Thread: The true about A/R

Bad address email on file

The true about A/R

I like that our customers are informed of the product they are buying since this will save many problems like "That was not explained to me", etc.
    I would like to give a paper to the customer that ask about A/R to explains the the true about A/R, pro an disadvantages of buying the lenses with A/R.
    Do i need to replace the lenses with A/R more often that the regular ones.
    What is the life time ot this coat?
    The word A/R is confusing since some people think that they will eliminate any reflex like the one on the monitor of the computer, the one on the dirty front glass of a car while driving at nigth, etc.
    This is true, i had one customer complaining about this because there is a TV advetisement that said that if you have problems with the ligth of other cars while driving at nigth, you should try A/R lenses.

Is someting already written that explains honestly what may be expected from a A/R lens?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gola
    I like that our customers are informed of the product they are buying since this will save many problems like "That was not explained to me", etc.
    It is your job as a dispenser to accuratally tell patients what they are getting for thier money, and the pro's and con's of the choices
    I would like to give a paper to the customer that ask about A/R to explains the the true about A/R, pro an disadvantages of buying the lenses with A/R.
    Do i need to replace the lenses with A/R more often that the regular ones.
    Thats a good idea
    What is the life time ot this coat?
    Properly looked after the coating should outlast the next prescription due date
    The word A/R is confusing since some people think that they will eliminate any reflex like the one on the monitor of the computer, the one on the dirty front glass of a car while driving at nigth, etc.
    This is true, i had one customer complaining about this because there is a TV advetisement that said that if you have problems with the ligth of other cars while driving at nigth, you should try A/R lenses.
    That's your job to educate the patient. The AR coated lenses will be superior to non-AR lenses for driving art night, but wearing lenses will not reduce the issues to do with the windscreen of the car, or the weather. BIG TIP: clean the inside of the windscreen weekly
    Is someting already written that explains honestly what may be expected from a A/R lens?
    Im sure there is, but the ones I can think of will be copywrited

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Well, gola, I'm not in the optical trade (just an eye patient), but I think you should ask your optical lab about this - the people who actually perform the AR coating process on the lenses that you are retailing. I think that they would probably be able to help you with this.

Yours truly.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 02-02-2006 at 06:25 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Rinselberg is right..................

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    .........................- the people who actually perform the AR coating process on the lenses that you are retailing. I think that they would probably be able to help you with this.
    Rinselberg is right. Go on the optical website listing find the AR coating laboratories section and ask them. It is at http://optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, just ask the lab that is supplying your ar and most of them have pamphlets you can give to your patients on the benefits of ar and how to PROPERLY take care of them. Or you could just make your own.

I thank to those that has respond to my question about A/R and see that i migth not explain myself so i will try to be more specific this time.

2 or 3 years ago we bought a stock of poly lenses with A/R (Cryzal) from Silor (essilor).
    We started selling them at a very, very good price in order to have a fast respond and be able to evaluate the product.

We are in an area (Central America) extremely humid (80-90%) where the temperature is from 30º C to 36º Centigrade during the day and it rains 9 months a year.
    You sweat all day long and the lenses get greasy so they need to be cleaned very often. We provided the adecuateds cleaning solutions and the advice on how to used.
    Complains:
    1.- Most customers had to replace their lenses in a few months because the A/R had scratch (need to be cleaned very often) and most of them choose regular lenses this time (not A/R).
    2.- We where becoming crazy with small areas of the lens surface with hundred of very timy cracks not always visible. Finaly we discovered that was created during edging. This particular lens was very thin and in this days most of the frames are small. We has to use on the bevel edger (Weco 430) the set of parts for small lenses and set the edger for the least pressure that would not let the lens rotated but even though lenses where bending (increse curvature) and that plus the heat created timy cracks. We tried everything and the only thing that worked partially was to glue a small (smaller than the demolens of the frame) lens in the concave surface of the lens to be edged so that it would increase the area of support and reduce bending.
    We returned that stock to Silor and they gave us credit for it. Today we sell a few pares of lenses with A/R in a month and we send them to the U.S.A. for the coat to be applied.

I has talked to many salesman but they do not deal with end users of the product and as successful salesman, they enhance the good think and avoid to talk about problems. "This is the first time i hear this" "Many customers are using this product and we do not have report of any problem" etc.

As you see, i am negatively predisposed to A/R and are trying to go to a middle point about A/R. What is really true. What is not said. What should be honestly said to the customer so that he can decide based on good information. That is the way we try to do our job for many years and customers have confident on us. I need to be more inform and i would appreciate your comments.

We have 8 stores and would like to have written most relevant think to be said about A/R so that everyone working for us tells th same story. The true one with pros and cons.

Thanks in advance to those that take the time to help me.

Occupation
    We are in an area (Central America) extremely humid (80-90%) where the temperature is from 30º C to 36º Centigrade during the day and it rains 9 months a year.
    You sweat all day long and the lenses get greasy so they need to be cleaned very often. We provided the adecuateds cleaning solutions and the advice on how to used.
    Complains:
    1.- Most customers had to replace their lenses in a few months because the A/R had scratch (need to be cleaned very often) and most of them choose regular lenses this time (not A/R).

Thanks in advance to those that take the time to help me.
    You could have treated these lenses, and sealed the surface with a slick coat (similar as sold on the latest big corporation lenses) that is also anti-fog and anti-stat (*no dust attraction).

It is a very easy application and actually works very well. You can see it at http://optochemicals.com/crystalclear.htm and your problems will be solved.

OptiBoard Novice
    Which Anti Refelective Coating are you referring to and to which material are you applying it?

Occupation

Blue Jumper All of them........................

Quote Originally Posted by cfeyecare
    Which Anti Refelective Coating are you referring to and to which material are you applying it?
    Anti Reflex coatings are a generic item............that have been babtised with some brand name by the different lens manufacturers or AR coating labs.

Therefore I am not referring to anyone specific one.

Therefore I can apply it to any and all of them that do not already have a slick coat applied previously.

By applying it just before mounting the lenses into the frame, you eliminate the problem of slippage while grinding the lenses.

Thread Information