Thread: ar coatings

OptiBoard Novice

ar coatings

Can Solateflon or Crizal Alize be added to week old glasses? What are there warranties?

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Possible but doubtful

Technically this is possible but I doubt that anyone processing a pair of edged lenses will be willing to do this. Ask the despenser if they can have the lenses remade with the Anti Reflective and super hydrophobic.

The lenses would need to be treated by stripping the hard coating off and apply a thermal hard coat to the lens and then produce the AR and super hydrophobic.

Did the despenser suggest this originally? If they did not then you may have more success since you obviously want this.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Question..............................

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Can Solateflon or Crizal Alize be added to week old glasses? What are there warranties?
    Are you ralking about putting on the full AR coating process or just the top slick coating layer which defines the Alize or Teflon ?

OptiBoard Novice
    The full coating. My Otometrist talked me out of Solateflon because his lab had nothing but problems with it. We changed the lighting at work to florescant a week after I got my glasses and now I wish I would have gotten an AR coating. He said Crizal was good but I wanted Solaone's and thought that meant Solaone-Solateflon or varilux-Crizal Alize clear gaurd is sent out by the factory to be done correctly.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Sorry to hear you are getting such information

From your post I would say you are not getting the facts. I have nothing to do with either Sola or Essilor which makes the Crizal AR, however if there processes as well as others are applied properly, with the proper hard coat you would get excellent results. To confirm that your point of contact was correct you could ask for the name of the lab they use and then you could call Sola and ask if that lab offers the Sola Teflon AR. If the lab does not have access to the product you will have begun to understand the reason you were not steered toward the Sola One Teflon but rather away from it.

Are these single vision or progressives? If ther Rx is single vision and the optical used a stock lens, then they may not have had access, (for the price they offered you), to the AR with Teflon.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The full coating. My Otometrist talked me out of Solateflon because his lab had nothing but problems with it. We changed the lighting at work to florescant a week after I got my glasses and now I wish I would have gotten an AR coating. He said Crizal was good but I wanted Solaone's and thought that meant Solaone-Solateflon or varilux-Crizal Alize clear gaurd is sent out by the factory to be done correctly.
    There are ARs that can be applied to your lenses now. I know Zeiss SET can be applied and it is a decent one, though not as good as Crizal. Zeiss also makes Carat Advantage AR and I think that can be applied later but I am not sure. It is very good. Your optician should know or be able to find out.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I heard that there is some store that offers some sort of satisfaction gaurantee. Perhaps you should have bought them there?

/ducks

:D

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

No problem............

There are plenty AR coating labs that will put the coating on cut lenses. Your optician does for sure know some of them.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Two issues arise. 1). Any minute scratches you may have picked up in use will be magnified when an AR coating is applied.

2). The issue is with the scratch resistant (SR) coating applied UNDER the AR coating with both SOLA Teflon or Essilor Aleze. The coating house would have to strip the AR and the SR; a process that they may not do.

There are alternatives. Zeiss uses a "primer coating" that can be aplied over a SR coating. Kodak CleAR has developed an AR coating that is compatible with many of the SR coatings. I've heard very good reports on both plus there are many other coatings as well.

Ask your dispenser to check with their lab for alternatives.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    But Jim, many of the advanced AR coating processes that put a dip hard coat on the lens only accept uncuts--you can't put an edged lens through the process. So that means that the AR coats mentioned most likely cannot be done on previously dispensed lenses.
    RT

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    They should be able to remake the lenses with AR under warranty. If they won't or can't then they are deffinately not working with us.. :)

Prof/change/add AR

Adam
    Last edited by Cherry Optical; 03-02-2006 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Content

Thread Information