Thread: BC Opticians be aware!

OptiBoard Novice

BC Opticians be aware!

BC opticians be aware
    DOABC (Dispensing Opticians association BC) is a longstanding association in BC. It has recently taken a turn for the worse. Recently, I found out that although I have been purchasing liability insurance from the DOABC, I was not insured; I found this out because I called the insurance company for other reasons. I have also learned others opticians that have experienced the same serious problem. There are many other people who may be in this situation and should call the insurance agent directly. The DOABC will blame the insurance agent for missing paperwork but I don’t believe it since I learned it has happened many times in the past too! The DOABC has been misleading its members and it looks like I cannot even get straight answers from them. There is something seriously wrong with them. I don’t think we should be supporting this association. If anybody else experienced this problem please post your findings and solutions. I would like to learn what I can do.

SS

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    anyone else aware of this situation or have had the same experience?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I'm not an optician so I don't have any direct experience with the DOABC. I have heard through colleagues and friends that the DOABC is not well organised. For example, a friend who tried to order a couple of the DOABC's videos for CE credit had to wait nearly 3.5 months for their arrival even though his credit card was billed immediately.

OptiBoard Novice
    There disorganisation may cause problems to opticians that are members. can u imagine thinking your registered and you have paid for all the insurance and membership benefits to only find out that they never registered you?!?!?!

-02-2006 08:22 PMmlmI'm not an optician so I don't have any direct experience with the DOABC. I have heard through colleagues and friends that the DOABC is not well organised. For example, a friend who tried to order a couple of the DOABC's videos for CE credit had to wait nearly 3.5 months for their arrival even though his credit card was billed immediately.

So does that mean somebody is collecting money and not rendering the services? I am disturbed by all this.

Is there any othere organisations in B.C.? NE body?:bbg:
    ss

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The DOABC Annual General Meeting is scheduled for this coming Saturday, March 4th, 2006 in Vancouver, BC. Why not attend and ask your question(s) there?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hi Ted, meeting is mar 11, David

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've never really heard great things about them. But never outright where they've not registered a person for insurance.

I remember when I first needed insurance. I went to their head office in Surrey. Apparently the guy there couldn't do anything because their paper work was in another office in North Van or something. It was pretty ridiculous.. I was not impressed, that's for sure.

as for registering insurance, I went with Opticians of Canada the next time around.

Thread Information