Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does W get his information?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Where does W get his information?

"The world can have peace only if people of different religions live together in peace, and India is a good example of that," Bush told religious leaders at a closed-door meeting at the Maurya Sheraton's Sky Lounge on Thursday afternoon
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1436617.cms

Violence erupted in the city of Lucknow when dozens of armed Muslims tried to force Hindu shop owners to shut their stores to protest Bush's visit, said Senior Superintendent of Police Ashutosh Pandey. The two sides argued, exchanged blows, and finally shot at each other, killing a Muslim teenager, Pandey said.

http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/feeds/ap/2006/03/03/ap2568266.html

When Afsana, an 18-year-old Muslim living on the outskirts of the Gujarati capital of Ahmadabad, heard last Wednesday that a Muslim mob had torched a train, the Sabarmati Express, at Godhra, she was appalled—and very, very frightened. She knew that revenge would be nigh. Her neighborhood, Naroda, is largely Hindu. On the day after the Godhra killings, local Hindu leaders gathered a crowd of 2,000 residents and gave them simple instructions: Muslims had to be destroyed. When part of the mob reached Afsana's house, she fled with her five-year-old brother to a Hindu neighbor's house. From the neighbor's roof, Afsana saw the mob pull her parents from their home, douse them in gasoline and set them alight. Her four sisters were stripped, raped and killed. Along the lanes, other Muslim houses were burning.
    http://www.time.com/time/asia/featur...hya/cover.html

Can you say "out of touch with reality"?
    Last edited by Spexvet; 03-06-2006 at 11:07 AM.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Well, his academic record is lackluster, he traveled out of the country twice before being elected President (Imagine having all the resources he had and not taking advantage of them to see the world. The utter lack of curiosity is stunning.), he admits to not reading the paper or watching the news.

Hey.....where does he get his information???

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do your really trust what's on the Air and in the Paper?

Where could he go that's better than Texas? Presumably he has better more reliable sources than TV and newspapers for information. Some sources even reputed to be without bias.I seldom read the paper anymore myself, it's too depressing.

Occupation
    Do I trust what I read or hear on TV/radio? Well the trick is to access many different sources isn't it? After all, if I don't read the paper or listen to radio/TV or access news on the internet, where am I going to find out about what's going on in, oh say Turkey? (In my case, I don't have any contacts in Turkey so....)

I am open to suggestions.:) Fortune cookies, notes in bottles, chicken entrails....

As to where he could go better than Texas--hey I am with you bro!! Would he had stayed there!!!

As for his having "better, more reliable" sources of info: isn't this the guy who claimed he didn't realize the levees in NO were breaching til he heard it on the news???? And who listened only to his cronies re WMD and the likely outcome in Iraq?

He may have other sources, but more reliable--he would be hard pressed to find a group less reliable IMO!!!!
    Last edited by chm2023; 03-06-2006 at 12:40 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CHM: If you had paid attention to anything other than Barbara Boucher, for news you would have heard that the governess of Louisianna was on the phone with W at the time the levies had breached and were dumping unGodly amounts of water into the Ninth ward that they just had a little spillage over the top of the levy and the levies were not expected to breach (collapse). This was on "the news just Saturday and yesterday."

No leader of this country will ever be able to keep up with all the details of each department, who runs that department, who is in the trenches, etc? He wouldn't know the Russians had missles on the way until someone from the department of defense calls him and tells him. You didn't really think he sits around watching DOD screens for signs of invasion, or Weather people on the ground contact him first when there's a problem did you?

If Johnny in the lab cuts his finger does he report to the president of the corporation first. No the president of the company (if large) only hears from the lawyers if a suite is pending.

Get real, the people in the trenches couldn't communicate with the head of state if they wanted to.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Do your really trust what's on the Air and in the Paper?
    Where could he go that's better than Texas? Presumably he has better more reliable sources than TV and newspapers for information. Some sources even reputed to be without bias.I seldom read the paper anymore myself, it's too depressing.
    Some things I have learned from TV and Newspaper news:

The Steelers won the Superbowl.
    President Clinton had inappropriate sexual contact with an intern in the oval office.
    Texans have low IQs.
    President Bush is dumb.
    Ted Kennedy drove off a bridge and MaryJo Kopekny died as a result.
    Al Gore may have takenillegal donations in a Buddhist temple.
    Saddam Husssein has WMD.
    Saddam Hussein doesn't have WMD.

Should I trust this information? Is it reliable? Is it biased? Or is the mainstream media only trustworthy, reliable and unbiased when it reports something that you agree with or favors your point of view?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    CHM: If you had paid attention to anything other than Barbara Boucher, for news you would have heard that the governess of Louisianna was on the phone with W at the time the levies had breached and were dumping unGodly amounts of water into the Ninth ward that they just had a little spillage over the top of the levy and the levies were not expected to breach (collapse). This was on "the news just Saturday and yesterday."

No leader of this country will ever be able to keep up with all the details of each department, who runs that department, who is in the trenches, etc? He wouldn't know the Russians had missles on the way until someone from the department of defense calls him and tells him. You didn't really think he sits around watching DOD screens for signs of invasion, or Weather people on the ground contact him first when there's a problem did you?

If Johnny in the lab cuts his finger does he report to the president of the corporation first. No the president of the company (if large) only hears from the lawyers if a suite is pending.

Get real, the people in the trenches couldn't communicate with the head of state if they wanted to.
    Who is Barbara Boucher? I don't know what W spends his time doing. Your view of leadership is quite passive though. If Johnny cuts his finger in the lab, no biggie. But if Johnny and his cohorts have repeated accidents, then the president of the company needs to know. Having worked in big companies, allow me to assure you that if the head guy only finds out about something when "a suit is pending", well either the head guy or his minions are history PDQ.

Occupation

Please............................

Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    Well, his academic record is lackluster,
    You must think they give away undergraduate degrees from Yale and Business MBA's from Harvard.

Problem is you continue to get your information from leftist sources who believe all that BS. If he's so stupid then why has he repeatedly defeated political opponents who were hailed as elite academic scholars.

Rep

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    You must think they give away undergraduate degrees from Yale and Business MBA's from Harvard.

Problem is you continue to get your information from leftist sources who believe all that BS. If he's so stupid then why has he repeatedly defeated political opponents who were hailed as elite academic scholars.

Rep
    Because the people who vote for him are like him. :p
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vote for the green party!

Occupation
    Optometrist

Rep
    I rarely get involved with politics on this forum, and not to knock our President, but Karl Rove could've gotten a pet rock elected president and kept it there.

AA

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Because the people who vote for him are like him. :p

Don't we all vote for the person we are more like?

P.s. Rather you believe it or not, there is a book out there that tells us that "world Peace" is not going to happen on this side of our lives

Occupation
    Optometrist
    If he's so stupid then why has he repeatedly defeated political opponents who were hailed as elite academic scholars.
    I would hardly call Kerry an elite academic scholar...His grades were as average as the President's were.

AA

Occupation

Posters should look in a mirror ...

"The world can have peace only if people of different religions live together in peace, and India is a good example of that," Bush told religious leaders at a closed-door meeting at the Maurya Sheraton's Sky Lounge.
    India has over a billion people. If they didn't get along most of the time, it wouldn't remain united as a single country, as it has since 1947. The episodes of sectarian violence that Spexvet cites (at the very top of the thread) are important and newsworthy, but not characteristic of India.

More germane, however: What would any US President have to say in that situation? W went to India to represent our national interests in that region and in particular, to foster some potentially valuable future business for the US nuclear power industry. Was he going to say "Ya' know, the trouble with all you Indians is that you just can't get along with each other?" I guess that's what John Kerry would have said if he'd been elected.

These are troubled times for the Bush administration. With so many real issues to take up, it's ironic that some posters continue in their customary vein of pointless, ad hominem style attacks on the President - posts that just get - well, Dumb and Dumber. Or "Dumb as a post".

This thread reveals far more about the myopic world view of certain OptiBoard posters than anything in particular about President Bush.

Insofar as one can define existentialism, it is a movement from the abstract and the general to the particular and the concrete ...
    Last edited by rinselberg; 03-07-2006 at 08:38 AM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh my God! Reislberg is a Repulican!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan
    I rarely get involved with politics on this forum, and not to knock our President, but Karl Rove could've gotten a pet rock elected president and kept it there.

AA
    And here I thought that's exactly what he did.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    ...The episodes of sectarian violence that Spexvet cites (at the very top of the thread) are important and newsworthy, but not characteristic of India.
    I think you're mistaken.
    More germane, however: What would any US President have to say in that situation? W went to India to represent our national interests in that region and in particular, to foster some potentially valuable future business for the US nuclear power industry. Was he going to say "Ya' know, the trouble with all you Indians is that you just can't get along with each other?" I guess that's what John Kerry would have said if he'd been elected.
    How about complimenting them on things that they actually do well, like "Y'all are working HARRRRRRD and doin' a great job takin' jobs away from Americans". Or "I commend you on avoiding war with your neighbor, Pakistan, given the comflict the two countries have had in Kashmir. You have shown admirable restraint". To compliment them on relgious tolerance would be like complimenting former US Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham, who pleaded guilty last year to taking $2.4 million in bribes, on his high morals.
    These are troubled times for the Bush administration. With so many real issues to take up,
    Like a line item veto bill?
    it's ironic that some posters continue in their customary vein of pointless, ad hominem style attacks on the President - posts that just get - well, Dumb and Dumber. Or "Dumb as a post".
    This thread reveals far more about the myopic world view of certain OptiBoard posters than anything in particular about President Bush.
    And same for those who defend this president, regardless of his inneptitude. Rinnsey, you're part of a 38% minority that thinks W is doing a good job.

A separate survey, conducted by Zogby America from Feb. 27 to March 2, showed Bush's job approval rating at 38 percent, down from 40 percent a month earlier. Twenty-eight percent of Bush's base of Republicans gave him a poor performance evaluation, the Zogby poll showed.
    For a fourth straight survey, a majority of those polled said they didn't view Bush as honest and trustworthy, up from 32 percent during his first months in office, the poll showed. Forty-four percent said they are in worse shape financially since he took office in January 2001.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...top_world_news
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Oh my God! Reislberg is a Repulican!

Great!

P.S. Not to many administrations have had a major attack on US soil, two hurricane seasons that have literay torn our shores apart. :D

Occupation

Rep
    Almost. He got in as a legacy and got "gentleman's Cs". And PS, as a graduate of a top tier MBA school--where I was accepted on merit--let me assure you, there are a lot of dim bulbs with MBAs. Especially at the better schools where a lot of students with connections but little else matriculate. And if you think that Bush orchestrated his election victories you are beyond naive. Don't you ever wonder why Rove keeps W on such a short leash? Very few press conferences, appears only before hand picked audiences? Hell every CEO has to face his stockholders once a year.

I know that placing value on intellect is somehow regarded as wildly left-wing (and think a moment about what that says....), but W is an object lesson in the dangers of a less than excellent mind at the helm.

This Dubai port situation is a classic example--our ports are arguably our most vulnerable point, there has scarcely been any upgrade to security post 9/11. Who is charged with parsing out contracts? The Treasury Dept--because this administration sees port admin and management as just another way to attract foreign investment. Remember the comment that 9/11 was "a failure of imagination"? Ring any bells? So W's lack of wit places us in the position of grossly insulting an ally in a part of the world where we need allies desperately. Oh I know, "he didn't know." It's his frigging job to know. He's incapable of grasping the larger picture and actively driving policy. His whole President-as-victim act is getting real, real old.

9/11--Clinton's and Bush One's fault
    Iraq bad info--Tenet's fault
    lack of equipment for troops--Pentagon's fault
    torture scandal--low ranking troops' fault
    Iraq quagmire--insurgents' fault
    inability to get anything done re Social Security--democrats' fault
    inability to get anything done re skyrocketing medical costs--Hillary's fault
    inability to get anything done re immigration--Congress's fault
    Katrina response--"Brownie's" and state/local officials' fault
    Dubai port uproar--Congress' fault
    Valerie Plame leak--Joe Wilson's fault
    exploding deficit--media's fault (as it is apparently not a problem)
    lack of coherent economic policy to replace lost manufacturing jobs--media's fault, see above.

Ah leadership. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of "Team of Rivals", Goodwin's latest book. It talks about Lincoln and how he had the wisdom and intelligence to embrace his rivals (from in and outside of his own party) to provide leadership in a time slightly more difficult than ours. Here was a man who was essentially self taught, who craved learning and knowledge.

Does intellect matter? You bet your sweet a** it does. My blood runs cold when I think that W is the best we have to negotiate with the likes of Putin. Heaven help us.
    Last edited by chm2023; 03-07-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Occupation

Bush critics getting warmer

That last post by chm2023 - that was a post. It makes a statement. It could be accepted, or disputed - as a package or line by line - it's something to talk about.

The post at the very top of this thread - give me a break! That is about the single lamest attempt to criticize the President that I've ever seen on this forum. I'd be more persuaded by someone bashing the President's taste in neckties, then I was by that very first post. Review it. Review what I said about it. DONE!

To compliment [India] on [their] religious tolerance would be like complimenting Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham, who pleaded guilty last year to taking $2.4 million in bribes, on his high morals.
    W offering that compliment to India - whether he was being sincere or not - was not even remotely like complimenting a corrupt legislator on his ethics. Cunningham was a Republican - fine. We got that. Any other relevance to the discussion, as it was going in this thread? Not that I can see.

Like a line item veto bill?
    A line item veto bill. Well, now there's something to talk about. I don't know - sounds like a good idea to me. Good or bad, at least it's a topic. Congratulations!

Learn more about DP World - the UAE company at the center of the U.S. ports controversy:
    http://www.laramyk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=193
    Last edited by rinselberg; 03-07-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some things I have learned from TV and Newspaper news:

The Steelers won the Superbowl.
    President Clinton had inappropriate sexual contact with an intern in the oval office.
    Texans have low IQs.
    President Bush is dumb.
    Ted Kennedy drove off a bridge and MaryJo Kopekny died as a result.
    Al Gore may have takenillegal donations in a Buddhist temple.
    Saddam Husssein has WMD.
    Saddam Hussein doesn't have WMD.

Should I trust this information? Is it reliable? Is it biased? Or is the mainstream media only trustworthy, reliable and unbiased when it reports something that you agree with or favors your point of view?
    Hey, the papers here in Texas have never printed that Texans have low IQs! Are they hiding something from us??

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A new word for you.

Any of you libs know the difference between freedom and freedumb?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    geographical location? political affiliation? gender? religion? age? does anyone care?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The post at the very top of this thread - give me a break! That is about the single lamest attempt to criticize the President that I've ever seen on this forum. I'd be more persuaded by someone bashing the President's taste in neckties, then I was by that very first post. Review it. Review what I said about it. DONE!
    Ok, Rinnsey, show me how the different religions in India get along. Please. Educate me. Then show me how W's remarks were anything more than flattery, spin, and B.S. I implore you - prove me wrong. Don't just whine that I am being nasty, for absolutely no reason, to the man you adore.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any of you libs know the difference between freedom and freedumb?
    Freedom...
    never voted for W?
    can speak?
    is smarter?
    thinks for themselves - don't believe the administration's lies?

Am I close?
    ...Just ask me...

Thread Information