Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I don't want to break the law! Is it "legal" to print on the frame "Made in Japan" or "Made in Italy" from China??:hammer:

uh.............sure! You are just as "legal" as everyone else!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

??????

your ad says free no line bifocals, does this mean i don,t have to pay for them.

drs last appointment is at 5:00, is that in the morning?

I,m calling to see if my glasses are ready. total silence

i,m picking these glasses up for mr jones, oh they need adjusting!, well my head is the same size, can you adjust them on me.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry:
    I have twin girls as patient's one was badly damaged about the head a few years ago. She had no glasses prior to the wreck and was not about to be in shape for her contact lenses for some time. I measured the twin, fitted glasses, ordered and delivered them to the injured twin (and adjusted) in the hospital. Worked fine. This just came to mind as she was just in for the first new glasses in six years (had since resumed CL wear) and the old ones made as described served well until now.
    I have also found that PD's of small children (especially those from which attention cannot be obtained despite heroic efforts) tend to be so close on children of the same size that an experienced optician can gestimate almost as accurately as one can measure. Deviations always so small as to be insignificant. There may be something to "same size adjustments", sometimes.
    Chip

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake
    your ad says free no line bifocals, does this mean i don,t have to pay for them.

drs last appointment is at 5:00, is that in the morning?

I,m calling to see if my glasses are ready. total silence

i,m picking these glasses up for mr jones, oh they need adjusting!, well my head is the same size, can you adjust them on me.
    On the same note

- Okay, your appointment is at 3 on Thursday
    - *Looks at calender* Is that AM or PM?

I also get those who phone to see if their glasses are ready and do not give a name. But my favourite one is when they have call display and you pick up the phone and they yell "who is this? Why did you call me," and then when you ask what their name is they do not want to give it to you.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Try these on

A woman asked if I would try on a Coach frame " I just want to see how they look"........... I am 6' tall and 225 pounds . Unfortunatly they looked better on me.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Account customer asked...
    "When I order lenses with prism you charge me for surfaced, is this correct?"

Us...
    "Yes"

Customer...
    "Any particular reason?"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i hear you! I ALWAYS get the same thing, it doesn't matter what you know if there is someone older than you, the patients always want them! i didn't get any respect at the office til the senior optician left, and the patients only wanted to see me because i was a familiar face!
    :D Eyegrrl

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, at least they're not looking for the "man in the back" anymore. :shiner:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hear hear!!!! (:
    :D Eyegrrl

Bad address email on file KAYDEE's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    • While performing the duochrome test, “please sir/madam could tell me which number looks darker, sharper and clearer, the numbers on the red or the green block?” Patient, “THE BLUE”
    • Q: “Hi can I have copy of my subscriptions?” A: “To which magazine?” I answered.

Bad address email on file KAYDEE's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    continued from #2 above

at which time my new dispensing optician ,trying to impress on me, adds "You mean your spectacle perscription, sir!"

I went hom early that day!

#3 my colleague, on demonstrating to a fine gentleman and his rather attractive young daughter how to insert a SILHOUETTE frame into a SILHOUETTE case (the hard plastic case with the small clip inside that secures the temples) , says the following, "Sir all you need to do is fold the temples over each other and slide them under the clit!" at which stage I looked the man and his daughter in the face, bit my lip and left him to dig his way out of that mess.:o

My apologies to anyone whom may take offense!!:shiner:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    On the same note

- Okay, your appointment is at 3 on Thursday
    When you say "Ok, your appointment is on Thursday, May 11th, at 3:00 pm"

Don't they always ask "what day is that?"
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    "Do you have to use that RX, I don't want any correction at the top" and it is a brought in rx. Can't change the doctor prescription and they get mad at YOU?

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "How much for transgressions lenses?"

"These polarized lenses, if they are dark, what are you supposed to do at night?" :hammer:

Me: "the doctor will be here from 4 to 8." Patient: "In the evening?"

(I am wearing a lab coat, sitting at my lensometer) "Do you work here?"

and the number one dumb question that I get at least 4 times a week:
    "Do you have to see da Dr to by color contacs?" "yes you have to have a prescription." "But I dont want no medicine in em'.
    Thats Ok, I will just buy em downtown at da swap meet."

;)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Eastern Shore Story

This happened to my predecessor:
    One day at our Bellehaven office a local gentleman walked in with a dry cleaning bill. He told Dennis (our optical guy) that the previous evening, during a fancy spaghetti dinner, all the medicine ran out of his glasses and stained his dress shirt. Of course, he needed to have the shirt professionally cleaned, and his question to Dennis "When you gonna "reburse" me and put the medicine back in my glasses?"
    :hammer:
    Dennis paid the $5 (and put the medicine back in) just to get him the h*ll out of the office. No point in trying to be rational with some people.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Lady comes in with a pair of glasses we sold her two years ago. They are titanium frames, and like most titanium frames they arms are very flexible, but have no spring hinge. Because of that, the one arm, when not wearing it, tends to close and open very easily. I find this a natural tendency with these frames. However, as we know, it does not affect the fit and the arm is not coming off, so really is not a problem at all.

So she is complaining about that and says that she never really liked the glasses and wants a new frame. Okay, that is fair, but two years later we really do not want to do much about it. Plus, she wants to get new glasses anyways. So what we can do is apply our knowledge from this, and pass it on.

The funny thing is that she asks about Transitions, so we quote her on a pair of transitions in her lenses. Then she asks "oh, can I use my same frame for it?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While we're at it here we might want to start a new thread entitled "The rudest client ever..." but this one does kind of fit in with the stupidest questions theme of the current thread.

A gruff, impersonable gent who had purchased from us in the past, enters the dispensary one day, and before even saying hello to me or myself having the opportunity to greet him, he tosses a business card from one of our local 'deep-discount', 'ever-advertising-a-sale' retailers on the dispensing table and asks, matter-of-factly and with a smug look on his mug, "Bet you can't match THIS price." We're just TOO expensive, it seems,so this time he went and shopped around. Does like our service and expertise, though. My heart sinks, I'm thinking "well here we go again, lets see if they're even in the ballpark." I quickly review the price itemization, confirm on a piece of paper with the calculator and price list what our price is and answer,
    " Yes, sir, I most certainly would be happy to match the price you have here!" He looks rather astonished that I would so very quickly offer to match a price that he obviously felt was a bargain, and we set about writing up the order. During this time, he's going on and on about how terrible it is for glasses to cost as much as they do, what a terrible mark-up there is, and how unfair it is to consumers that they have to do what he did and ask around if other opticals would price match (after all, it costs money and time, did I know this, for consumers to be forced to shop around.) And how unfair it is to the poor schmuck who doesn't know that glasses can be bargained on, and stupidly pays the full regular price. During this non-stop tangent of his, I'm not saying a word other than requesting information for the job. I'm also not responding to the questions he's asking me about mark-up, etc. He rises, ready to leave, and walks towards the door. At this point, I simply cannot contain myself any longer, and blurt out what I wanted to ever since I first saw the price written by the competition on the card, " Sir, I'm more than happy to match the price you got from XYZ. But, I really feel guilty about it because, well, their sale price is actually $75.00 MORE than our regular price is!"

Now you all know what comes next, right?

"Well, can you not match the price and charge me what you would have normally?"

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cindy, you made me smile on a Friday morning at work.

What a rare and wonderful thing!

:D :D :D :D
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

And I might as well share...

....the fun time I had a few days ago-

An (older) patient was in for a checkup and complained to the doctor that his bifocals were too low and he didn't like raising his chin to read. Doctor brings him out and mildly berades me that we made the segs too low and to adjust it, and "if you can't handle that then have them remade".

*sigh*

I look at the gentleman's glasses, I can't adjust the zyl frame he's wearing to raise the bifocal as high as he wants it, so I go get the chart to order a remake.

The lenses were made over 2 years ago.

*sigh*

Someone just hit me over the head and put me out of my misery, will you?

It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Angry Damn that makes me mad. . .!!!

With an attitude like that I would take every opportunity I could to cost the Dr money!! First, its really bad form to say anything in front of the patient. How would they liked to be called on their Dr's changes?!? Second, they never seem to understand that you can run up their cost of goods without them even realizing it!!

The problem is that often times we're too honest for our own good, but early in my career I worked with a lead Optician that showed me how to run up the cost of goods to where they could go through the statement invoice by invoice and they still wouldn't know what happened. He ended up bankrupting that Dr!

I've never used it, but I've come close!!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good for you, Cindy!

I never had the courage to reproach this type for their arrogance.
    I just consider the "extra" to be the "A**H*LE fee. After all, I did earn it.
    And these people just keep coming back for more.....
    :cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Shame on you

Our job is to generate income for our Doctors.
    "Get the money, keep the money."
    If you don't like your job, or the people with whom you work, GET ANOTHER JOB!
    Bankrupting, slandering, or in any way, undermining the respect, reputation and/or competance of your employer is petty, juvenile, and just plain STUPID.
    Your clients/patients may not remember exactly what you said, or what you did, but they will remember how YOU made them FEEL. (re: Maya Angelou)
    Every day I save my OD money is another day I have a job. We may argue, we may debate, but it is HIS BUSINESS, not mine, and he SIGNS MY CHECKS.

OptiBoard Novice
    Had a man come in and said that when he opened his glasses to put them on that his fingers get pinched in the hinges. I laughed he didnt Hey boss theres someone here to see you.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Nancy
    Our job is to generate income for our Doctors.
    "Get the money, keep the money."
    If you don't like your job, or the people with whom you work, GET ANOTHER JOB!
    Bankrupting, slandering, or in any way, undermining the respect, reputation and/or competance of your employer is petty, juvenile, and just plain STUPID.
    Your clients/patients may not remember exactly what you said, or what you did, but they will remember how YOU made them FEEL. (re: Maya Angelou)
    Every day I save my OD money is another day I have a job. We may argue, we may debate, but it is HIS BUSINESS, not mine, and he SIGNS MY CHECKS.

Did I miss something along the way???? Who are you yelling at exactly?

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile Sticks hand up in the air. . .proudly!!

I believe that would be me!! I actually work for myself now, so case solved!!! :D :D
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Thread Information