Thread: Does the B measurement need to be at least 25 for Ellipse to work?

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question Does the B measurement need to be at least 25 for Ellipse to work?

I finally found a frame I liked and wouldn't you know that the B measurement is only 24.4. That's on a 48-17-135 frame that fits my face well. I love these frames! Well-constructed, too. I tried the 50 on and it's a bit too wide, even though the B measurement is 26.4. Figures.

So does this mean I cannot be fit with a Ellipse lens because it's under 25?? I might not be able to wear it with even short corridor progressives?? :(

There was one made by the same company that I liked even better, but I can't seem to find it anywhere except a local shop that wants close to $300 for it. No thanks. Not when my lenses are going to be more than that.

Anyway, is 24.4 too small to put an Ellipse into? I'm not sure what the Seg. Hgt. is on that when it's on my face. Would that be the deciding factor? There was a 25 B measurement frame that an optician measured along with my Seg. Hgt. and she said an Ellipse would work in that one.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Blue Jumper

Varilux Ellipse minimum fit height is 14 mm. I personally have found best results if I allow for at least 12mm above center of pupil. so 14+12=26. I would not go any lower than 26 mm B measurement when using the ellipse.

The frame you chose was 24.4. I think you will be unhappy unless you use a 26 b measurement. If you are in love with the frame you could do a ST-28 bifocal.

Occupation

Arrow

Thank you for your response, Tneyedoc. Darn. I was able to locate another frame from the same line I liked even more. It measures 25 mm. That's only 1 mm less than what you recommend for a minimum. Maaaaybe I can make it work! (It's Coach by Marchon). These frames just caught my eye today and I really liked how they looked and felt on my face. I'm going in and trying that model on in the morning and see what my optician has to say. Over the phone he was very honest with me about what I would be giving up if I went with a narrower frame. But, he also said that when someone is highly motivated the chances are a lot better when it comes to adapting to a short corridor lens. So, we shall see. I just cannot see going with another larger frame after 7 years of wearing these goggles.

Tell me, what is an ST-28 bi-focal? Different from the regular type?

Quote Originally Posted by Tneyedoc
    Varilux Ellipse minimum fit height is 14 mm. I personally have found best results if I allow for at least 12mm above center of pupil. so 14+12=26. I would not go any lower than 26 mm B measurement when using the ellipse.

The frame you chose was 24.4. I think you will be unhappy unless you use a 26 b measurement. If you are in love with the frame you could do a ST-28 bifocal.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAsGold
    I finally found a frame I liked and wouldn't you know that the B measurement is only 24.4. That's on a 48-17-135 frame that fits my face well. I love these frames! Well-constructed, too. I tried the 50 on and it's a bit too wide, even though the B measurement is 26.4. Figures.

So does this mean I cannot be fit with a Ellipse lens because it's under 25?? I might not be able to wear it with even short corridor progressives?? :(

There was one made by the same company that I liked even better, but I can't seem to find it anywhere except a local shop that wants close to $300 for it. No thanks. Not when my lenses are going to be more than that.

Anyway, is 24.4 too small to put an Ellipse into? I'm not sure what the Seg. Hgt. is on that when it's on my face. Would that be the deciding factor? There was a 25 B measurement frame that an optician measured along with my Seg. Hgt. and she said an Ellipse would work in that one.
    Good As Gold,
    As a moderator of the OB I would appreciate if you would review the posting rules and particularly the section about multiple postings and the consumer blurb. You have asked this question in 3 separate threads now and it is clearly a request that you should ask of YOUR eyecare professional.

From the posting guidelines for OB:

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.
    Last edited by Cindy Hamlin; 02-24-2006 at 02:53 AM.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

B measurement is irrelevant

The B measurement is irellevant, what is relevant is the measurement from YOUR measured fitting cross height UP and DOWN in the specific frame you are looking at

Your nose and the way EACH INDIVIDUAL FRAME fits YOU specifically will determine if it is suitable for YOU

one frame might be OK for you, but not OK for me. this is the point where an experienced and qualified dispenser needs to step in and advise you

Occupation

Arrow

And, I intend to have the optician do all the necessary measurements tomorrow. As he told me over the phone when I called to ask about this particular frame, "What I need is your face". :) And, that's exactly what he'll get in the morning. The reason I asked about it here is because I had read a couple previous posts that mentioned they wouldn't fit an Ellipse in a frame with a B measurement less than 25mm. And then there was one who said 22mm. I was just curious if there was a set number that folks usually go by regardless of the Seg. Hgt.

I'll find out more tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    The B measurement is irellevant, what is relevant is the measurement from YOUR measured fitting cross height UP and DOWN in the specific frame you are looking at

Your nose and the way EACH INDIVIDUAL FRAME fits YOU specifically will determine if it is suitable for YOU

one frame might be OK for you, but not OK for me. this is the point where an experienced and qualified dispenser needs to step in and advise you

Occupation

Confused

I wasn't asking you to diagnose anything, Cindy. I was merely curious about the B measurement of a frame in relation to being fitted with an Ellipse short corrider lens. I fully intend to have my LOCAL optician do all the proper measurements and advise me accordingly as to whether the particular frame I like will be a good match for the lens. In the meantime, I was curious when I read somewhere that an Ellipse can't be fitted in a frame with a B measurement under 25. Just wanted some opinions is all. Didn't want a "diagnosis". Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Hamlin
    Good As Gold,
    As a moderator of the OB I would appreciate if you would review the posting rules and particularly the section about multiple postings and the consumer blurb. You have asked this question in 3 separate threads now and it is clearly a request that you should ask of YOUR eyecare professional.

From the posting guidelines for OB:
    Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs down again and again...................

Good as Gold will still be with Optiboard .............asking questions.......to which she knows the answers before they are given.............when she will be on long term care,

As long as she finds somebody to answer she will go on and on, so far she is up to 93 post's and has not bought her glasses...............

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAsGold
    I was just curious if there was a set number that folks usually go by regardless of the Seg. Hgt.
    Thats certainly not the way I work

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why doesnt Good as Gold trust her optician, if you did you would go in and ask them these questions. If you for what ever reason dont trust them, go to another until you find the right one. If I were your optician I would be a bit put off by someone whom walked in saying I know all this 93 posts worth now fit me like this. The reason for that is like QD01 says there are many things that go into fitting glasses other then the B measurement. Those may fit perfectly for pt a but pt b's nose is different and eyes are set different and pt b cant get that frame so really your face is necessary in fitting glasses. We dont have that luxery online. Go to your optician, value there expertise and go home happy.
    Last edited by cinders831; 02-24-2006 at 06:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Leg puller.............

Quote Originally Posted by cinders831
    Why doesnt Good as Gold trust her optician,
    Because she is pulling you leg...................................................

could even be an optician pulling your leg.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It's time that GoodAsGold visits his or her Optician or find a new one. :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information