Thread: non Rx contacts??????????????

OptiBoard Apprentice

non Rx contacts??????????????

What do you think about purchasing non-RX colored contacts without a written prescription. How often do people call or come in to your office and ask about colored contacts and are amazed that they need a prescription to purchase lenses. Or they tell you that can get them from the local beauty supply house or nail salon. What is your experience with this situation?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Nothing wrong with a licenced dispenser selling non-rx contacts as long as person has had a recent eye exam.

Bad address email on file Visionz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Nothing wrong with a licenced dispenser selling non-rx contacts as long as person has had a recent eye exam.
    Exactly, we probbaly sell like over 5 a day at our store and on fridays we sell about 10+. As long as they are old enough, know how to wear contacts, had a recent eye exam, they are good to go.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The patient must present a current rx with the specifics of what brand to dispense. We DO NOT dispense what's not written by the doctor. NO exceptions. Just because they wear contacts, doesn't mean they can get whatever kind they want. I

s this question for real??????

OptiWizard
    No such thing as non-prescription contact lenses.
    :cheers: Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

OptiBoardaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopper
    No such thing as non-prescription contact lenses.
    Correct, and for good reason. A recent eye exam could have revealed many things that would contraindicate contact lens wear. Or maybe they are using eyedrops that should not be used with contacts.

Perhaps some of the first few posters on this thread would like to get more specific on this recent eye exam thing. Maybe there is an approval process in Canada but why not just have an Rx in that case? (even if plano) But to me, dispensing contacts without an Rx is rediculous, not to mention a crime!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Non-Rx?

After all the publicity and recent legislation regarding the illegal sale of "plano" (versus non-Rx) colored lenses, to hear some of you indicate that it is alright is beyone me. There is no such thing as a non-Rx contact lens! The recent reports os serious ocular injury stemming from the sale of these lenses at flea markets, hair dressers and gas stations has been widely publicized and needs to be noted. I don't think any of you really feel this method of delivery is OK, because you mention a licensed "dispenser" in your comments, but a "dispenser" needs an Rx don't they? Contact lenses must be correctly fitted and followed to be certain no physiological harm comes to the eye, and distribution of these lenses through unauthorized delivery methods presents a clear public health concern.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    In some countries (the Great White North?) there are no Rx laws regulating plano cosmetic CLs. That's their business, I guess.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think visionz was the only person saying it was ok . No one else here did.

Is it different in Canada? Can someone purchase plano contacts without an rx?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    In some countries (the Great White North?) there are no Rx laws regulating plano cosmetic CLs. That's their business, I guess.
    No. You are confused. In Canada there are RX laws for contacts. Actually, in Ontario you cannot even buy contacts from evil 1800. You have to buy them from a licensed OD or RO.

But they need a valid RX. That means an RX that is at least 2 years old. Also, you have to take measurements at least every two years. However, you can have an RX of plano and be able to wear colour contacts.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm confused? Thanks.

I guess I am confused after your post. Can a Candian citizen get a colored lens, such as a Freshlook or an Acuvue 2 without a specific Freshlook or Acuvue 2 Rx? I.e., can a person be wearing a Cooper lens and then get a Ciba color lens without a specific Rx?

I understand that in the far east countries, no Rx is needed for contacts, at all.

Occupation
    You need an eye exam. The eye exam just has to be dated and give the prescription. Thus, if the doctor finds that the person's rx is plano that is okay. The rx does not have to say anything about the person being able to wear colour contacts or whatever brand.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, is it an eyeglasses rx or a contact rx that they give you? What about the measurements? Ie, base curve?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    So, is it an eyeglasses rx or a contact rx that they give you? What about the measurements? Ie, base curve?
    glasses RX. It is up to the licensed dispenser to come up with the rest. The liscensed dispenser has to do proper measurements and derive the contact rx.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Doesn't a patient have to present to a dispenser with an Rx that at least says "ok for contacts" before a dispenser can fit them? The doctor may have said "no contacts" but the patient chooses to disregard this and tries to find someone who will fit them.

I thought they had to be "prescribed" before they were fit....otherwise someone is taking on a great deal of responsibility as to whether any pre-existing contra-indications are present, plano or not.

In the US anyway.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Great this is just what I was looking for some dialog.

I thought it was against the law to provide contacts witout a Rx?
    And I huess it is still debatable in the US.
    I would like to thank you guys that where up to date on the US laws and said this is wrong and NO you can't sell non Rx contacts.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can sell all the non-Rx contacts you want to, you just have to have an Rx for them.:p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hee hee

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ther is an ad for them in my Allure magazine. You can just go online or call and order whatever you want. Their disclaimer says "must follow proper care instructions" but doesn't say anything about having an actual RX. I have seen a few websites that offer them without an rx also.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fda

Please make a report to the FDA regarding this very illegal advertisement if you can find it again.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    glasses RX. It is up to the licensed dispenser to come up with the rest. The liscensed dispenser has to do proper measurements and derive the contact rx.
    So, is it correct to say that in Canada:
    1.) Some Dr.s write specific CONTACT LENS Rx's, which include brand specification

2.) Some Dr.s don't fit contacts, and contact lens fitting opticians are able to fit them, if provided with "proof" of a recent exam, and spectacle Rx from which to work?

If 2.) is true, then do YOU author a CLRX, including brand specification? If so, who supervises eye health?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The whole situation sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It depends on the state. Here we are allowed BY STATE STATUTE to fit contact lenses. Obviously we require a Dr's RX, and if it does not state 'OK for CTL', we call their office to verify there are no contraindications to CTlens wear.

OUr state also has a fairly comprehensive practical for CTL (soft and RGP) included in the state licensing exam. That, along with the fact that a current NCLE cert is required to sit for the exam, would ensure that an LO would be at least minimally competent to fit lenses.

In states that don't have specific rules allowing opticians to fit lenses, I would imagine that since the FDA has begun to regulate plano contacts as medical devices, any non 'prescribed' (as in MD or OD) lens would be a no-no.

AA

Thread Information