View Poll Results: Drills Jobs: packaged or seperately charged ?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, packaged

11 68.75%
  • no, charged seperately

5 31.25%
  • other (please list)

0 0%

Thread: Question about Drill Mount Jobs

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Question about Drill Mount Jobs

As I am entering the invoices into the computer for the new company I work for, I am noticing that the DRILL & EDGE POLISH fees are seperate from the cost of the frames and lenses on drill jobs.

I am just curious as my previous employer included both of those in the cost of the frames (never as an add-on) on drill jobs.

(edge polish was a seperate fee if a patient was using a semi-rimless or full frame).

I guess I am wondering what is "best practice" or "common practice" amongst you all.

I would think that from a consumer point of view, it would be better to have all that included in the frame price but I don't know.

Looking for ideas and feedback ~

Thanks much ~

Karen

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Insurance

We typically package it together, with an extra $25 added to the frame cost on top of our regular markup..

However, for VSP mainly, most of their plans cover this aspect of the lens processing. IN fact, they conssider it a lens service. Therefore we have to break it down for filing purposes, and this is the reason why many shops might keep it seperate.

At LC, they didn't deal with insurance plans that treated this as a lens service.

The reason why we keep it packaged is because most private pay patients get upset if they think their frame is x, lenses are y, and then you are telling me I have to pay extra because I chose this frame! We polled our patients and they expressed the desire to be able to look at the price tag and know that it won't actually cost more than that to own.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Cassandra ~

That is what I am thinking, but of course, you & I come from the same background and that might influence our opinions.

Thanks ~

Karen

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think the patient should see a package price, it's easier for them to comprehend. Labs break it down on thier invoices for other reasons.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    The reason why we keep it packaged is because most private pay patients get upset if they think their frame is x, lenses are y, and then you are telling me I have to pay extra because I chose this frame! We polled our patients and they expressed the desire to be able to look at the price tag and know that it won't actually cost more than that to own.
    I out of my way to tell patients at the very beginning that if they choose a rimless or drill-mounted frame that the lens costs extra. Lay that groundwork first and you'll very rarely get a complaint, particularly since they understand that they're free to choose a different frame if they balk at the cost.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We tried that.. we even toyed with the idea of placing a sign. We have a lot of patients that will come in and start looking in the dispensary before we can spend a bit of time and explain things. Then others will have "forgotten" when it comes time to finalize the totals, and then balk.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    So they just want something for nothing. Classy.

You could always offer to waive the drill charge, use CR39 (if you can find a lab willing to drill CR39), and have them sign and date a very clearly worded waiver that states that their glasses have no warranty whatsoever, and any defects in lens manufacture will be at the patient's expense.

Sometimes we're a little too well-trained to look for the best deal--you pay for what you get. The reverse applies, too. ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I incorporate it into the price of the frame. I've never thought it was right to sell a frame and then tell them it was going to cost another $40 to drill the holes.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do my own drillmounts and don't charge any extra........:idea:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    package them

people hate seeing additional charges.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Seperate seems easier, in case your just supplying lenses for an existing frame.

Sneaky side benefit is that when patients are looking at your frame boards the cost of a three piece isn't as big of a change over a regular frame.

Bad address email on file
    If you include the cost of drilling on the frame does the customer complains when he returns to replace a broken lens and he is charged for the lens and the drilling services?

Thread Information