Thread: What You Wanna Be?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What You Wanna Be?

This morning I think I had a revelation. The reason Opticianry has fallen on such hard times and has such an uncertain future is we don't know what we want to be. Some of us thing "education alone is the answer. Some of us feel that some sort of legislation or court order will bring us where we want to be. A few of us even think we are where we want to be. Below you will find some of the choices I am aware of (and if some moderator is bright enough to convert this into a poll, please do). Do you wanna be:

1) An independent (self-employed or employed by other independent) optician. (In this case optician means optical dispenser, not prescriber)

2) An employee at a doctor's or optometrist office who dispenses glasses.

3) An employee at a doctor's or optometrist office who answers the phone and occasionally dispenses glasses.

4) An employee at a doctor's office who dispenses glasses and runs such tests as the doctor considers too menial for his time.

5) An employee at a chain optical store.

6) An employee at a doctor's office but so well educated and licensed that you don't hardly have to do any actual work.

Please let me know how you feel and feel free to add any other definitions you can come up with. And If #1 is what most of you want to be, I can help and I think I just devised a way to accomplish this for most of us.

Chip:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    6) An employee at a doctor's office but so well educated and licensed that you don't hardly have to do any actual work.
    I guess I just don't understand this one. I realize that by your standards, I'm a youngster in this industry, but I am licensed and I've worked my a$$ off for 34 years making sure my customers were ecstatic about their eyewear.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Go Fishing........................

Please let me know how you feel and feel free to add any other definitions you can come up with. And If #1 is what most of you want to be, I can help and I think I just devised a way to accomplish this for most of us.
    Maybe I want to retire.........sell the company.............and maybe do something else of which I dont understand a damn thing.

or

go fishing with Chip Anderson......and shoot the BS out on the lake

:D :cheers: :bbg:

Occupation
    Optometrist

Thanks, Chip, for your respect of Optometry.

Ppppllllffffftttttt!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What if you wanted to be a well-educated, licensed Optician who is an independent owner? Does one preclude the other?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Big Smile

Quote Originally Posted by drk

Ppppllllffffftttttt!!!!!

Question...............

Why dont you have a ring pierced through your tongue ???????????? :bbg: :D :drop:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy: If you went to college or worked for a state agency you knew of PHD's who did nothing had all thier work done by subordinates, spent thier time on tour talking about thier phylosophy and politics while taking credit for whatever thier subordinates did. That's what I ment.

DK: Don't know how optometry came into this, I was just attempting to ask what opticians an opticianry wants to become. Because in some countries, what is called an optometrist in the states is an optician in other lands I was attempting to define those from which I wished to address. You really should see someone about that little bit of yellowishness toward the back of your tounge.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

Big Smile I'd like to be . . .

younger, richer and better looking. If I can't have that then I'm fairly content to continue being an independant for the next 10 years. At that point we'll sell the stores and move to the beach for 6 months out of the year.

I've already started an Ebay business, because I'd get bored doing nothing and we can use the money. With a laptop and a digital camera you can sell most anything from anywhere. That'd suit me just fine.

I hope you're having fun and making money!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    # 1, Teach me OB1

ps younger,richer and better looking is also a good idea
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by drk

Ppppllllffffftttttt!!!!!
    Looks like ringworm!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Chip, nobody says it quite like you do.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This morning I think I had a revelation. The reason Opticianry has fallen on such hard times and has such an uncertain future is we don't know what we want to be. Some of us thing "education alone is the answer. Some of us feel that some sort of legislation or court order will bring us where we want to be. A few of us even think we are where we want to be. Below you will find some of the choices I am aware of (and if some moderator is bright enough to convert this into a poll, please do). Do you wanna be:

1) An independent (self-employed or employed by other independent) optician. (In this case optician means optical dispenser, not prescriber)

2) An employee at a doctor's or optometrist office who dispenses glasses.

3) An employee at a doctor's or optometrist office who answers the phone and occasionally dispenses glasses.

4) An employee at a doctor's office who dispenses glasses and runs such tests as the doctor considers too menial for his time.

5) An employee at a chain optical store.

BABY SITTER:hammer:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    INDEPENDENT !!!

If I was 10 years younger, had the money and time I would definetely go to optometry school, but since I can't turn back time I just want to get smarter and better in what I'm doing and stop making the rich richer and keep a piece of the pie for myself and make my own office politics :cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't change a thing...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    I wouldn't change a thing...
    Johns, hopefully some day I can say the same thing

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier

I was a Certified Ophthalmic Technician for 5 years in my mid 20's. It was way more that I realized that it was at the time. I took time off to have children and never stopped having them and homeschooling them, so it doesn't look like I'll be getting back in to full time Ophthalmics any time soon. SO, the best that I can do at this time is to homeschool and be with my family full time during the week and work as a Certified Optician at a warehouse Club Optical on Saturday's and Sunday's. I think that I have the very best of both worlds. I just wish that I made more money.
    v

TheEyesHaveIt A.B.O.C.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TheEyesHaveIt

SO, the best that I can do at this time is to homeschool and be with my family full time during the week and work as a Certified Optician at a warehouse Club Optical on Saturday's and Sunday's. I think that I have the very best of both worlds. I just wish that I made more money.

We've got the rest of our lives to make money. We only have our kid's for a short while.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    LMAO:p

Occupation
    I am also new to opticianry but from what I hear from the "old-timers" in my state is that our previous ability to refract was taken away by optoms continuing to push legislature to establish their role in the optical world. They also complain that the opticians in our state are apathetic and not willing to come together as a group to defend our licenses and therefor our salaries, which would affect our future if this continues to be the standard. (apparantly there are many an OD out here from what I understand who pay a licensed optician $10.00/hr., and many a licensed optician who will work for this!)

Now, in my short 5 yrs of experience I have worked for an independant and currently for an MD. Both were great experiences for me - both paid acceptably well based on the level of responsibility. I am also friendly with several local optoms who truly respect what an experienced optician can bring to the table, and pay them according to their experience. I have not seen any "viable" threat to my future as yet but aside from more schooling I think the next level for me would be to open my own store.

As for future opticians in this licensed state, I think a school of opticianry would definately help them in their careers, establish more respect for the profession and justify a higher salary across the board. I achieved my license through home-study and working under a license. I feel that the ABO and NCLE's req's fell short of preparing me for my career. Also, when I took the State Boards I broke a sweat at the time but looking back 2 yrs later I realize that it was kind of remedial.

So, Chip - what have you got in mind for the independant-minded optician?

Thread Information