Thread: Nikoneyes Customized No Line Lenses

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Nikoneyes Customized No Line Lenses

From the world of Wal-Mart we get this suprisingly similar 'sounding' lens design to that of some of the latest in lens designs released.

A Retail Optical First!

Nikoneyes Customized Prescription Processed No Line Lenses

The Next Generation of Visual Freedom

NEW: The Age of Customization

With Smart - "Digital Surfacing Tooling" (I thought that was trademarked) variable back-surface aspheric Rx curves are 'harmonized' by complex guidance software with the front-surface No Line design...each lens is adjusted precisely to the visual needs of each customer for optical performance...A 'Custmized' Rx every time.

The Ideal Nikoneyes Customized Rx No Line Candidate

Customers with unusual Rx needs represent the best candidates, those most liekly to fully appreciate the added performance Nikoneyes Custmozied lenses offer.

Nikoneyes No Line already offers superior performance across the Rx range compared to other No Line lenses.

Available in 1.67 with Transitions and Clear.

Platinum AST (No Glare with Anti-Static Technology) stays cleaner longer and stays clearer longer.

My questions:

How is this lens different than Varilux Physio or Varilux Physio 360?
    How is Platinum AST different than Crizal Alize' with Clear Guard?
    Does anyone really care if Essilor sells Crizal and Crizal Alize' to Wal-Mart under a different name?

Adam
    Last edited by Cherry Optical; 02-07-2006 at 11:33 PM. Reason: content

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

The difference?

It would be interesting to see if the same Rx ordered from a Varilux lab and a Walmart both using the freeform designs have any difference in the surfaces. This can be measured with special digital probe equipment in say 1mm intervals.

My guess is, the measurements would be the same, however this is only a guess. The chance of the consumer knowing that this is the same product is very slim however.

What surprises me the most is a Japanese company would let their name be used by anyone, even Essilor, to produce the same lens and presenting it in a way that allows the Nikon name to be a step below an Essilor product.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    What surprises me the most is a Japanese company would let their name be used by anyone, even Essilor, to produce the same lens and presenting it in a way that allows the Nikon name to be a step below an Essilor product.
    I don't know all the details of the 'deal' but I believe there was some swaping of market share to allow Essilor into Japan and Nikon to become a 'marquee' name in the US market. Fast forward a few years and Essilor is growing in Japan and Nikon is big at Wal-Mart. If you ask me, they both got a good deal out of it.

My big question really is wondering if anyone cares if a company creates two brand names of very similar products and then sells one of the products to the 'big-evil-job killing-econonmy desimating' Wal-Mart? My personal opinion about Wal-Mart is that I could really care less about them! It's those damn low prices and convient hours!

Adam

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Who buys from Walmart?

Obviously alot of people buy from Walmart but there is a point where almost everyone will choose a higher quality and higher price place to shop.

Example: If Walmart went into offering Medical Care and you needed a heart bypass, and you have a great insurance policy,(which Walmart may also eventually offer); would you
    a-Choose the local Walmart to do this heart procedure
    b-Choose to go to the Mayo Clinc and let who ever happens to be on duty perform the operation.

My point is there are some shopper who will almost anything from Walmart and there are others who will only buy certain items from Walmart. When you are purchasing the same item such as a 50 lb bag of dog food by Mfg. ABC, why pay more.

However if you are purchasing an item that requires Walmart to provide you with patient related information I believe many consumer who shop at Walmart for many items will not shop there for there eyecare needs. With that said, they will take a great deal of business away from lower end value prices independant optical retailers and very little away from higher end, fashion eyewear botiques. In the middle market Walmart will also get some business with offering like this Nikon freeform lens product.

I would not want to try to setup an optical retail near a Walmart and compete as a low price provider.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Sounds like the Nikon W, which I have a feeling is also the Physio 360.

Thread Information