Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: hi I'm new - could you help me?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    OMG - dare I ask -- what is a vertex distance??
    please don't be mad with me for asking

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    It's the distance between the eye and the lens.

Remember, Google is your friend.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    John Sheridan is my friend :)

Well I have my spex a bit further away from my eyes than i should coz I have extra long eyelashes so i suppose that cocks up my vision and prescription no end then.

OptiBoardaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by shyiris
    John Sheridan is my friend :)

Well I have my spex a bit further away from my eyes than i should coz I have extra long eyelashes so i suppose that cocks up my vision and prescription no end then.
    SpecialT is your friend too :bbg: , and your friend is letting you know that your eyelashes are not going to "**** up" your vision.

Enjoy your new specs!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    There are lots of helpful people here shyiris, not just me. Beware of jumping to a simple conclusion like "it must be vertex distance". I can pull my glasses forward a little and still see just fine. Your problem is likely to be more complicated, and I tend to agree with the pro's that you are not going to figure it out yourself. If you haven't found an optician yet that you can work with, keep looking around until you do.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sheridan
    There are lots of helpful people here shyiris, not just me. Beware of jumping to a simple conclusion like "it must be vertex distance". I can pull my glasses forward a little and still see just fine. Your problem is likely to be more complicated, and I tend to agree with the pro's that you are not going to figure it out yourself. If you haven't found an optician yet that you can work with, keep looking around until you do.
    i've tried countless opticians and I don't warm to any, I do generally have problems getting on with people though!

As for my eyelashes - they are a real problem with spectacle comfort. I cut them off once - but that made me sad :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i've tried countless opticians and I don't warm to any, I do generally have problems getting on with people though!

As for my eyelashes - they are a real problem with spectacle comfort. I cut them off once - but that made me sad :(
    try curling them

Software Engineer NetPriva.com mirage2k2's Avatar
    Occupation
    from experience I find changing the distance between your eyes and the lense by a small amount doesn't make much difference. But if you have slippage as well - mine often ride down my nose - then you have 2 problems, 1 the vertex distance is increased by a lot, 2 if you have aspheric lenses you end up looking through the wrong parts of the lense, i.e. the pupils dont line up in the lense as they should.

Just make sure they fit well and dont slide. :)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    hmm I didn't know I had to look thru a certain bit of my aspheric lenses - the vision seems the same whichever bit I look out of I am just thinkng abou tsome glasses I got last year - I could'nt see right out of them . The place I got them from said they were postioned right - were the right prescription - I kept telling them that I could not see right out of them but they just thought I was mad I think & sent me away - so they £300 + glasses are just sat in a drawer - bad eh? *sigh*

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hmm I didn't know I had to look thru a certain bit of my aspheric lenses - the vision seems the same whichever bit I look out of I am just thinkng abou tsome glasses I got last year - I could'nt see right out of them . The place I got them from said they were postioned right - were the right prescription - I kept telling them that I could not see right out of them but they just thought I was mad I think & sent me away - so they £300 + glasses are just sat in a drawer - bad eh? *sigh*
    when did you buy them... if it is fairly recent.. you have tried them properly, the shop has had a go at fixing them a few times - ask for a refund

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Shyiris

Look what you have stirred up!! I think you have to find an optometrist and an optician who can explain all of your questions during your eye examination and followup. Ask friends and relatives to recommend someone who they trust.

Firstly, did you have any problems with decreased vision in the first place? With a prescription like yours, I would be reluctant to prescribe for a +0.25 difference. I would show you after the examining process if a + 0.25 makes a subjective improvement. I would be honest with you if you saw no difference in this change of lens and say" if you want to order a spare pair which you should surely have on hand or want to change your style of frame then it is your decision to go ahead with another pair of glasses

Getting into the numbers of your prescription can be confusing unless you know alot about optics. This forum, judging from the above posts, has provided you with an enourmous amount of information. Isn't the Internet amazing.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    try curling them
    I thought you were talking about the optician - I thought - wat does curling mean?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought you were talking about the optician - I thought - wat does curling mean?
    your eyelashes, with eylash curlers...

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    your eyelashes, with eylash curlers...
    There was a student at College with me who was always curling hers!! With some metal fangled contraption as I remember...............Oh those were the days, swift pint or two at lunchtime with Tony Botten then leg it round to the "Green Man" for as many pints as we could get in before catching the train home in the evening. I think we learnt some optics along the way?

Lewy

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    heh - like I have time to curl my eyelashes in a morning - I can just about manage to get showered & dressed! plus - curling eyelashes with no glasses on is dificult when you can't see where your eyelashes are :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    heh - like I have time to curl my eyelashes in a morning - I can just about manage to get showered & dressed! plus - curling eyelashes with no glasses on is dificult when you can't see where your eyelashes are :)
    still might be worth a try though - just to see. My partner is always amazed I can get out of the door in 15 mins flat, it takes her hours (dont mention the hair)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    still might be worth a try though - just to see. My partner is always amazed I can get out of the door in 15 mins flat, it takes her hours (dont mention the hair)
    yes I have it down to about 15 minutes in the morning.
    i have heard that people can have their eyelashes permed into a permanant up-curled position - perhaps I might go for that -I'm worried they may drop out tho. Also - I suppose when the eyelashes are curlied the eyes look bigger and more open - well mine look big enough in my glasses.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    shyiris, have you tried investing in a magnified mirror?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I hadn't paid attention to this post til now. I can't believe all the posts to help this consumers questions which keep going on and on.

Shyiris, whoever you are, your question is a valid one, but only the eyecare professional who examined you is in a position to tell you how much of a change you have had, and whether it is good or bad. If they won't take the time to answer appropriately, then it's time to change practitioners. All of the seemingly appropriate answers you have received here are not worth much, and I say that with all respect to those who have tried to help.

To everybody else...don't you see what's going on here?

Done with this one.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have suggested curling the eyelashes to patients that had long straight lashes.
    It really can help. You can do it by feel, it isn't that hard and only takes a minute or less to do both eyes. I find it helpful to slightly heat the curler with a blow dryer first. Be careful not to get it too hot!

I suggest you practice on a weekend, it's pretty easy to do.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Board member help

Shyisis;

I tried to review the answers on this thread and one point that many consumers note with their prescription change that is not understood. An OD will not usually write the Rx containing the same numbers as an Opthomologist. If a patient goes to an O.D. for one Rx check and then goes directly to an Opthomologist the two prescriptions would not look the same to most consumers. Without going into the math detail a Cyl reading on one could be a + number the other a - number and the axis would be different on both. However when you had the lab produce the lenses for both of these prescriptions they would be duplicates of each other.

This is one reason professionals when asked about changes and only one Rx is given here on Optiboard, they then try to answer assuming both exams were made by the same doctor. If both Rx's were available they would be able to tell they were the same or very similar.

What may look like a major change to a consumer maybe no change at all.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you tried makeup glasses? - they have flip down (or up) lenses, and let you do one eye, whist using the other

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod

To everybody else...don't you see what's going on here?

Done with this one.
    what's going on then???
    do you knoe your post just repeated what everyone else had been saying??

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by RGC_man
    4,000 holes.
    goodness me - I have only JUST realised what you were talking about heh heh ! I thought 400o holes was just some private talk between professional members!! I get it now :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I have suggested curling the eyelashes to patients that had long straight lashes.
    It really can help. You can do it by feel, it isn't that hard and only takes a minute or less to do both eyes. I find it helpful to slightly heat the curler with a blow dryer first. Be careful not to get it too hot!

I suggest you practice on a weekend, it's pretty easy to do.
    You see.. took a bloke to sugest it, and a woman to finish the advice and make it perfect

Thread Information