Thread: Innovations Datum

Bad address email on file

Innovations Datum

Can Innovation be set so that it use by default for segment height the datum and not the box system?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by gola
    Can Innovation be set so that it use by default for segment height the datum and not the box system?
    No.

Thanks for the answer.

Too bad for us that always work with datum.

Occupation
    Thanks for the answer.

Too bad for us that always work with datum.

Turn away from the Dark Side.

Datum measurements are - let me see, how can I put this? - nuts.

Somtimes there are more than one way to go.

I has seen that depending of the region people use datum or box system. I am in the region of the world that uses Datum and we has done the job very well.

IInnovations has been sold all over the world and as far as i know, from Mexico up to south Amereica and some European countries use Datum. That is a lot of customers that could benefits.

It is a great software and maybe in new released we would see this corrected.

Occupation
    I know there are parts of the world in which opticians measure seg heights by the datum system, however, that doesn't change the fact that when a tracing is not available, the number produced thereby is simply meaningless. That alone is a reason not to use it, custom notwithstanding.

I wonder if it's true that datum measurements are common throughout the area you mention; in almost twenty years of selling into Latin America and Mexico, yours is the first mention of it I've received.

It's common in the UK, and to a lesser extent in Oz; there's been the rare Canadian.

And in any case, I've never heard a competent defense of the system (and in my opinion, none is possible).

Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    I know there are parts of the world in which opticians measure seg heights by the datum system, however, that doesn't change the fact that when a tracing is not available, the number produced thereby is simply meaningless. That alone is a reason not to use it, custom notwithstanding.
    Remmenber that in the past most frames did not have demolens where to mark the pupil and for dispensing people it is easier just use a ruler, align it with the pupil and read the high. You do not need to look for the lowest border of the frame. Maybe this is how this method started.

When this job gets to the lab, i undestand your point and agree that Box System may be more accurate and easy while doing descentration calculations. But for a experienced worker when used to deal only with the datum system it also produce accurate results while calculating descentration. I can assure that.

I wonder if it's true that datum measurements are common throughout the area you mention; in almost twenty years of selling into Latin America and Mexico, yours is the first mention of it I've received.

Good topic for a survey. Let me ask to a few friends in the bussiness. I will let you know.

And in any case, I've never heard a competent defense of the system (and in my opinion, none is possible).
    In my opinion, it is easier for a less experienced person to measure a segment high if he use the Datum system. This could be a reason.
    There are more people doing dispensing that people calculating descentration.

Two people does not have to agree in everything and i undestand and respect your way of thinking. Sometimes you can not fight against tradition and in my country the standard is Datum System and have to live with it.
    That is why i was inquiring that since Innovations has the Datum option, if it could be set as a default.

By the way, are there stil many people calculating manually the descentration? About 30 years ago i designe a ruler to calculate descentration without knowing how to add or substract.

If someone is interested i can share it.

Occupation

But for a experienced worker when used to deal only with the datum system it also produce accurate results while calculating descentration. I can assure that.
    Tell me how you calculate it.

I just ask Gerber Coburn in Miami. The answer is in spanish but i will try to translate.
    "En Latino America es mas común el sistema Datum y en los Estados Unidos el sistema box es mas común. Las maquinas bloqueadoras típicamente ofrecen seleccionar cual de los dos sistemas serán usado por el laboratorio.
    Pedro Parra
    Sales Manager Latin America
    Gerber Coburn, A Gerber Scientific Company "

My translation in spanglish.

"In Latin America is more common the Datum System and in U.S. the Box System is more common. The blocking machines tipically offers select which of the two systems will be used in the lab."

Another topic for a poll will be. ¿How many people know that both methods exist and what is the difference between them? You may find that many people only Know the one they use.

Occupation
    Nobody tells me anything.

Nobody tells me anything.
    We are in this board to have comunication with other people and be better informed.
    I have to thank you because answering my post you have provide me information that not many people know or are willing to comunicate.

Thread Information