Thread: PAL Consumer Question

OptiBoard Novice

PAL Consumer Question

I bought my first PALs about ten years ago. After a brief tryout, I put them aside and continued with single vision till about three years ago. Then I bought a Marchon Flexon frame with Panamics, Transitions and Crizal. The glasses were great. Unfortunately, I lost them a month ago. After pricing a new pair at $500-800 and reading this site, I decided to give Ovations a try.

With the Ovations, I do have swim in the reading part that I did not have with the Panamics. Straight ahead is fine but cannot use any peripheral reading vision. But, the Panamics were in a medium size frame, where the Ovations are in a smaller frame (although not quite requiring a short corridor lens). I also have to lift my head when using the computer. Did not have to do that with the Panamics. Lastly, I think the add went from +1.75 to +2.00 and the fitting height for the Ovations is 17mm. The add on the ten year old pair seems to be +1.00 from the laser marking.

While eyeware shopping for the last month, I had to wear the PALs from ten years ago. Don't know what the lens is but I paid about $300 back then for the glasses. These have no swim but the lens is very large. I also have to lift my head a little bit when using the computer with these.

When I was looking at new Marchon Flexons that were small like the kind I just bought, that Optician said those would need the short corridor equivalent of Panamics (I think they were Varilux Ellipse).

My questions: is the (reading) swim due more to the small frame or to the Ovations? Since I can't get the Panamics in a small frame, will the Ellipse work as well as the Panamics or would they have the same swim as the Ovations? What about lifting my head to see the computer, I didn't have that with the Panamics. Wish I still had them for comparison. Thanks.
    Last edited by BIC; 01-31-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

New lens issues

Ask the Optician to show you the map for each lens design and explain what area of the lens you will be able to use to see the computer, and what areas are for distance and reading. Your frame selection may make what you are trying to achive very difficult. If you look straight ahead at the computer and turn your head as you read or type you can use the middle area of a progressive.

With you required add growing by 33% you have a different design of lens required. The mounting in the frame for computer use may have a simple solution. Buy a pair of single vision lenses with a power for computer use. I would guess that you prescription plus 1.25 to 1.50 would give you great computer vision, but your optican can advise you what the exact number should be. Just tell him how far your eyes are from the computer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by BIC
    I bought my first PALs about ten years ago. After a brief tryout, I put them aside and continued with single vision till about three years ago. Then I bought a Marchon Flexon frame with Panamics, Transitions and Crizal. The glasses were great. Unfortunately, I lost them a month ago. After pricing a new pair at $500-800 and reading this site, I decided to give Ovations a try.

With the Ovations, I do have swim in the reading part that I did not have with the Panamics. Straight ahead is fine but cannot use any peripheral reading vision. But, the Panamics were in a medium size frame, where the Ovations are in a smaller frame (although not quite requiring a short corridor lens). I also have to lift my head when using the computer. Did not have to do that with the Panamics. Lastly, I think the add went from +1.75 to +2.00 and the fitting height for the Ovations is 17mm. The add on the ten year old pair seems to be +1.00 from the laser marking.

While eyeware shopping for the last month, I had to wear the PALs from ten years ago. Don't know what the lens is but I paid about $300 back then for the glasses. These have no swim but the lens is very large. I also have to lift my head a little bit when using the computer with these.

When I was looking at new Marchon Flexons that were small like the kind I just bought, that Optician said those would need the short corridor equivalent of Panamics (I think they were Varilux Ellipse).

My questions: is the (reading) swim due more to the small frame or to the Ovations? Since I can't get the Panamics in a small frame, will the Ellipse work as well as the Panamics or would they have the same swim as the Ovations? What about lifting my head to see the computer, I didn't have that with the Panamics. Wish I still had them for comparison. Thanks.
    I wrote a thread addressing this issue: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...41&postcount=4

Bad address email on file Lyrix76's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    First off the Ovation I believe is made by the same company as the Panamic lens. In my company we actually sell Ovations to consumers who were orig. Varilux wearers wheather Comforts or Panamics & none of them have had a problem. I suspect that your frame is too small to accomodate for the lens height itself, it may be sitting too low in the frame deleted some of your reading addition. Try going with a larger frame in the B or Vertical measurement.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the swim has everything to do with the Ovation as it is not as good as Panamic. Having worn both with the exact same script and similar fitting heights, frame sizes and shapes I enjoy my Panamics much more... the Ovation pair sits in a case under my desk because I can't stand the swim or the vision out of the lenses. I've always likened the Ovation as being the poor man's Panamic... it fits smaller frames, but the quality is just not as good.

Try to find out what kind of markings your old lenses have, the ones that are working for you, if you bought them from a chain store like LensCrafters or one of the many ECCA brands that may narrow down what the lenses are. Some of the lenses I've worked with that seem to have little swim or sway problems are brands like AOPro, AOCompact(my wholesale lab rep says this is the best-selling lens right now for them), Zeiss Gradal and Hoya GPW. All of these lenses I have dispensed with very few problems like what you have described with the Ovation lenses... granted, no lens is perfect for everyone, but the brands I have listed have worked well hundreds of times for a wide variety of people.

The best advice I could give you is to seek out a reputable and skilled optician and optometrist, stay away from the chains as most of them are only looking to take your money in exchange for mediocre vision and little, if any support for the product. You may find that small practices cost a little more, but you will get more out of the investment... as the doc I work for always tells the patients "you only have one set of eyes, so you better take good care of them."

Good Luck in your quest... If you have any more questions please ask... :)

OptiBoard Novice
    Actually, an adjustment has helped. The frame was adjusted to wrap closer to my face/eyes horizontally. Vertically, the bottom part of the lens was brought closer in. The lens is as close as possible to my eyes.

This has helped the middle computer vision. Still have a little reading swim, but better, I think. Overall not as good as what I had before with the Panamics but it is satisfactory. Again, the frame is smaller and the "add" increased a bit. Thanks for every body's responses. It has been informative.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Your 10 year old glasses

One of the reasons your 10 year old progressives have no swim is the low add. Even if you get the same lens in your new rx, with a +2.00 add you will have more swim.

Why not get another pair of Panamics or try the new Varilux Physio.

OptiBoard Novice
    The reason I didn't get the Panamics is two fold. First is price. Panamics with Crizal would cost double that of Ovations with Vivex ARC ($500 v $250)

Second reason is that the Panamics won't work with current fitting height of 18mm. That optician suggested Ellipse (short corridor version of Panamics).

Many told me the Ovations would be comparable to the Panamics. I really can't compare because of the different prescription and lens size. Figured no way to know unless I tried them.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I fit Panamic at 18 with no problems. I guess you get what you pay for.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep Happylady, this is true(on the you get what you pay for comment). And, I fit 18(that's still the min fitting ht right?) so I don't know what's up with that Optician not wanting to fit a Panamic at 18???? I wonder.

Once you get your feet wet...
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    Yep Happylady, this is true(on the you get what you pay for comment). And, I fit 18(that's still the min fitting ht right?) so I don't know what's up with that Optician not wanting to fit a Panamic at 18???? I wonder.
    If you look at the original post, it is stated that the ovation was fit at 17 not 18.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you, I misunderstood one of the other posts by Bic.

Thread Information