Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rude Patients

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spectacle
    A little defensive, are we? There are rude people all over. I believe that the posters on this thread should be allowed to vent with each other. This board is for people in the optical business who go through similar situations and can relate to each others problems. I know that if I am not happy with the service I have received, I will go elsewhere.:idea:
    True, but I'm not being over defensive. Sure there are rude people all over but after reading this thread and the "Dumb Questions from Patients " one I wanted to put across the other side of the coin.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I understand what you are saying. I also agree that there are some Opticians that make people feel stupid when they ask questions, but I don't think that most people who work in this field mind answering questions asked by their patients. As in every line of work there are those that get under your skin. This is a place for fellow optical people to blow off steam. :angry:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they don't like it, they can always change channels...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Dragon
    Rude patients huh? How about rude opticians? I have experienced many as a patient and none will get any repeat business from me. I've also been given pretty poor advice. Instead of wearing the fanastic contact lenses I have now, I'd probably still be wearing horrible extremely thick heavy glasses if I'd not researched the options available and finally found a decent optician. I like this board and have found out a great deal of information which as a high myope has been very useful. I am very appreciative of this. There also appear to be a lot of pomposity, arrogance and narrow mindedness unfortunately.
    Rudeness often eminates from both parties. Taken - there are some very rude patients, and very rude practitioners, but often, the common denominator in al these things is a missunderstanding, or miss interprertation of what has been said. The practitioner thinks he said something and it was understood, equally the patient feels the same. it is when this "understanding crumples that the rudeness comes out

beyond that, some people seem to be just plain obnoxious and rude, and one cant win with these types (patient or practitioner)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The difference between a rude patient and a rude optician is that the optician is obligated to be nice to you and continue helping you even if you are acting rudely. If I am a patient and my practitioner is being rude to me, I am well within my rights to insist that they treat me better, or I will no longer associate with them. But if I am the optician and my patient is treating me poorly, I would lose my job if I told them to fix their attitude.
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

We are inexpensive. . .

but we don't take crap. So here, you wouldn't lose your job. As geezers we are protective of the women who work with us. I'm sure today we are considered sexist, but the women don't seem to mind and put up with us just fine.

Last week our receptionist was working the floor and a patient started going off on her about the cost of a frame. He was in mid rant when the Optician supervising her slid her chair about 4 foot down the counter, stepped in and told the guy it was alright for him to be upset, but he wasn't allowed to be mean. I came out of the office in case he needed help, but it kind of shocked the guy and took the wind out of his sails.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender
    but we don't take crap. So here, you wouldn't lose your job. As geezers we are protective of the women who work with us. I'm sure today we are considered sexist, but the women don't seem to mind and put up with us just fine.

Last week our receptionist was working the floor and a patient started going off on her about the cost of a frame. He was in mid rant when the Optician supervising her slid her chair about 4 foot down the counter, stepped in and told the guy it was alright for him to be upset, but he wasn't allowed to be mean. I came out of the office in case he needed help, but it kind of shocked the guy and took the wind out of his sails.
    Wow, I wish it was like that here... can I come work for you?

:D
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

Big Smile There's no room at the inn right now. . .

but if you ski you'd love it here.;)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender
    He was in mid rant when the Optician supervising her slid her chair about 4 foot down the counter, stepped in and told the guy it was alright for him to be upset, but he wasn't allowed to be mean.
    Genius. I'm totally stealing that line.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For rude people, put up with it. Just go up on the price, or the discount you would have offered, don't. Go up more and more for different degrees of obnoxiousness. If you have to do it for a living, make money!

Once you get mad and punch them out, the profit goes out of the deal.

Chip

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have on many occasion taken the full force of a rude patient and I rarely gotten upset. When my employees ask why I put up with it my answer is always the same: "The money they came in here with is now in my pocket."

As long as I get the money, I don't care who get's the last word.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I know this is an older thread, however, we just had an extremely rude one ourselves a few days ago.

The woman called to schedule an appointment as a new patient. When she asked to see the doctor before the end of the year, we informed her that he was all booked for 2013 so that just wasn't going to happen. The woman got even more upset with us and then wanted an appointment for early January only to learn those were filling up and since she wanted back-to-back appointments, it made it even more difficult to get her in. The call lasted a good while and it made me think that while patients can be rude virtually any time of the year, they're even more rude during the holiday season.

IMHO, every practice has rude patients, it's just a matter of how many. The better run a practice, the more likely you'll have fewer rude patients.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I go by the old saying "Kill them with kindness". It always works when they're looking for a fight with you because it's the last thing they expect. Takes the wind right out of their sails.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's not rudeness.

It's bullying.

Kids watch parents then mimic them in school.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have several patients who come in here that are honestly, ridiculous. and they ARE bullies, but they have been allowed and rewarded for acting like that for so long that they continue to be this way. if i had my druthers, i would tell every single one of them to take their business elsewhere. I have no tolerance for rudeness like that. but its not my practice, so i just choose not to deal with them honestly. We have a few people here who are very good at dealing with rude people and my poker face is non existent, i can slap a smile on, but my ears and nose are still so red that they can tell something is wrong and my eyes turn a very icy gray when i'm angry haha, its gotta be the irish in me ... I flat out said to one person "sir we are actually doing you a favor so there is no need for you to act like that" and he still proceeded to have a 2 year old tantrum. The only solace i have is that they are making themselves look bad when they're acting that way, not me. I have waited tables and been in customer service for a VERY long time, and that is always how i've looked at it and it does make me feel a little better :) a lot of people just feel like service employees are there to be a punching bag for whatever their life problems are. it's part of the game. just go in the lab, take a breather, and go back out with a smile, it usually drives them crazy... Usually those people are TRYING to get a rise out of you. so if you have the ability, just be as calm and smiley as possible and you will just make their day worse and yours will stay the same :)

Being 7 months preggo doesn't help with the tolerance factor either ;)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Doc's wife also works in the practice. Lately, the stress has been getting to her, patient wise, and she's going to eventually transition from full-time to part-time and even do more working from home. She often says she'd love the business if it wasn't for the people.

After having worked for 8 or so years as a receptionist in the healthcare field, I wholeheartedly agree with her.

Being in this business means you're going to have rude and difficult patients. There's no getting around that. Every office has them. It's just a matter of learning how to deal with them effectively.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eh. I think it depends on the type of rudeness and the manner in which it's delivered. Right now I'm working with very waspy wealthy rude people, who condescendingly demand stuff. However there is typically very little swearing or aggression. I've also worked in area's with more, um, inner-city, where they will get in your face. That's too scary for me. You can look down your nose at me all you want. But don't get up in my face. Because I'll cry all over you.

Occupation
    Desiderata
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have aright to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Speaking of angry customers, Have you aver seen the show "Hardcore Pawn"? I don't like it because they have 7feet tall security so the owners and employees say what they want, but the customers are absolutely outrageous! I couldn't even stand the 1/2 hour show much less work anywhere like that!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I'm about to say probably won't be popular, but here goes anyway. Please believe I am not trying to pick on you, or attacking your behavior. Some patients/customers are true jerks. I'm just pointing out something that may have been overlooked.

She flat out told you she didn't want anything from you. Her rudeness may have been a reaction to the fact that you didn't take her at her word and respect her decision. Hand them the rx and let them go; or expect to be treated as a rude and pushy salesperson if you ignore their direct statement that they want to leave. Your doc may say different, but to be respected you have to be respectful of other people's direct statements and needs.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I had my retail store in NJ, I thrived on difficult customers, but had the most fun with the rude ones. I would tell them that I wish I had 3 clients just like them.They smiled, and as they walked out I said that I had a dozen.
    Money carefully refunded

Occupation
    That sale was lost a long time before she was handed off, you aggravated the situation by continuing to try and save the sale.

Sale starts when they walk in the door, not when you're ready to sell.

Learn some wit, it does wonders for rudeness.
    Last edited by braheem24; 01-11-2014 at 01:54 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    revival of an old thread, but I'm so annoyed!!!!!!!

A woman just came up to me and talked for like 10 minutes about how "she can't believe the price of the frames. they are so expensive. Don't I know how much progressive lenses are? Glasses are going to be over $400??"

seriously, I don't set the prices, if you don't like it, go somewhere else.

she's also been in about 5 times, and we have the same conversation every time. Hence my extreme frustration!!
    Last edited by becc971; 06-30-2015 at 07:46 AM.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so none of you treat them like a human pinata? just me?!

Occupation
    Since the advent of political correctness after 2006 we no longer have any rudeness, sarcasm or defamatory remarks being made to one another. So these recent encounters must be a phenomenon of your mind. Roll up a dooby and relax.

Thread Information