Thread: Cable temple conversion

Occupation
    Optometrist

Cable temple conversion

I was looking through a catalog recently for a patient who insists on having cable temples. There were two types of conversion, one requiring soldering, the other did not. Any experience with either? I'm tending towards the solder type, but we no longer have soldering equip. If the other type works we may try those.

Thanks for your help.

AA

PS. Do any of the frame manufacturers that you use still offer a mens dbl bridge (58-15ish) with a cable temple?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I believe OKOart in this forum has the ability to custom build one for you.:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The kind I used at LC were more of a heat shrink type. You slide them on and warm them with the frame warmer a bit to make them stay on (they fit pretty tight before heating, I might add). I think we got them from Hilco, but I'm not in the business anymore so I can't say for sure. Never had any problems with them, though.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go to Hilco, order same, read the instructions, it's easy.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan
    I was looking through a catalog recently for a patient who insists on having cable temples. There were two types of conversion, one requiring soldering, the other did not. Any experience with either? I'm tending towards the solder type, but we no longer have soldering equip. If the other type works we may try those.

Thanks for your help.

AA

PS. Do any of the frame manufacturers that you use still offer a mens dbl bridge (58-15ish) with a cable temple?
    Yeah, try a Rayban Aviator!

Or even this:http://www.sportglasses.com/

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All you do is straighten the temples, clip about 1/4 inch or as much as needed of the temples off, file down the ends until smooth, and then slide the cables on to make sure they fit the patient, after making sure that they fit apply a little super glue to the ends of the temples, the slide cables on and let sit for 10 min.

Cables

We've had good luck with the Hilco cables as well. Since I am in ped's about 90% of what we do is cables. A little crazy glue inside the cable goes a LONG way. Just be sure to wait about 15 minutes before they wear it.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    High ABBE didn't read the instructions, you don't use superglue or any other adhesive, you heat the cable tip and insert the core. Wait (I've forgotten but I think it's 5 minites and they are ready to go.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The ones from Amcon actually do suggest using a bit of super glue to help with adhesion.

I have used both from Amcon, and Hilco.. Non solder kind. Done 3 in the past month with no problems. Patients report they love them.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually I have been doing these for about 15 years. It's amazing how many little old men tell me they have been wearing glasses for 50 years and this is the first pair that didn't slip.I am also amazed how many of my "collegues" have no clue about them or have no clue about how to install them.

Chip:D

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can listen to Chip and not use superglue if you want, but they will come off, and your patient will be back, and then you will use super glue. I'm speaking from personal experiance.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks much for the input. I ordered a kit from one of the above mentioned vendors and will try it out. 10-15 years ago there were a few frames we could order w/ cable temples on them to begin with. Now I don't have as much need for them, but for the few who request them, hopefully this will do the trick.

AA

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aarlan: The advantage of making your own cables is: "YOU can custom length them, YOU can change the tips when the cables fray. They are a lot easier to adjust and custom shape for the ear.The disadvantage: YOU have to actually make decisions about lenght, and YOU have to do some work. Of course if you ever had to fit one of those cable covers on the old wire wraped cables, you would think this is easy.

Chip:cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    . Of course if you ever had to fit one of those cable covers on the old wire wraped cables...

Chip:cheers:
    Yes I have. Definitely requires patience.

AA

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by High_Abbe
    You can listen to Chip and not use superglue if you want, but they will come off, and your patient will be back, and then you will use super glue. I'm speaking from personal experiance.
    I second that!:D

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If A: You use the right diameter cable with the right diameter temple wire. B: You heat the cable for 30 seconds at a relatively high temperature and push it on to the temple properly, 90% of the time no glue or flattening in of the temple wire (yes you can do this) is required. Less of a mess when the cable tip wears out to replace without glue.
    Also if you ain't gittin the cable so hot you can't hold it without a cloth insulateor or gloves, you ain't gittin it hot enough.

Another helpful hint which I am sure you haven't found necessary: Turn the cable tips in 15 degrees when mounting (Keeps them flush against the head).

Chip

I'm sure the cables would stay without the glue Chip.
    It's just that in ped's they are usually being pulled on and off a LOT more.

So for those 3 month olds that are getting their first pair of aphakic spec's, they might just take them off a bit more than a 60 year old man who just happens to LOVE cables.

It might just be my obsessiveness :hammer: , but I prefer a dab of glue JUST to be sure.

and yes, the temples are as hot as marshmallow roasted poker sticks. :)

Now don't flame me Chip - I read your posts! :cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I posted a while ago about some kids cables and ended up having to order some ugly gree ones from hilco to fit a small ninewest frame. The cable temples were too big( not way too big, but would still come off easily). in diameter and so was every other kind I have tried so I did what they said on here about the glue and it worked. I hate to admit it, but hey it worked.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hilco got 3 sizes, at least 2 diameters and kid's kit with quite a few assorted colors.

Thread Information