Thread: 1st black woman VP of the US?

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

1st black woman VP of the US?

So now that Mr. Whittington's health has taken a turn for the worse, though I'm sure we all hope he recovers completely, it does make for some good speculation. Presuming that for some reason this goes poorly for the VP, or he simply decides to 'take one for the team', who do you think would get the nod?

Leaving out the mindnumblingly stupid possibilities (Karl Rove, Jeb Bush) I'd say the front runner could quite possibly be Ms. Rice. She obviously has the trust of the President, she's clearly quite smart, if there were any particuarly nasty skeletons in the cloest we would have heard about them by now and it would be a heck of a PR coup for the Republican party.

Anyone else given this any thought?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My concern would be putting a third S of S in place under this administration. People need a chance to get things right; in these dangerous times I would prefer to build on experience at such a critical post.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Well, as much as I would like to see Dr. Rice become VP, I don't see it happening. First, I don't see Cheney stepping down, and you can't throw him out of office for a hunting accident. Second, if Rice were to become VP, there would be even more pressure on her to run for president in '08, which she has already indicated she doesn't want to do. I guess she could do a "listening tour" and see if that changes her mind!
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    do they call her Condescending Rice in the US too, or is it just everyone else?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Do they call her Condescending Rice in the US too, or is it just everyone else?
    As to name calling, I'm not sure what all her detractors call her here- I guess the nickname I've heard most often has been "Condy."

As to "everyone else's" opinion of our Secretary of State, I would be a bit nervous if a Secretary of State of the United States of America were universally loved!

Personal opinion, I don't think Sec. Rice would ever win a Presidential election (perhaps as a VP, but not as the Chief Executive). From the speeches and opinions I've seen her deliver, she's a pretty smart cookie though- and an able Secretary of State.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Thread Information