Thread: "Reflection Fog" in Varilux Comfort Lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

"Reflection Fog" in Varilux Comfort Lenses

A consumer here, seeking general feedback. I got my first pair of glasses around the first of the year and I'm not entirely happy. But since this is my first pair I don't really know what to expect. That's what I'm hoping you folks can help me with.

The phrase in the subject line--"reflection fog" is (obviously) one that I coined myself, but it's a pretty accurate description of what I am experiencing. The lower third or so of my lenses (the part I need the most, for reading) are foggy, almost as if they were badly smudged. But they aren't smudged--I see this even immediately after I've cleaned them thoroughly, when no contamination is present from a close visual examination.

This "fog" seems to be caused by glare. I'm not sure about that but it seems to be the case. I've searched these and other forums and have not seen any mention of this phenomenon (though perhaps I haven't searched on the right terms). But it's such an annoying thing--it really does obscure the words on the page in even moderate light (not completely but significantly)--that I would be surprised if I'm the only one experiencing it. Surely this wll-known?

The result is that I'm ambivalent about the glasses; sometimes I choose to close one eye and squint rather than wear them. Choose your poison: presbyopia or glare?

I don't know what specific lenses I have, or what my prescription is. I can see "Varilux Comfort" on the glass in certain light, but I don't know WHICH Varilux Comforts they are.

Please note that my query is general--I want to know what others have experienced and what professionals know about this and how it might, in general, be fixed. But for completeness I'll mention that I scheduled a followup appointment with my optometrist, who didn't look at the glasses or do any additional examinations. We just talked, and he tried (successfully at first) to convince me that this is what wearing glasses is like, and that I should just try to get used to it. As time has passed, however, I've become convinced that these things should work better than this.

Thank you.

Jim Austin

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is only 1 Varilux Comfort lens. Varilux is the brand, Comfort is the design. The only time I've seen the complete words on a lens is when they are new from the lab. Perhaps the original markings were not removed completely when the glasses were final inspected. In any event, you need to return to your eyecare professional for assistance. Failing that, try another shop for a 2nd opinion.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Lots of reasons...........

Quote Originally Posted by JimAustin
    As time has passed, however, I've become convinced that these things should work better than this.
    There is a miriad of reasons that could be the source of your unhappiness. The so called "fog" which is no fog but probably un-clear vision, could be due by a mistake in fitting............you looking through the distorted area and many more.Go back to your optician have it all verified and if after that you still have problems, get a regular bifocal which should be covered under the wattanty.

Bad address email on file
    It's called "ghosting". It can occur when the ink used (to put on brand name and the verification marks) etches its way into the front side coating. The ink destroys the outer most layer leaving a hazy area. It can olso happen at the lab if they seriously overheat the lens - bleach, neutralizer, surface blocking with alloy thats too hot, etc. This type is called "dark ghosting". "Light ghosting" appears sometimes when a lens is tinted. the area affected is lighter in appearance than the remaining tinting area.

The most likely cause is from the factory (item first mentioned) and should have been caught by the lab and returned to Varilux for credit right then. You, as a consumer, should never have even seen it. (Actually the optician should have never seen it.) I'd go back and have a new lens made. The lab will issue a credit to you optician, and the Varilux will credit the lab... or at least that's how it's suppose to work.

OptiBoard Novice

Need more info.

I would have to know roughly what your prescription is, and what material the lenses are made of. Did you buy a high index lens? You may not know the answers to these questions, but if you do, tell me. I wouldn't be surprised if they were polycarbonate.
    Lemon Fresh.

I'm working my way through posts trying to get answers to prescription glasses, specifically progressive and I saw this post.

What is wrong with polycarbonates???? Thanks. :o

Sorry, I just noticed that only eyecare 'professionals' are allowed to post here. Please accept my apology. :hammer:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper No Medical opinions.........

Quote Originally Posted by doody
    Sorry, I just noticed that only eyecare 'professionals' are allowed to post here. Please accept my apology.
    Thank you.........you are polite and a gentleman.

Medical opinions are not allowed. If you have anything technical we will discuss it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Followup

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. Thought I'd let you all know how things have turned out (so far). Well, before I was able to return to the optometrist for a followup exam I left my glasses on the floor beside my bed and they were eaten by my 5-month-old puppy. Frames are okay but the lenses (plastic) are beyond saving.

So I made it back to my optometrist and he verifiied my presecription. The fuzziness on the right side of the visual field is simply because I'm "between prescriptions" in my right eye; he showed me how he could knock it up a notch but then it just missed what I needed in the other direction. That was not a serious problem though; I can live with it.

The "reflection fog" I described was the big issue, and the solution here is to get Can AR coating and raise the lenses. The optometrist thought the level was okay, but suggested moving it up just a bit. But when I sat down with the optician he, with my encouragement (since these glasses will be mostly for reading) decided to raise them a full 4 mm.

I will have to pay for the new lenses (the old ones were, after all, eaten by my dog) but at a considerable discount, and I wasn't charged a cent for the extra exam. Haven't got the new lenses yet, but I'm hopeful.

Jim

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I'm working my way through posts trying to get answers to prescription glasses, specifically progressive and I saw this post.

What is wrong with polycarbonates???? Thanks. :o

Polycarbonate is optical speaking the poorest material that we use in the industry (low abbe value). Poly is not as "clear" as other lens materials, some people notice that they just don't see as well when they wear poly lenses.

With any lens material an A/R coating will increase light transmission, so you'll see better. It might have been helpful with these lenses although it's not going to solve much if the problem is a result of a fitting or lab error.
    Last edited by Bill Mahnke; 09-01-2006 at 11:44 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Varilux Comfort ghosting

Quote Originally Posted by Magician View Post
    It's called "ghosting". It can occur when the ink used (to put on brand name and the verification marks) etches its way into the front side coating. The ink destroys the outer most layer leaving a hazy area. It can olso happen at the lab if they seriously overheat the lens - bleach, neutralizer, surface blocking with alloy thats too hot, etc. This type is called "dark ghosting". "Light ghosting" appears sometimes when a lens is tinted. the area affected is lighter in appearance than the remaining tinting area.

The most likely cause is from the factory (item first mentioned) and should have been caught by the lab and returned to Varilux for credit right then. You, as a consumer, should never have even seen it. (Actually the optician should have never seen it.) I'd go back and have a new lens made. The lab will issue a credit to you optician, and the Varilux will credit the lab... or at least that's how it's suppose to work.
    This was an excellent response, the only other possibility to the above is that the lens was not fined properly. In any case, It is a slip-shot job in production and inspection.

Sincerely,
    Brian

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian L. Schnirel View Post
    This was an excellent response, the only other possibility to the above is that the lens was not fined properly. In any case, It is a slip-shot job in production and inspection.

Sincerely,
    Brian
    How is it slip shod when by the consumer's own follow-up it was the RX he was prescribed and raising the seg a bit to accomodate his needs and that the fog was due to glare (I am guessing) since he recommended AR? I don't get it??

So I made it back to my optometrist and he verifiied my presecription. The fuzziness on the right side of the visual field is simply because I'm "between prescriptions" in my right eye; he showed me how he could knock it up a notch but then it just missed what I needed in the other direction. That was not a serious problem though; I can live with it.

The "reflection fog" I described was the big issue, and the solution here is to get Can AR coating and raise the lenses. The optometrist thought the level was okay, but suggested moving it up just a bit. But when I sat down with the optician he, with my encouragement (since these glasses will be mostly for reading) decided to raise them a full 4 mm.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I will have to pay for the new lenses (the old ones were, after all, eaten by my dog) but at a considerable discount, and I wasn't charged a cent for the extra exam. Haven't got the new lenses yet, but I'm hopeful.
    Way to go Jim! The best way to solve these types of "issues" with your eyewear is with clear communication with your eyecare/eyewear professional and HONESTY! Too many times I hear of patients who immediately think they need to look elsewhere for answers to their questions. Best of luck, Chris.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all did notice that Jim solved his problem 6 months ago, right?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    We all did notice that Jim solved his problem 6 months ago, right?
    That's funny Judy, no I had not. I'll pay better attention to the dates next time, Thanks, Chris..

Thread Information