Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    After numerous attempts at failed adjustments. I converted a patients spectacles to cable temples. He called back (twice) and wanted to know if I kept the scap metal when I trimmed the temples. If so he wanted it.
    I asked what did he want with it? He said he just wanted to keep it in a little bag.

Chip?
    He probably didn't want you to to make big bucks by selling his scrap metal.:drop:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file Don Lee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I just love it when I run a credit card through the machine and the big letters DECLINED come up on the screen. I tell the customer that the card was declined. They say huh? Why?
    A customer came in to pick up his with a credit card. Dad thought he should call (before online transactions) to see if the card was good. The guy with the credit card company said the card was stolen and over charged and told Dad he must keep the card and not return it.

Dad looked at the guy. He was huge and mean looking. He said, "You come take the card from him". The customer took the card and paid cash.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have been wearing glasses for 20 years (when they are trying to do our job)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A/R:
    I don't guess you can come back and say you have been in this business since 1958 and you are beginning to understand how it works yourself.

Chip:cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation

[ Do I need a higher A measurement on one side?

Chip[/quote]

That is one of those patients ( we all have at least one ) that KNOWS TOO MUCH, or rather thinks they know what you should be doin! When they start analyzing your measurements, and watch everything you write on their order card you know you are in for it!
    :D Eyegrrl

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    *Walks into the office full of inventory. Looks us straight in the eye and asks "do you guys sell glasses?"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been wearing glasses for 20 years (when they are trying to do our job)
    I have on one occasion brought ou my pliers and put them in front of the lady, and said"you do it, you must know how because you keep telling me how!" She shut up.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I really love is when I am painting or making, or delivering a prosthetic eye a relative (usually a spouse or sister) starts giving me advise. I am doing the best I can and comments like doesn't it need one more vein, or a little more blue, etc. Ain't appreciated. Have even on occasion told such people that any comment from any relative is more than I want to hear.

ChIp

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

How did these get scratched

This happened when I worked for a company that sold warranties.

A lady comes in with her husband and daughter and was rather upset that her daughters glasses were scratched and how could it happen since they were scratch proof. I explained that while polycarb lenses were scratch resistant that no lenses are scratch proof and that children in paticular have a tendency to scratch their lenses since they are so active. She demanded I tell her how the lenses had gotten scratched. I explained sveral ways it could happen but told her there was no way for me to know. The lady then got very upset telling me how her daughter was always very careful with her glasses and she could not have done anything to cause the scratches and demanded that the lenses be replaced for free even though she had not purchased a waranty. I look down and as she is explaining to me that her daughter always took meticulous care of her glasses she is wiping them off with her shirt.

I looked at her and said "Well that will scratch the lenses so now I guess we know how it happened." Her husband who had been standing behind her looking embarassed the whole time busted out laughing. If looks could kill he would have been dead on the spot! I can just imagine the conversation they had when they left.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Ok I know this thread is supposed to be about patients but since we're talking about stupid things in general...

Went into an office and the optician hands me a box of "defects" to return. Among them was a frame that was completely flattened, temples extended. A frame with teeth marks on both temples. A frame missing a temple completely - but easily explained as there was obvious evidence of the piece being ripped or bent off....Warped zyles on the eyewire but lenses no where to be found. Etc, etc....

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Went into an office and the optician hands me a box of "defects" to return."

we are all guilty of that!! we try to get around the frame warranties with our reps all the time!! within reason, i expect my reps to take back any frames that i have warrantied for my patients... i draw the line at teethmarks, tire tread marks, and anything that has obviously been caused by abuse!!

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I live in the high desert of CA where temps reach 110 in the summer and I have had a rash of car related eyeglass fatalaties latley. People dont seem to get that if you leave ANYTHING in a car that gets in the upwards of 120 degrees inside it is going to get damaged! One guy had had his glasses one week and brought them back in pretty tweaked and the lenses were horribly cracked and warped and I asked him if he left them in his car. Of course the answer was yes. I told him that was why his glasses were ruined. He still wanted a warranty replacement because "No one ever told me THAT."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Isnt it amazing that we should "take care of" someone else's stupidity!!!!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by eyegrrl View Post
    "Went into an office and the optician hands me a box of "defects" to return."

we are all guilty of that!! we try to get around the frame warranties with our reps all the time!! within reason, i expect my reps to take back any frames that i have warrantied for my patients... i draw the line at teethmarks, tire tread marks, and anything that has obviously been caused by abuse!!

I totally agree, and there wasn't anything that could have been passed off in this box! Seriously! It was so bad I just waited until I got into my car and had a good laugh. I just wonder what those poor opticians must have had to deal with on the patient's side of things...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [Walks into the office full of inventory. Looks us straight in the eye and asks "do you guys sell glasses?
    A lady came into our shop and walked over to a lone display of a few frames and asked, "is this all you have?" (while I was standing in front of about 500 frames)

I wonder what people are really trying to say when they say things like that.
    Do you sell glasses?
    Is this all you have?
    Do you ever make adjustments?
    Are you open?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahMP584 View Post
    I live in the high desert of CA where temps reach 110 in the summer and I have had a rash of car related eyeglass fatalaties latley... ANYTHING in a car that gets in the upwards of 120 degrees inside it is going to get damaged!
    One slow day in August (Oklahoma City) it was about 95 degrees. We decided to put a candy thermometer in the seat of an employee's car. It read 157 degrees! We didn't try the dash board.

The way that heat reflects in the CA desert the temp in a car may be closer to 180!!!!!!

That's hot

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    Not a question but a comment. Had a lady in last week who told me quite confidently that the surgeon had implanted lasers in her eyes.

Zzzzzzz-ap!
    WOW!! Watch out! She can probably see through your clothes now. Wear your lead underwear when she's coming into the office!
    "Make the most of yourself.....for that is all there is of you" - Emerson

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Had a guy who bought his glasses at Wal-Mart and snapped a temple three years later. He first thought that it was only worth $5. He then asked if most optical places offer life-time warranties.

Occupation
    We only charge a dollar for our screws. People complain anyway. They say "If I would have went to ---, they would have done it for free." ah, yes, but the reason you are here, is because you don't want to drive the 20 miles, to have a screw put in for free.

I also had a patient that said his post op cataract surg. was so good, he had x-ray vision now. He would just look at you and grin. (kind of a dirty old man grin.)

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I also had a patient that said his post op cataract surg. was so good, he had x-ray vision now. He would just look at you and grin. (kind of a dirty old man grin.)[/quote]

EEEWWWWWW........
    "Make the most of yourself.....for that is all there is of you" - Emerson

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have had more than one eye doctor say: "Don't you trust me?"

Occupation
    My glasses move when I do this :hammer:

Do you have my subscription?

Does that Include lenses?

Does that include the second pair?

Why do all your glasses look the same?

...and my personal favorite

Can I make payments?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can I make payments?
    Of course you can, ONE!!!!!
    Ha!!!

Occupation
    My answer is usually

"to your credit card company" :p

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This is more along the lines of "weird things that people do" but we have this one lady that keeps coming in with a very week RX. .50's and only wants glasses for distance. She keeps telling us that the glasses we make for her keep making her nauseous. This isn't a remake situation. She keeps buying RX and non RX glasses. This is gonna be pair 5.

Thread Information