Thread: Please Help With Glasses

OptiBoard Novice

Please Help With Glasses

I just bought a pair of totally rimless 122 frames from costco. Call me crazy but they don't seem to be even. The right lens is nice and straight, the left one seems to be pointing up on the far left. Also when I look at the frames from the top, the right lense is about 3-4 mm infront of the left one. I can post pics to show what I mean. Would this warrent an exchange or something? I like the right side of the glasses but not the left !! Please Advise

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jj300
    ...Please Advise
    Buy your glasses from an independant licensed (or ABO certified) optician.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just bought a pair of totally rimless 122 frames from costco. Call me crazy but they don't seem to be even. The right lens is nice and straight, the left one seems to be pointing up on the far left. Also when I look at the frames from the top, the right lense is about 3-4 mm infront of the left one. I can post pics to show what I mean. Would this warrent an exchange or something? I like the right side of the glasses but not the left !! Please Advise
    take em back, with your concerns. Dont be rude, and see what happens

OptiBoard Novice
    I'll post pictures later on today to show what I mean. It just seems that maybe they were bent too much, also the guy who adjusted them bend the sides of the glasses that have the flex metal in them, now they have a little indent instead of a straight line. Will show this also.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You goes to the cheapest place you gets the cheapest product done by the cheapest help.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll post pictures later on today to show what I mean. It just seems that maybe they were bent too much, also the guy who adjusted them bend the sides of the glasses that have the flex metal in them, now they have a little indent instead of a straight line. Will show this also.
    They are either right or not in terms of geometry/lens shape/rotation, side angles etc. If they fit you when they look (or are) "geometrically correct" is a different issue completley

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just bought a pair of totally rimless 122 frames from costco. Call me crazy...
    jj300:

Allow me...

YOU ARE MOST DEFINITELY CRAZY!!

Anything else I can do for you?:bbg:
    Last edited by Johns; 02-15-2006 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Seemed like a good thing to do

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not that I am for corporate eyecare, but as far as Costco goes, at least ALL their opticians are ABO or state certified. Even in non licensed states.

It sounds like the person either didn't too great of a job adjusting, or that it is possible that the drill holes aren't in symmetrical places on each lens.

Costco can fix either of these issues.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Take 'em back...

No, you arent crazy, they most likely ARE bent or out of alignment. No, I don't think it warrants an exchange, it probably just needs adjustment. Take them back to costco and let the opticians there work on them.

And may I say, you're going to find as you browse through the board that many posters on Optiboard don't have a high opinion of discount chains like Costco. I agree with Chip's comments, cheaper price means cheaper quality. While I do appreciate that you want to get the best deal possible, I would encourage you to get the best deal without compromising the quality of the product and service you ultimately recieve. No one should have to turn to the internet because their glasses are not adjusted properly. I just find that disturbing.
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Answer me this. As a rule, are your "best and brightest" of any profession offering low, low price, discounted services and working Saturday night at 8 pm? I don't think so.
    Every now and then you might get lucky and find a true pro (an Optician, who knows how to "make", repair, adapt, and take care of eyewear like a craftsman) who's biding his time at one of these places, waiting for a much better position that he/she will get. Its the rare exception. We all know it. The consumer learns it the hard way.
    If its too good to be true (in this case- price and quality), it isn't true.
    I know these 2 guys who paint home interiors. Their work is impecable. They have a great reputation in town. They have all these hand done finishes, a drip mark is unheard of. They leave the job cleaner than when they got there, they're time efficient. They change their paper booties over their shoes every time they leave the house and come back in. The list goes on... They charge a little more than the normal going rate, I think 20-25 per cent more. They have a waiting list for clients. They are worth it, so are we.
    Last edited by Specs; 02-15-2006 at 08:14 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    If I had $500 to spend on a pair of glasses I would def go to a speciality place. However, money is really tight when you are in college. Here are the pics, I think you can see one lense further in than the other, one lens seems to be driled a little lower than the other, making the lens higher than the other one. Not a lot but I can see it. What do you guys think?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gfinge...=/83dd&.src=ph

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Drilling done wrong, a pair of glasses like this or similar design could be done in single vision for $200~$300 or less at a less than high end quality optical shop.

As for your immeadate problem take them back and fuss a little ask for a re-make or a refund.

OptiBoard Novice
    Would the drilling change depending on your prescription? mine reads
    -1 -25 180
    -1 -25 160

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    no.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    -1 -25 180
    -1 -25 160
    JJ,
    We have all said that you should take them back to the optician, so why haven't you done that?

Would you be asking us if you should take back a TV with a slanted screen? It would already be gone. Why are your glasses any different?

TAKE THEM BACK!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Drilling is definately done wrong. I agree, take them back!!! If you are not satisfied you deserve to get what you paid for.

Steph

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    -1 -25 180
    -1 -25 160
    Why does this matter? You asked for advice and the majority advises "take them back".

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I stand by my first post...

... me crazy but they don't seem to be even.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Awwwww geeze, I'm gonna alienate all the members of this forum but, what the heck. Every dispenser here, and in the world, has done a bad job on one or more pairs of specs. Costco is no different. It comes down to the capability of the individual.

Overall, chains suffer from turnover. Independents do not. Having said that, Costco does require certification and pays more than competitors so they do draw better quality dispensers and have less turnover than most other chains. Lack of turnover is not necessarily a good thing either. Incompetent last year; incompetent this year.

Costco does offer extremely low pricing due to their concept of a fixed mark-up based upon cost. That is good for the consumer and bad for independents. They do not offer the variety of options in frames or lenses available from independents...you'll get whatever they stock. For example, there are probably over 100 progressive lens designs on the market. Costco, and other chains, are limited to one or two. Independents have the universe to choose from...providing they know the options. Lens materials likewise. Chains display every iteration of a frame: typically 3 sizes w/ 4 colors equalling 12 SKU's. An independent typically would display 3 sizes in 3 colors, throwing out the less favorable color, for 3 SKU's but representing the total choices available. But the choice or variety of choices could be much more than the chain tho it doesn't appear to have as many frames. Likewise for anti-reflective coatings. There are umteen available on the market. The chain has a selection of one; independents can choose from umteen based upon performance. And, as much as we'd like to think, the quality of coatings does vary from coater to coater and from day to day.

I'm a strong independent supporter (and I have absolutely no connections to Costco) but they are rated first in chains by Consumers Reports and equal in points to independents. And, they offer a warranty as good (or better than?) many independents. Being a chain is not necesaarily bad. Being an independent is not necessarily good.

Go back. Explain your problem. And, let us know the result.
    Last edited by Jim G; 02-16-2006 at 12:51 AM.

Thread Information