Thread: More Fun with 1-800 Contacts

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

More Fun with 1-800 Contacts

Last week I had a patient who has been a past user of 1-800-Contacts come in. After securing an O.K. from his ophthalmologist I proceeded to become his contact lens fitter/provider. The patient wasn't sure of of what he had been happy with so he brought his boxes in for me to see. Guess what: The Boxes he had were either specially packaged for 1-800 by B&L or had a tight irremovable bar code over the Base Curve, on all packages. I couldn't really tell if the base was printed on the box (although the box was somewhat different than those supplied by B&L to us for the same product.
    My point? Although 1-800 Contacts wants the patient to be able to supply "The Prescription On the Side of the Box" to them, they don't want thier customers to be able to "Supply the Precription On the Side of the Box" to any other source of contact lens supply again.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Last week I had a patient who has been a past user of 1-800-Contacts come in. After securing an O.K. from his ophthalmologist I proceeded to become his contact lens fitter/provider. The patient wasn't sure of of what he had been happy with so he brought his boxes in for me to see. Guess what: The Boxes he had were either specially packaged for 1-800 by B&L or had a tight irremovable bar code over the Base Curve, on all packages. I couldn't really tell if the base was printed on the box (although the box was somewhat different than those supplied by B&L to us for the same product.
    My point? Although 1-800 Contacts wants the patient to be able to supply "The Prescription On the Side of the Box" to them, they don't want thier customers to be able to "Supply the Precription On the Side of the Box" to any other source of contact lens supply again.

Chip
    shocking

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it's remarkable how the contact lens reps come in and tell us how they want us to be able t compete against the online and big box retailers, and then they turn around and give them the best deals available, and do everything they can to crush you.

Yes, I know that you can't fault them for wanting to make as much $$ as they can from whomever they can, but Im tired of the lip service, and have made a concentrated effort to avoid them . Has a practitioner recently tried to buy a solution from a vendor for resale? They put you on hold and check with their supervisors to se if it's allowed. "We send you free ones!" they say, but want you to send your customers to WM when they are ready to spend $$.

Look at the "vendor of the year" awards that the major companies give out. It's very telling.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns: WE even asked B&L and Boston Solution why we couldn't handle Boston Enzymatic Cleaner and why it was only sold at WallyMart. The answer: "Most optometrists want the patients to go to WallyMart."

Well I am not an optometrist, and I don't really care what "most optometrists" want. I want to be able to supply my patients, I want them coming in my store which they do, because we can supply Boston Products at about 1/3 what Wally Mart sells for. We don't make any money on this, but they stay in touch. They do occasionally buy other products on which we do make money.

It's a shame more solution companies don't offer practioners lower prices to accomplish the same thing.

Chip

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Not only.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    Look at the "vendor of the year" awards that the major companies give out. It's very telling.
    I would just like to add that this is not a unique situation in contact lenses only................this goes through the whole optical eyecare business.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip,

Exactly! But isn't it strange how they (reps) spend all the time with us, explaining how good their product is, who should use it, why they should use it and so on ? They want us to educate their Wally shopper.

I no longer hand out Opti-Free or Renu. I sell a solution from Europe that we sell for $29 for a year supply (6 large bottles). We make the sale by telling the patient that if they ever rip a contact lens while using our sloution, we'll replace that contact (once) at no charge (we give them a trial). We sell about 30 bottles a week, and now we have another profit center in our practice that generates income we've been losing for year.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am curiuos, if you were to scan the side of these B&L boxes would it be the base and diameter in barcode format or is it encoded?
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson

Chip
    Can the patient access "their" account, to see what they have bought in the past? I have had a couple of folks do that from our office, but don't remember which company they had bought from online. We were able to get their shopping history, which gave the OD the last Rx, when they were new to us.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Incredible!!

Although this tactic disgusts me, I cannot help but laugh out loud over it. I bet whoever thought of this got a raise, promotion and is hailed as a genious!!!:idea: Great Marketing Strategy!!! Get the RX from the patients boxes and then conceal the RX on the new boxes. I bet this gives them a lot of repeat business. I wish I was at that meeting.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Thread Information