Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: hi I'm new - could you help me?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave hi I'm new - could you help me?

Hello to everyone. This looks a good forum :)
    I am wondering if there is anyone out there who can help me?
    i went to have an eye test yesterday & apparently my prescription has changed, but she wrote the prescription down differently than my existing one, so I can't compare to see by how much it has changed. If I write down my old prescription - might some clever person be able to convert it to the different way of writing - so I can compare this to the new prescription??? Am I making sense?
    Here's hoping... here goes
    right / sph 5.25 cyl 1.75 axis 105
    left / sph 5.25 cyl 2.00 axis 90

thanks for reading
    x

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

More info......................

Quote Originally Posted by shyiris
    right / sph 5.25 cyl 1.75 axis 105
    left / sph 5.25 cyl 2.00 axis 90
    It would help if you would add the + and - signs that are on your prescription.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    oh yeah duuuh!

right / sph +5.25 cyl +1.75 axis 105
    left / sph +5.25 cyl +2.00 axis 90
    all positive :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    oh yeah duuuh!

right / sph +5.25 cyl +1.75 axis 105
    left / sph +5.25 cyl +2.00 axis 90
    all positive :)
    R +7.00 -1.75 x 15
    L +7.25 - 2.00 x 180

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This post smells fishy, to me.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    4,000 holes.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why do people always want to know how much thier precription has changed? Especially since they don't understand the numbers and what they stand for?

The point is your precription has changed and you need new glasses. Why beat it into the ground with a bunch of silly questions that are meaningless even when you hear the answers unless you are familiar with optical science (and if you are you don't have to ask).

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    thanks to the person wwho gave me an answer - in answer to chip anderson - from the answer I got here I now know that I have become more long sighted, so that is helpful to me - I know the fact is I need new glasses but I wanted to know how much worse my sight had got from the last time I had a test - which I can tell from the answer i got, without having a degree in optical science! Is it not natural to want to know how your body has changed?? Excuse me for being inquisitve.

I only wanted a bit of help so i don't know why people have to be so nasty.
    There is nothing fishy about me drk, I am just a genuine girl who wears glasses who would like to know more about things. Obviously most people consider me unworthy of information for some reason.
    thanks for making me feel so unwelcome.

Occupation

Unhappy

Don't feel alone, Shyiris. Feeling unwelcomed seems to be the norm here.

thanks to the person wwho gave me an answer - in answer to chip anderson - from the answer I got here I now know that I have become more long sighted, so that is helpful to me - I know the fact is I need new glasses but I wanted to know how much worse my sight had got from the last time I had a test - which I can tell from the answer i got, without having a degree in optical science! Is it not natural to want to know how your body has changed?? Excuse me for being inquisitve.

I only wanted a bit of help so i don't know why people have to be so nasty.
    There is nothing fishy about me drk, I am just a genuine girl who wears glasses who would like to know more about things. Obviously most people consider me unworthy of information for some reason.
    thanks for making me feel so unwelcome.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you now know how much the focal lenght in mm's or meters is, how much it's different from last time? Do you know if both (or all 3) doctors refraccted you at the same distance from your eye? Do you know if your blood surgar/pressure was the same as last exam. Do you know any of the subjective things mentioned in earlier similar posts? Of course not. You may have "no change" in your body since last visit. You could probably visit a dozen eye doctors in your city on the same day and find minute changes in what each one wrote as your precription.

Like I said, you need to know optical science and then you still don't know all the details unless you are the doctor with the actual patient in hand.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    thanks good as gold - I was quite upset by the response i got
    it is precisely this pompous attitude which I get from my own optician - refusing to answer my queries, which is why I have to resort to asking my questions on an online forum. Are these people scared of the comsumer knowing too much? Or are they thinking they are one better than joe Public - and want to keep it that way by keeping the info to themselves? I don't understand really :/

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    despite all your garble chip - the fact is the prescription i have been given is stronger than the last - which the kind person who answered my initial query helped me to find out - what blood sugar etc has to do with it i don't know - because all I wanted to know is if my prescription was stronger now - and it is. I don't need to know optical science to see that do I?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    I'll take my turn to apologize on behalf of the broader Optiboard community.

There are a few posters who regularly give consumers a hard time. Ignore them. There are plenty of contributors who will try to help you out.

Unfortunately, it's hard to slap somebody upside the head on the 'net, however much he might deserve it.

Iris, it may help you to know that prescriptions generally vary by 0.25 diopter - a 0.25 change is pretty much the minimum.

Are there really 4,000 holes? Or did they fix them all?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    thanks very much for that shanbaum

my next question was going to be (but I didn't dare) if my prescription had gone up by a 0.25 - would I be able to tell in the thickness of my glasses? I was crying because my glasses are thick enough - i don't want them to get thicker :(

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shylis: Yes it will be thicker by a miniscule amount if you use the same material in the same frame. But what difference does it make, you still need the extra quarter. If you use a smaller frame it could be a good bit thinner. If you use a higher index material than whatever you are using now, it could be thinner still, but expect to pay for these features.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    See, he's actually capable of being helpful, when he wants to be.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    thanks very much for that shanbaum

my next question was going to be (but I didn't dare) if my prescription had gone up by a 0.25 - would I be able to tell in the thickness of my glasses? I was crying because my glasses are thick enough - i don't want them to get thicker :(
    no, they wont be any thicker, in fact in a lot of cases with a prescription such as yours an 0.25 difference would not really warrant new glasses unless you wanted a change.

You also have understand that the thickness of your specs dont just depend on your prescription, shape and size of frame as well as the material the lenses are made from are very important.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Shy Iris,

You mentioned blood sugar, which can make an Rx go up and down. And you didn't mention it until a few posts later, makes me wonder about the true intentions of your post.

Blood sugar issues are a round-about way of saying diabetes, which can very much harm the eyes. I hope you are getting full eye exams with retinal evalutions, not just a refraction (spinning of the dials for your spec Rx).

I performed an exam on a woman who had diabetic type changes in her eye, yet she said she was on no meds. When I asked about sugar, she said, "your not going to tell me I need insulin like that quack doctor did 3 years ago. I never went back".

Her best acuity with specs is now 20/100 each eye, and she is having multiple laser treatments just to preserve that.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see your new prescription that you posted and someone converted it into minus cyclinder, but I don't see where you posted your old prescription. Did I just miss it?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888
    Shy Iris,

You mentioned blood sugar, which can make an Rx go up and down. And you didn't mention it until a few posts later, makes me wonder about the true intentions of your post.

Blood sugar issues are a round-about way of saying diabetes, which can very much harm the eyes. I hope you are getting full eye exams with retinal evalutions, not just a refraction (spinning of the dials for your spec Rx).

I performed an exam on a woman who had diabetic type changes in her eye, yet she said she was on no meds. When I asked about sugar, she said, "your not going to tell me I need insulin like that quack doctor did 3 years ago. I never went back".

Her best acuity with specs is now 20/100 each eye, and she is having multiple laser treatments just to preserve that.
    the true intentions of my post??? Wat do you think my true intentions are?? I don't understand you. The true intentions are that i am interested in my prescription, what other intention would there be?? Please enlighten me. I mentioned blood sugar because someone else mentioned it - whatever the reason for my change in prescription - it has changed - and i wanted to know how it had changed that's all. My blood sugars are fine btw. i am geting proper eye exams yes.

the one i posted happy lady was my old prescription which I wanted to be converted to compare it to my new one.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Another Newbie Chimes In

Quote Originally Posted by GoodAsGold
    Don't feel alone, Shyiris. Feeling unwelcomed seems to be the norm here.
    This is my first post here but unlike you Shyiris and GoodAsGood, I have been lurking here for about 8 months so I understand certain things a little better.

There have been a few consumers who have given the professionals here a hard time, like Sandy/Amanda recently and a little while ago someone named Patrice. Patrice wanted the professionals here to answer her questions so she could turn around and buy her glasses online. You can imagine how peed off that made everyone get... ;)

There were probably others before them that I don't even know about.

Also the professionals are getting tired of answering the same questions over and over again.

The fact is, this site is becoming more popular, and when someone does a Google search with just about any optical question, this site comes very high on the list. This is going to bring a lot of newbies here, and as time goes on it this will only happen more and more.

Clearly, what this site needs is a newbie consumer FAQ. This FAQ could attempt to both address the questions that keep coming up over and over, as will give the professionals here the chance to state their position on answering such questions without them having to keep typing the same things time and again.

This of course would take a fair amount of time for someone to do, and it's not obvious who should do it or how it should be done. But the "growing pains" experienced by this site would probably be made somewhat less if it were done...

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the true intentions of my post??? Wat do you think my true intentions are?? I don't understand you. The true intentions are that i am interested in my prescription, what other intention would there be?? Please enlighten me. I mentioned blood sugar because someone else mentioned it - whatever the reason for my change in prescription - it has changed - and i wanted to know how it had changed that's all. My blood sugars are fine btw. i am geting proper eye exams yes.

the one i posted happy lady was my old prescription which I wanted to be converted to compare it to my new one.
    Did you post your new prescription? I didn't see it.

Occupation

Arrow

She only mentioned blood sugar because Chip had brought it up.

Quote Originally Posted by harry888
    Shy Iris,

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Well John S. I understand where you are coming from but the professionals don't need to answer queries if they don't want to do they?
    no happy lady i didn't post my new prescription.

Occupation

Arrow

Thank you for your diplomancy, John. As I've acclimated myself to this forum I am more able to understand about the redundancy and necessity of directing others to past posts which might address their inquiries. Or, as you say, perhaps a FAQ which will answer many of the basic questions. On other hand, we might have a unique situation or have concerns about our individual Rx or eyewear that makes it necessary to pose a new inquiry, redundant as it might sound to the "oldies" here.

I just don't see a reason why some feel it is their duty to suspect every newbie that comes along and label them as "trolls or accuse them of having "other intentions". Certainly there must be a kinder and gentler way to politely guide us in the right direction. Perhaps a Private Message would suffice? No one likes to be raked over the coals in public for simply asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sheridan
    This is my first post here but unlike you Shyiris and GoodAsGood, I have been lurking here for about 8 months so I understand certain things a little better.

There have been a few consumers who have given the professionals here a hard time, like Sandy/Amanda recently and a little while ago someone named Patrice. Patrice wanted the professionals here to answer her questions so she could turn around and buy her glasses online. You can imagine how peed off that made everyone get... ;)

There were probably others before them that I don't even know about.

Also the professionals are getting tired of answering the same questions over and over again.

The fact is, this site is becoming more popular, and when someone does a Google search with just about any optical question, this site comes very high on the list. This is going to bring a lot of newbies here, and as time goes on it this will only happen more and more.

Clearly, what this site needs is a newbie consumer FAQ. This FAQ could attempt to both address the questions that keep coming up over and over, as will give the professionals here the chance to state their position on answering such questions without them having to keep typing the same things time and again.

This of course would take a fair amount of time for someone to do, and it's not obvious who should do it or how it should be done. But the "growing pains" experienced by this site would probably be made somewhat less if it were done...

Thread Information