Thread: New Progressive Wearer Transition question

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

New Progressive Wearer Transition question

A few weeks ago a had an eye exam knowing before I went in that I would need to be making the switch from single vision to progressives. As I normally like to be informed, I did a bit of research prior to going and found this board which is a wealth of information.

I've heard stories of problems people have making the transition, so I wanted to do everything to make it as easy as possible. I also value my sight and want to make it as good as possible.

I don't have all my numbers with me here, but they are 3.50 & 3.75 with a 1.50 add in and a small correction for astigmatism in one eye.

I ended up getting a Silhouette Titan Min Art 7395 21[]50. The lenses are Physio 360.

This brings me to my problem. I have only been wearing them for a week now, and I know it may take longer to adjust. My distance is working fine, I now have near without looking above and below my lenses like before, but the intermediate is a problem. It seems like when I have one eye in focus the other is blurry, and then switches around if the other eye is then in focus.

I work in an office enviroment and use computer plenty. (there are two on my desk) So the intermediate range is of importance to me.

So am I rushing the the transition that will still occur over time, or should I be doing something else?

I have been back into the shop and they have adjusted the glasses and double checked the PD which they say are correct.

Mark

OptiBoard Apprentice
    hi, Mark, I'm not an optician, just a user like you who found this board for my own questions. Anyway, from another lay person's viewpoint -- what you are experiencing is completely foreign and abnormal to me. I've been wearing progressives about 7 years now, and I never had any problem at all adjusting to them, they were fine the first day. Sure, I had to sort of get used to the idea of not having the whole lens for certain tasks, like reading, but that occurred pretty naturally for me. IN any case, I never had any problem with one eye being blurry and the other okay, and this going back and forth. This sounds totally bizarre to me and doesn't sound normal to me. Well, I never had any problem remotely like that, as I said.

Anyway, we'll see what the pros say, who knows, maybe it is. I"m of the opinion that it shouldn't take long to adjust to a prescription change, and if so, something is wrong with the prescription. I don't think people should have to suffer with bad eyesight trying to get used to things that are abnormal.

But that's just me. Now, as a tip, I had another post recently where I couldn't see well for what was supposedly "intermediate" vision (eg, computer), although it wasn't what you were describing, just I saw better through the bottom of my glasses than the middle. I solved my problem by getting a pair of single vision glasses for both reading and the computer. I use my near vision for my computer, not anything that could be called intermediate, and that took me a while to find out that what I was always told by many was supposed to be intermediate vision is, in fact, not for me, it is near vision. My computer is about arms length from my eyes, maybe a little more--about 27-30 inches.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mneblung
    It seems like when I have one eye in focus the other is blurry, and then switches around if the other eye is then in focus.
    I'm not an optician either but I would be interested to know whether you are moving you head to make this happen or does it happen when your head is still? Can you stare at one point on the screen with your head still, and it's in focus first with one eye and then with the other? Or do you have to rotate your head (while looking at the same point) from side to side to make focus switch from one eye to the other? If you have to rotate you head, I would think the lenses are not adjusted correctly (what they call the PD is off).

Again I'm not an eyecare professional, so if they disagree with me then listen to them...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are a few things going on here

For starters I always say it can take a good two weeks solid wear before your brain fully starts to adapt to a progressive lens for a first time user. some users are lucky and have a shorter adaption. so bear with it, because it may all slot into place... this is very common

Sometimes a small adjustment makes all the difference. when you go back to the dispenser, have specific issues documented eg, "great for distance and driving, but when I do xyz this happens". This will help your dispenser which small adjustment he needs to make

There are many designs of progressive, so it is possible that the design you have does not suit your lifestyle or usage

Some people just do not adapt

On usage
    point your nose at what you are wanting to look at, move your head up and down slowly. SLOWLY is the key

try some adaption exercises: exercise #1 read a book look at the telly, move the book, read the book, look at the telly, move the book, swivel round a bit - keep jumping between the two, varying the book position. do this for 5-10 mins a few times a day. Adaption exersise #2 play catch wit a friend and a teniss ball - all underarm, across the body slow throws - get your friend about 2-3 M away. do this for 5-10 mins, a few times a day (be prepared to drop a lot of balls)

both of these ecercises are designed to force you to find your ay round the lens, and help out a lot in the adaption process

At work
    As you have a totally different spectacle set up now, it is worth trying to move your screens back a little, and adjusting the height of the screens. get a coleague to help. 1-2 inches movement might just do the trick. look at the screen angles too

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

John, Yes I do have to rotate my head. Thats what made me think there were some problems too.

King, I wanted to give it the best shot I could and I gave it two weeks as you suggested and what the shop said too. Went back today and after discussion and detailed explanation of my problems and then remeasuring everything from my eyes, to the charts to the glasses, we found the the glasses had the height and PD both off.

Hard to believe that both were off, I just hope I don't have the bad luck of the same tech making my replacement set of lens.

Mark

Rising Star
    Occupation
    hey Mark--Really-you can believe that they had both the height and PD off-I had to have my lenses redone THREE times before they were finally done right to where I could see out of both lenses clearly. the good news is...Now that they are finally right-I love them!

Thread Information