Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    that reminds me, how about the person that brings in their own frame and after you clean them up, the tell you that its not their frame.
    I think we need a reallity TV program about the optical business.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialT
    This is at its best when the wife picks out the ugliest pair of frames possible.

I had a guy in the other day that brought in his own frame, it was a high end designer with a spectacle prescripion already in it. He is actually a wealthy business owner. This was the guy's first eye exam so I pretty much gathered from some of his other comments that the frame was his wifes old frame. Now he is going to be walking around his business looking rediculous. If he was a kidd he would get beat up on a daily basis wearing a pair of specs like that. We all got a good laugh out of it at least.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is at its best when the wife picks out the ugliest pair of frames possible.

I had a guy in the other day that brought in his own frame, it was a high end designer with a spectacle prescripion already in it. He is actually a wealthy business owner. This was the guy's first eye exam so I pretty much gathered from some of his other comments that the frame was his wifes old frame. Now he is going to be walking around his business looking rediculous. If he was a kidd he would get beat up on a daily basis wearing a pair of specs like that. We all got a good laugh out of it at least.
    Years ago I had a man bring his wife's old frame in to use. It was a grooved rimless but clearly to me it was a woman's frame. I told him it was and he didn't seem to care. I asked a couple of other patients at the next table if they thought it was a man's or woman's frame. When they both said it was a woman's frame he decided not to use it. I guess he just didn't believe me!

I once told a man that he wouldn't be able to see distance out of his reading glasses. He brought them back a few days after he got them and complained that they made his distance blurry. I told him that I had told him that. He said "I didn't believe you." :drop:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Another Dope

A Woman Called Last Week,

Customer.....can You Check When I Had My Last Exam?

Me................which Of Our Doctors Did You See?

Customer........oh... I Have Never Been To Your Office Before.

What I Wanted To Say...... How The F*#* Should We Know

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    -- 'Its the perfect frame for me! But do you think it might be out of style in five years!'

-- "Thanks for the fitting! I just wanted to let you know that I will always come to see you to get my glasses adjusted; the place I bought them just can't get it right but you do the first time every time!" (as he's heading for the door with nary an offer of payment for the twenty minutes I just spent adjusting someone else's problem) "You mean to say there's a charge for that?"

-- "What do you mean, I can't put a pair of prescription sunglass lenses in this frame? This cost me $25.00 at the drug store!"

-- "You're telling me that I'm going to have to change the lens again after my cataract surgery?"

-- "Guess I shouldn't have told you my son ran over them with his bike. You would have warrantied them if I had said they just fell apart, right?"

-- "I swear I did not drop them! These lenses are defective; look at the gouges in them!" (to this, my boss suggested that perhaps the molecules just escaped from the lens surface)

-- "My eye doctor SAID that if I needed the lenses changed you would do it for free! Its not my problem he made a mistake!"

-- "Yes, I sat on them! But the frame must be defective; it should not have broken!"

-- "My glasses slide down my nose if I reach behind my head and pull on my left ear; can you fix them?"

-- "I want to see the optician" (to this I asked what I could do for him)Man says ,"Not you, I want one of the men."

-- "You'll honor a coupon from XYZ Optical down the road, right?

--"Do you give discounts?"

--"What do you charge for lenses?" or "How much are your frames?"

Sorry but I just couldn't decide on the one stupidest question; the list could go on and on and on and..................

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    pt - I have some scratches in my lenses

pull pt's chart to see if under warranty ask him to have a seat

me - Wow I've never seen glass so scratched up. (The entire front of the lens totally opaque)

him - it wasn't that bad till I tried to buff them out.

me - sir why would you do that?

him - well I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think it would work. That would have been stupid wouldn't it?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The finish on these frames is no good. When I pick at it with my thumbnail like this (chips paint off) the paint comes right off!
    My reply: why would anyone do something like that? (patient looks at me like I'm speaking portuguese)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I had a patient come in with his glasses in pieces. i asked him what happen and he said he was working on his car, the glasses fell into the fan of the engine and this is what happen.

I have the frame in one hand and pieces of a (1) crizal lens in the other. I told him that those could not be warrantied for defect. He says sure you can, there's a scratch right there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by loncoa
    The finish on these frames is no good. When I pick at it with my thumbnail like this (chips paint off) the paint comes right off!
    My reply: why would anyone do something like that? (patient looks at me like I'm speaking portuguese)
    My skin is no good either. When I slice it with this razor blade....
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

I know we've ALL had this one:

"Do you have anyone who can fix this?" (places severly traumatized plastic frame with pieces of the lower rims actually missing, on the counter)

"Gosh, I'm sorry but there is nothing we can do to resurrect that other than putting your lenses into a new frame"

"But can't you use some Crazy-Glue or something?"

Sigh......

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ahh! Super glue, the cure all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K
    I know we've ALL had this one:

"Do you have anyone who can fix this?" (places severly traumatized plastic frame with pieces of the lower rims actually missing, on the counter)

"Gosh, I'm sorry but there is nothing we can do to resurrect that other than putting your lenses into a new frame"

"But can't you use some Crazy-Glue or something?"

Sigh......

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PT: Can you take the writing off of these lenses for me?

ME: I can do better than that, give me 15 minutes and I'll put a whole new set of lenses in there and you'll actually be able to see out of them.

I've only been at it for a year so I can only imagine the types of things I'm gonna hear in my next 20-30 years. Can't wait!!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

questions

One of the ones i love actually comes from doctors after post operative cataract surgery. Just go next door and medicare will buy you a pair of glasses:idea:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always try to remind people that medicare don't buy nobody nothing. The taxpayers do.

Bad address email on file Visionz's Avatar
    Patient had an eye exam done at the doctors office next door, when he comes out of the office with a minor OU -0.25 prescription. He askmed me " Are all these glasses free, can i pick anyone i want to" lol

Occupation
    A patient came in to order glasses. She specifically requested that we use a 10 bc on her moderate Rx in a plastic frame. After clocking the current lenses she was wearing and neutralizing the Rx of the current lenses, I determined that YES, she IS wearing a rather "strange" combination (mild plus Rx on a 10 bc).

I had to ask her WHY would ask such a request (how would she know to specifiy a specific BC? )

She said that long ago~a few years back~ she had a problem and the optician told her that "from now on, specifically ask for your lenses on a 10 bc".

She prefers a 10 bc, in her plastic frame, because she wears excessively long (fake) eyelashes and didn't want the lashes to brush against the lens.

:hammer:

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    mrmac my friend, you have created the never ending thread :cheers:

Scupper Jacks this Friday?

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got a new one yesterday (after 20 years in the business, I thought I had heard them all).

"Do you charge for eye exams?"

I bit my tongue. I was dying to deliver a snarky response like: "No. We're just benevolent folks. We do exams because we just love it, and we can't help ourselves"

Sigh.

Bad address email on file pbsE46's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This may have been posted already, but I don't have enough time to read all the threads...

"You mean these prices don't include lenses" Dumbass:hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I haven't caught any of my patients doing this, but there are stories out there about patients who get prescribed an eyedrop and they take it by mouth.

How dense must a person be to do something like that?
    This is why KY Jelly says for internal use only. The woman who filed a law suite because it didn't work. She was putting it on toast. Ugh. :hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    I hear this one all the time:

You have a patient in new contacts in the chair in front of the eye chart. You ask: "What's the lowest line you can see?
    Patient answers: "You mean on the eye chart?"
    :hammer: Chip

Or how about...
    Doc: "Tell me when you can see the bottom row on the chart."

Patient: "The very bottom?"

Doc (thinking mean thoughts): "Yes the VERY bottom" :hammer:

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    There must certainly be a thread on stupidopticalcustomersboard.com titled "What is the dumbest thing you can say when purchasing eyewear?" They all read it, and say the same thing wherever they go! Either that, or you all are stealing my customers...;)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Can you "move" my old Rx lens from Nunor(38 mm) to the Cartier frame (52 MM)?:hammer:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have a patient who is wearing a -29. ou with astigmatism. She wants to know why medicaid will not pay for all this lens, Wal-mart did! (Please go to Wal-mart!)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    When we charge a fitting fee for contact lens patients we give coupons towards contacts or glasses to redeem it (equivalent to the fitting fee). I had one person ask if he could apply the coupons received from the fitting fee towards his fitting fee.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    "Hey! What did you do to my glasses, I can see out of them now"

uhuhuh....Cleaned them.

Thread Information