Oh my. Let's see. I'm not positive what progressive lens I have now. I believe they might call it The Comfort lens. Don't quote me on that! :-) My previous optometrist retired, so this is new office for me. I am 58. My add power? I take it you mean my progressive prescription for close-up? I see here that it says +2.50. I am normally nearsighted having worn glasses nearly most of my life.

By intermediate work do you mean looking at something that is neither too far away or close up? I've never really given it much thought. These glasses I now wear seem to take care of all my visual needs. All except for the way the frames look on my face. LARGE! :-) They also are looking worn. When I am at the computer they work just fine. I may continue to use these if my new ones won't suffice. Is that a possibility?

Adaptable? I feel like I am a fairly adaptable person. I hope that will carry over to these new eyeglasses! Thank you for your time. I guess I will not know how I acclimate until I actually have them on my eyes for a time.

Quote Originally Posted by karen
    depends on a couple of factors...

what lens were you wearing before?
    how old are you?
    what is your add power?
    how much intermediate work do you do?
    how adaptable of a person are you?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    See, here's the thing. It sounds like your optical person is talking about what would be termed a "short corridor progressive" They are great for first time progressive wearers, people with lower add powers (yep, that's your prescription for close up and I would consider anything +2.00 or lower to be a better candidate for short corridors but that is my personal optician opinion) Because you are 58 (that is certainly not old but your eye muscles need more help compensating than say a 45 year old) and you are used to wearing a full field progressive-if it is really a Comfort-you may find that a short corridor does not perform well for you in the intermediate. Some of your success will likely depend on the lens design and if it was measured properly. That being said you may have no trouble at all. Everybody adapts differently. Good luck!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Thank you Karen! That was a lot of information you gave me. Probably more than the optical people in my optometrist's office.

Oh my. Now I wonder if I picked the wrong frame. I simply love the looks of it on me. In fact it's hard to put my current glasses back on after trying the frame on!

Well, tomorrow I'll go in and see what they say. I really had no problem when I got my first pair of progressives many moons ago. But then maybe as you said I had a lot more space in the lenses to look through. Smaller frames didn't even seem to be an option in those days. Or maybe they just weren't in style.

Thank you again and I'll keep a positive outlook!

Quote Originally Posted by karen
    See, here's the thing. It sounds like your optical person is talking about what would be termed a "short corridor progressive" They are great for first time progressive wearers, people with lower add powers (yep, that's your prescription for close up and I would consider anything +2.00 or lower to be a better candidate for short corridors but that is my personal optician opinion) Because you are 58 (that is certainly not old but your eye muscles need more help compensating than say a 45 year old) and you are used to wearing a full field progressive-if it is really a Comfort-you may find that a short corridor does not perform well for you in the intermediate. Some of your success will likely depend on the lens design and if it was measured properly. That being said you may have no trouble at all. Everybody adapts differently. Good luck!

Bad address email on file Psalls's Avatar
    I have put plenty of people into short corridors with 2.50 adds with no problems. It's all in the presentation and getting the proper height to distance relantiohsnip. That is, having enough room up top so they can see clearly. Granted, 2.50's are more challenging, but I don't shy away from selling shorts to them.

Thread Information