Thread: Advice on high myopic prescription

OptiBoard Novice

Advice on high myopic prescription

I would like to get your expert advice on choosing a lens material. I’ve been using high index glass for quite a few years (Essilor Stigmal 18) and I’m quite happy with it. But this was in Europe, and I recently moved to the US. I need to get new glasses, but all the optical stores I visited keep pushing me towards high index plastic 1.7. I’m afraid that this won’t look as good as my current glasses (I’m very sensitive to thickness and that "milk bottle look", that I’ve been able to avoid up so far). What’s your opinion?

I wear plastic frames eyesize 48 and my prescription is:

OD -11.00 -1.50 x 20

OS -11.75 -2.25 x 150

Thanks a lot for your help.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander
    I would like to get your expert advice on choosing a lens material. I’ve been using high index glass for quite a few years (Essilor Stigmal 18) and I’m quite happy with it. But this was in Europe, and I recently moved to the US. I need to get new glasses, but all the optical stores I visited keep pushing me towards high index plastic 1.7. I’m afraid that this won’t look as good as my current glasses (I’m very sensitive to thickness and that "milk bottle look", that I’ve been able to avoid up so far). What’s your opinion?

OD -11.00 -1.50 x 20

OS -11.75 -2.25 x 150

dear amigo,
    the best advice i can give you is to try to acquire the same lens material that you are wearing now.
    nothing made here in the usa is going to match the quality of optics of your high index glass lenses, unless you find the same material here.
    have someone special order your lenses as "uncuts" from europe, even if they cost more by the time you have them edged here in the usa.
    i don't care what any lab person or sales rep says,
    high index plastic (even Aspheric) will never match the quality of a High Index "Glass" lens.
    if you are very particular and sensitive to quality of optics, you should follow my advice.

gracias,

gilberto
    "blessed to give; grateful to receive"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    hi Olander - do you find that the glass lenses are much heavier on your face than plastic? Assuming you have had plastic ones before. I have thought about having glass lenses before to get a better look but worried about heaviness and them slipping down my nose and digging in my nost etc. Also - if anyone is in the know , would glass lenses give better vision than the plastic ones? I don't really have vision trouble with my plastic lenses, but I suppose people don't know how blind they are until they are actually made able to see properly, that could be the case with me :-/

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by shyiris
    Also - if anyone is in the know , would glass lenses give better vision than the plastic ones?

Yes, glass lenses are visually superior to plastic ones.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone know if high index glass is available in Mexico? I notice you live in LA. I know it is available in Canada.You can get 1.74 high index plastic in the U.S. now. With your rx it would be thinner then the 1.70 plastic if you decide to try plastic.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    has anyone heard of Hoya's new Teslalid lens? it's a 1.71 index and they claim it can accomodate a wide range of powers. I haven't gotten the specifics, yet, but I'm going to check with them this week for info.

Software Engineer NetPriva.com mirage2k2's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by eromitlab
    has anyone heard of Hoya's new Teslalid lens? it's a 1.71 index...
    This must be the eyry 1.7. Good abbe value - 36, available in spherical(hilux), aspheric(nulux) and atoric(nulux EP).

More info http://www.hoya.co.uk

I agree with other comments in this post about glass providing better optics than plastic - I've gone from 1.8 glass to 1.74 plastic and there is quite a noticeable difference

Just guessing ... I'd imagine you'd have to go for a high abbe 1.6 plastic (like Hoya eyas with abbe 42) to get similar vision as 1.8 glass. ;)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Idea Glass versus Plastic

I have success with 1.8 Index glass lenses and I also do X-Ray lenses for Drs in the x-ray room. No comparision optics wise. Glass is very clear with no high index film to look thru. I truly think the high indexs are for very high rxs. Don't forget this is just my opinion on the indexs. What you want to is take a 1.80 index lense glass which is heavy and surface it to less than 1.0 center, take another lense of any style and surface it to 1.0 and cement together and edge. Great optics and not as heavy. This way you can get photocromic and a bifocal or many other options from this point. To day there was a job came to my desk that was -30.00 -2.50 axis not important. Now this is a good rx to use the indexs for help. It's a 54 eye BUT only 30 vertical. I finished the first side and checked the cylinder power and tomorrow I'll finish the other side. I only need a 26 mm vertical field and with a plus carrier the edge will be great. There are so many tricks to making a good looking pair of lenses I really don't know where the end is. I have 1.74 plastic lenses also but only as a last resort. They are full of sulfer content and will smell up the whole lab. Every day has a new challenge for me and it,s exciting.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Please read the posting guidelines...

Quote Originally Posted by Olander

OD -11.00 -1.50 x 20

OS -11.75 -2.25 x 150

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

Thread Information