Thread: Licensed/Unlicensed Optician in South Florida

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Post Licensed/Unlicensed Optician in South Florida

High volume optical retail sales looking for experienced optician, licensed or Unlicensed. Candidate must be good with customers, responsible and realiable. Store is located in Sunrise, Fl. For questions pelase post or call Andrew 754/264-3802.
    Last edited by netsurfr07; 02-05-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can you be an un-licensed Optician in a state requiring a license to practice?

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Yes, if the Licensed Optometrist is in the building.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can the optometrist be an independent or does he/she have to own the optical?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can't use the title optician unless you are lic. It is a violation of Fl. state law. You can be an optical technician.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by eyedude
    Can the optometrist be an independent or does he/she have to own the optical?
    The Optometrist can always be an independent enitity.
    In most Mall shops, Lens Crafters, Optical World, etc., the doctors are independent and have nothing to do with the Optical Dispensary portion.
    Now...will those optical shops try to tell you what to suggest to your patients, will they try to tell you what to charge, will they dicatate how many hours a week you have to be there?
    Illegally, Yes.
    Though some of these items may be addressed in your Lease / Contract (some demands Illegal), the only thing they can really demand from you as a doctor is a set commitment of hours per week, since your optometric business is in tandum with their sales, and because they will only be open so many hours a week and I'm sure they will expect you to be there most of the time.

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    Can you be an un-licensed Optician in a state requiring a license to practice?
    you can not call yourself an optician,if your are not licensed state.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let me rephrase the question. Can the dispener be unlicensed because there is an independent licensed O.D. on the premises? The O.D. does not own the optical.

OptiBoard Professional Dannyboy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the OD does not own the optical shop then he cannot legally "supervise the unlicensed person" but do not take my word for it. Have the OD write a letter to Florida Department of Health Board of Opticianry and ask them if he can supervise an unlicensed optician. Make sure the OD puts his license number and where is the independent optical shop.

Dannyboy:D

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was just a hypothetical question.
    I also wonder if an RN can dispense eyeglasses and contact lenses since they are licensed to carry out doctors orders.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anyone.....

....can dispense eyeglasses on a doctors order, they do it every day. How many offices are left un-supervised in this country daily? Hundreds.......

The only folks Opticians licensing boards can control are those they license. There ar a few exceptions across the country, but generally speaking, little is done to control the unlicensed person dispensing eyewear. The fact is, supervision can be defined in many ways. Is it direct supervision, and if so, what does that mean? Many OD offices have folks who dispense their spectacles whether or not the doctor is on premise or not. They claim they have verified the Rx and take responsibility, so all is well. I often wonder if Opticians do not need some similar rule for supervision. It seems that Opticians have placed ourselves at a competitive disadvantage, when so much of the nations eyewear is now dispensed by non-licensed staff members. I personally would like a requirment that all offices have Opticians (licensed) on staff to assure accuracy, but that will be a tough battle. Where do Opticians go from here? Are we still needed if seemingly anyone can do what we do? Has the public complained about the poor quality of eye glasses they receive?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    .. Has the public complained about the poor quality of eye glasses they receive?
    A quick way to get the ball rolling in your state or any state that wants to bring the validity of Licensed Opticianry is to get the Media involved.
    You want to see any establishment cringe, inform them that they have been investigated by a reported with a hidden camera.
    Tell them how that reporter managed to buy three pairs of glasses, while exposing all the illegal things that are done
    How their glasses that are not being inspected by a licensed Optician are incorrect and below Ansi Standards.
    If there is a question about the need for licensure, try getting some reporter to do a story like this.
    I am not saying that as an optician we always do things correctly and to a higher standard than everyone else, despite the fact that we should in this industry, but it is a keen way to spotlight how things can go bad without a licensed Optician on site at all times and to a wider audience than the state legislature.
    Hey this is just my opinion.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good idea......

...but it backfired in NY and NJ, when hidden cameras tested spectacles from a number of establisments. Almost none passed ANSI standards, and unfortunately most dispensaries do not even have a copy. It needs attention, and to be corrected. I would LOVE to be able say we do it better....but do we? This topic has not been researched. Many have opinions, but do not really know. My gut tells me we do a superior job, but I have a distinct bias, I am an Optician. My recent research indicates that anyone can do what Opticians do regardless of education and make similar salaries irregardless of the status of licensure in their state. We looked at several factors; education and training, licensure and income compared to the use of advanced technologies in practice. But we did not look at quality. We can measure quality of eyewear if we have enough folks participating, and don't mind putting their money where their mouth is. Dr. Ferguson, if you read this, I am volunteering you to work with us. Anybody interested in doing some research with me/us on this topic?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    ...but it backfired in NY and NJ, when hidden cameras tested spectacles from a number of establisments. Almost none passed ANSI standards, and unfortunately most dispensaries do not even have a copy. It needs attention, and to be corrected. I would LOVE to be able say we do it better....but do we?
    I could not agree with you more, sometimes Opticians get so smug hiding behind their state licenses and certification, and one without any of the addtional letters behind their name do a much better job.
    I bet you those stores in NY and NJ kicked it up a notch when it comes to inspecting their jobs for qualities and standards.
    As far as the Ansi Standards are concerned, it seems to me that it is just another excuse to hide behind. If the Rx states something, it is your job to fill that Rx, not get as clsoe as you can to it, that's our job.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation Optician Jobs in Atlanta Georgia

To Whom It May Concern:

I am an optician student in Miami Fl., and I am expecting to graduate next year 2007.

Could any Opticians or Optometrists tell me what is the optical job marketing is like in Atlanta Georgia? I was thinking about relocating to Atlanta Georgia next year 2007, and I wanted to know how soon would I get hired, and what is the average starting pay salary?

Thank you very much. :)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the sad part about unlicensed dispensing, is that it is rampant in company's
    like walmart. filing a complaint to the state, gets no action what so ever. they
    are afraid of walmart's lawyers. as a licensed optician, licensed both in florida
    and new york, i tried to report unlicensed activity both to sam's club optical;
    management and the state. the only response that i got from sam's open door
    policy, was to be harrassed and forced to quit! the state never even investigated my complaint at all!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

licensed coverage: the double edged sword

Quote Originally Posted by OpticLabRat View Post
    Yes, if the Licensed Optometrist is in the building.
    And the individual is employed by the Optometrist -depending on the state your in.

Of course, be careful, as the direct supervision aspect of the law is a grey area. The Optometrist is most likely to be behind a closed door the majority of the time doing exams so direct supervision by her or him is largely not possible. Individuals have been brought before the boards on this loose technicality. Also, the same applies with Licensed Opticians. They may be in the building but if they are sitting in an adjacent room and not directly survising the unlicensed person on the floor, they find themselves confronted by a state inspector on the issue.

Sincerely,
    Brian

Thread Information