Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eyemasters AR coating

OptiBoard Apprentice
    What do the warranties cover?
    I imagine you would have to have more than a couple scratches or for the
    AR to be basically coming off.... eh?

The person I know that had hers coming off couldn't even see through them anymore.
    She has told me however that she's had AR on many pairs of glasses and this is the first trouble she's had.
    She has never asked about the type of AR or progressive lens she wears/buys and could care less. :)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was probably poorly applied to the lens to begin with if she had that bad of a problem in a short period of time and it was actually coming off rather than just scratching. Good thing there was a warranty for her and let's hope she doesn't continue to have the same problem.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I think she only had them about a month too.
    They reapplied AR to the lenses, which I've heard conflicting opinions on.
    Time will tell I guess.

Once you get your feet wet...
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This is such a good thread because it exposes the fact that most of this industry knows very little about AR. But, when Essilor and others lead with their typical marketing hype, no one will get the truth about AR.

1yr vs. 2yr warranty - I know a lab with a 2yr but they are using a UV cured scratch coat which is a poor foundation for the AR stack to be stable. Oh, but its super hydrophobic.

Baked vs. Dipping - most thermally cured coatings are dipped. As for the others, they can't get their machinery to work.

You need to be asking questions and learning about what an AR is: lens prep, cushion coat, hard coat, AR stack (typically secret), hydrophobic, oleophobic, who runs the machines, R&D capabilities, etc.

There is really good product in the market but more bad which hurts us all. "Yea, I've had that but it peeled off." I hear this from most chain sales, especially Walmart. Find out who has been into coatings for decades, learn from them and stick with them. They will continually update the product as new processes arise.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is a SatisLoh unit... I've seen it (interal ECCA training video). The coating is some nonbranded cheapest they could get in quantity stuff (I was told by a territory manager when I worked there it was Zeiss... I don't think so). The real problem is that it isn't operated well... it appears to be run just like a surface room rather than a clean room, guys in street clothes stacking and moving the carriers in and out of the unit. I don't know how other labs run their AR units, but it seems to me that an AR room should be a cleanroom environment, similar to what you see in microprocessor manufacturing labs. on average... I was tossing about 12-18 lenses a week when I was working for ECCA because of AR defects (there was actually an eyelash or nose hair on the edge of one or two lenses during my time there), and was running about 3 remakes a week for AR problems that developed after dispensing.
    Last edited by eromitlab; 03-03-2006 at 08:42 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Did they charge extra for the nose hair? :drop:

Once you get your feet wet...
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Dd
    Did they charge extra for the nose hair?
    They would need the knowledge to identify that it is hair and not a part of the lens.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Lets hear about the good ones................

Quote Originally Posted by jrctx
    They would need the knowledge to identify that it is hair and not a part of the lens.
    How about you guy's starting to talk positive.......................we know that the large corporations turn out a good product.

So now lets hear about the smaller independent AR coaters that also make good AR coatings and I am sure there must be plenty of them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    How about you guy's starting to talk positive.......................we know that the large corporations turn out a good product.

So now lets hear about the smaller independent AR coaters that also make good AR coatings and I am sure there must be plenty of them.
    Sinclair Optical in the UK make a crackingly good coating - Ultimar

Occupation

Redhot Jumper and all the others are starving to death..........................

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    Sinclair Optical in the UK make a crackingly good coating - Ultimar
    Fine we got one answer............from the UK.

Nobody being mentioned in North America from Mexico to Canada. Which reanslates into the corporations are all doing 100% of the jobs and advertisings, and all the others are starving to death.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Optovision Technologies in Dallas. I've been using those guys for over a decade (admittedly off-and-on, but not by my decision). They had some issues over the years, like everyone else, but have made an excellent product for years. Their Transparence coating is every bit as good as Crizal, Carat, or any others, but isn't as much $$, and can be applied to ANY lens (as long as it is uncut). One key is in the hard coat, which is applied to both sides of the lens, then baked on. The other keys are secrets, or so I've been told. I know that in the past 18 months, I've only had one return, and that guy works with chemicals daily; we remade them and no problems since. I wear their coating on my lenses, and work in a lab. I clean my lenses like all good lab guys do- with my shirt (full of lens dust). I need to remake them now, after 6 months of use. BECAUSE MY DOG KNOCKED THEM ONTO THE CONCRETE. They're not scratched... they chipped. Independent. Privately owned. AMERICAN owned. Try 'em....:D

Occupation

Fantastic pool of answer.

Fantastic pool of answer.

One from the UK.....................and one from the USA

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    A/R is only (sadly) 17% of the eyeglass market. Maybe it's hard to judge good/bad when most opticians aren't smart enough to sell it. We make fun of places like Wal-Mart, but they sell about 80% A/R. My shop does around 60%, but that's because we sell a ton of polarized 'shades also: no A/R, but we do add a few mirrors. Optovision in Dallas does my mirrors as well, and no problem there, either.

Thread Information