Thread: Full time wear?

Bad address email on file

Full time wear?

Are there any guidelines given to professionals as to when to tell their clients at what prescription to go full time? I understand that it is entirely the indivudal's choice and no doubt professional opinion differs widely, but is there any general consensus out there? I often hear people saying that -2.00 seems to be a good 'cut-off' line between part time and full time wear. Also, if an optician was to advise full time wear what does this actualy mean? Does it mean put glasses on first thing in the morning and take off last thing at night - or just 'full time for when going outside etc?'

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that people say -2.00 is a point where people wear their glasses full time is that the vision without glasses is so blurry that most people want the clearer vision that glasses or contacts provide.

I wore a -2.00 rx for about 8 years in my 20's and I did wear them full time. I now wear a slightly stronger rx, about a -2.50 and again I wear all the time except for extended reading. I wear mono vision contacts and progressive glasses but nothing beats my natural vision for reading.

I do see patients that have prescriptions similar to mine that only wear for driving and TV. Generally this people are older the 40 and don't wear progressives. They get used to the world being slightly blurry because they like how clear everything is up close.

I would leave it up to the patient to decide if they want to wear their glasses full time. As long as they wear correction for driving it is really up to them. I have seen people with -1.00 corrections that wear full time because they love the crisp vision. Some people are just pickier then others.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by gerald
    Are there any guidelines given to professionals as to when to tell their clients at what prescription to go full time? I understand that it is entirely the indivudal's choice and no doubt professional opinion differs widely, but is there any general consensus out there? I often hear people saying that -2.00 seems to be a good 'cut-off' line between part time and full time wear. Also, if an optician was to advise full time wear what does this actualy mean? Does it mean put glasses on first thing in the morning and take off last thing at night - or just 'full time for when going outside etc?'
    There are no such guidelines, as none would make sense for everyone. The prescribing doctor should indicate to the patient how much and for what activities the Rx should be used, and that depends on lots of factors that vary from patient to patient. Of course the patient will do what the patient is going to do. But unless the optician is doing the prescribing, he/she should not be recommending a wearing schedule without confirming with the prescriber. The -2.00 is not a useful "cut-off" for anything.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Well said William

The distance prescription that is given will give the patient a benefit anytime he or she wears it. When a patient asks me if he or she should wear the glasses I tell them that. I may look at the visual acuity to tell the patient the difference or what he or she needs to read. But vision is vision and why shouldn't we want the best.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Well said William

The distance prescription that is given will give the patient a benefit anytime he or she wears it. When a patient asks me if he or she should wear the glasses I tell them that. I may look at the visual acuity to tell the patient the difference or what he or she needs to read. But vision is vision and why shouldn't we want the best.
    Umm, not always. Often a distance only Rx is detrimental to near vision irrespective of visual acuity. Take a -2.00 O.U. who is esophoric at near with the Rx. Might have 20/20 at near, but could get eyestrain, even diplopia...

Thanks for your replies. The reason I asked was because I wear -2.00 glasses and recently went for an eye test having worn my glasses. My prescription went up to -2.25 both eyes (although I was pretty much told not to bother getting this prescription filled because it was negligible). However, the optician made me feel quite stupid for wearing my glasses to the eye test, saying 'oh, I see you are wearing your glasses for the exam, that's always sensible - because a lot of people forget to bring them!' At the end of the test she asked me if I had brought a case to 'pop' my glasses back into. I mentioned to her that the arm on my glasses kept falling off and she told me to leave them with her and they could fix them in the next couple of days. At that time it was dark and I was a bit concerned about driving without correction - but she didn't say anything - she knew I was driving and she didnt ask if I had a spare pair in my car! Now I am confused, and have not worn my glasses since because I am now beginning to wonder if I am just being silly wearing them for most activities. Also, should I get this prescription increase (albeit small) filled? As a student I get my lenses free anyway so money is no object!!

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Thanks .... At that time it was dark and I was a bit concerned about driving without correction - but she didn't say anything - she knew I was driving and she didnt ask if I had a spare pair in my car! Now I am confused, and have not worn my glasses since because I am now beginning to wonder if I am just being silly wearing them for most activities. Also, should I get this prescription increase (albeit small) filled? As a student I get my lenses free anyway so money is no object!!
    What are your unaided VA's? In Hawaii you must see 20/40 or better in order to drive without glasses, and you probably don't see that well unaided with the Rx that you have. No, you are not being silly - wanting to see better is the height of commonsense to me!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for your replies. The reason I asked was because I wear -2.00 glasses and recently went for an eye test having worn my glasses. My prescription went up to -2.25 both eyes (although I was pretty much told not to bother getting this prescription filled because it was negligible). However, the optician made me feel quite stupid for wearing my glasses to the eye test, saying 'oh, I see you are wearing your glasses for the exam, that's always sensible - because a lot of people forget to bring them!' At the end of the test she asked me if I had brought a case to 'pop' my glasses back into. I mentioned to her that the arm on my glasses kept falling off and she told me to leave them with her and they could fix them in the next couple of days. At that time it was dark and I was a bit concerned about driving without correction - but she didn't say anything - she knew I was driving and she didnt ask if I had a spare pair in my car! Now I am confused, and have not worn my glasses since because I am now beginning to wonder if I am just being silly wearing them for most activities. Also, should I get this prescription increase (albeit small) filled? As a student I get my lenses free anyway so money is no object!!
    How experienced is this optician? She sounds like she doesn't understand much about prescriptions. Why would it take a couple of days to put the temple back on your glasses, did it just need a screw or was it more involved?

I think most people who wear a -2.00 wear them all/most of the time. People over 40 might not because it will make close work blurrier, but other wise everyone would.

Did you leave the glasses with her? You shouldn't drive without them, especially at night.

As for how much difference the extra .-25 will make is hard to say. You might only notice at night that things are slightly sharper or you might notice a slight sharpness all the time. I find that some people are much more sensitive to small changes then other people.

The eye doctor should have trial lenses. You can hold the -.25 trial lenses over your present glasses and look around and decide if the change is important to you.

I don't know what my unadided VA's are but without the glasses I could only read the first letter of the chart (whatever that equates to). The journey home was quite uncomfortable cos everthing was pretty blurry and I thought then that I shouldn't probably be driving but there was little else I could have done and as the optician didnt seem too bothered to hear I was driving so I just ignored it. What should have happened in that situation? I mean, as I dont have a spare pair of glasses or wear contacts then if my glasses need to be kept (e.g for mending or for a new prescription) then is it normal for them to provide a spare pair in the intervening period?!

I also don't know how experienced the optician was but she was not young so I presume quite experienced. I think she kept the glasses over night because it was quite late by then as my appointment was the last of the day. Thankfully the glasses were ready for colection the following morning but I haven't worn them since.

I think I would benefit from the extra bit of prescription because I expected a bit of an increase (perhaps more to be honest!) because I use to put my first pair of pretty weak glasses over my current ones which made everything that bit sharper. But I don't really know how to approach the matter now - cos she said see you in two years. Should I just get the prescription filled at another opticians?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    aggggggghhhhhhhhhhh, you need to find a new Optician. You should not have been driving without your glasses and the simple fact that she didn't even ask you if you had another pair of glasses to drive home with concerns me. I hahve many patients with a much less rx than you and I wouldn't want them driving at night without them. That's crazy, go back to the Optician, get your glasses back and a copy of your rx and run out of there quickly.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Gerald, I'm not a professional but isn't it common sense to keep a spare pair in your car?? What would you do if you broke/lost your glasses while out and were unable able to wear them to drive home? You have to keep a spare car in the car by law in some countries. You could have a least put your old weaker pair you mention in your car. Your optician sounds a bit crazy (to say the least) but you have to have responsibility for this yourself at the end of the day!

You're right GoldenDragon, I should have a spare pair of glasses in the car and from now on I shall take responsiblity. I guess I always thought 'spare pairs' were for people with really high prescriptions who could not live without glasses, and I've never needed a spare pair so I have never really thought about it but the other day did show that it was quite important to have a 'back up'! In fact I am thinking about getting contacts. Do many people get contacts at this prescription, as its pretty low and I am afraid to approach an optician about it because nothing has ever been mentioned and as the other one didnt think I had a need to 'wear glasses time' they might advise against it?

As for the optician, I've never had her before and (hopefully) will never have her again because whenever I book an appointment I just get given any optician who is free.

The earlier question about VA - Does that mean that people with the same prescriptions have different VA's? I always thought that people with say a -2.00 prescription could see as much (or as little) as the next -2.00 - is that not correct? Having said that, my friend wears -3.00 and she said she can read the top line on the eye chart the same as me but she has a higher prescription?!)

sorry, that previous post was suppose to read 'wear full time'!!

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

The earlier question about VA - Does that mean that people with the same prescriptions have different VA's? I always thought that people with say a -2.00 prescription could see as much (or as little) as the next -2.00 - is that not correct? Having said that, my friend wears -3.00 and she said she can read the top line on the eye chart the same as me but she has a higher prescription?!)
    Your Rx is what is needed to give YOU your best corrected vision, and whilst others may be in the same ballpark when it comes to reading the "board", it doesn't automatically follow that they will have the dead same Rx as you. And vice versa, two folks may have the same Rx, but not have the same uncorrected VA's. Similar, maybe, but not guaranteed the same. That's partly why you see the eye doc. to get an Rx, and not buy them over the counter at Boots or Kroger or whatever.:) :)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the only thing you can read on the chart is the big E your vision is 20/100 and you should NOT drive without them. Don't you have a restriction on your license?

I am confused, you say your glasses were ready the next day but then you say you haven't worn them since. What are you wearing now?

Just because she wasn't young doesn't mean she is experienced. In many states anyone can get a job at an optical place and sell and fit glasses with no training or experience. Kind of scary to think about.

We do lots of contacts for people with your rx. If you want to try them I think that is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    If the only thing you can read on the chart is the big E your vision is 20/100 and you should NOT drive without them. Don't you have a restriction on your license?

I am confused, you say your glasses were ready the next day but then you say you haven't worn them since. What are you wearing now?

Just because she wasn't young doesn't mean she is experienced. In many states anyone can get a job at an optical place and sell and fit glasses with no training or experience. Kind of scary to think about.

We do lots of contacts for people with your rx. If you want to try them I think that is a great idea.

I don't have a restriction on my license. I'm from England and when I applied for my license at 17 I didn't wear glasses. The reason why I havn't worn glasses since is because the optician made me feel like I was 'overreacting' when I worse my glasses. (I hasten to add that in the 2 weeks since the test, I have not had the need to drive anywhere cos I'm now back at uni -car-less! ). After your advice I think I may book an appointment to get contact lenses fitted, although I'll chooce a different opticians this time! Sorry if I sounded a bit 'stupid' asking if opticians fit lenses at this prescription, I guess I knew they did, its just my family all have much higher prescriptions than mine and put off wearing full timecorrection (in the form of lenses) until much higher than -2.00. Do you think people with similar RX where contacts all the time, or only for sports/driving?

I guess I should learn to ignore wht other people do/think and just do what's needed for me!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have a restriction on my license. I'm from England and when I applied for my license at 17 I didn't wear glasses.
    to pass your driving test, you would have had to read the number plate (remember that)... if your prescription was -2.00 then you wouldnt have passed, you wouldnt have passed if your prescription was -1.00. you ought to mention to your Optician the change, as there might be an underlying cause

if you drive with defective vision in the UK, and have an acident - the police can prosecute you for reckless driving, and driving without due care and attention etc.... in some cases they treat it just like drink driving

Here is what the law says:

Visual Acuity

Poor visual acuity is prescribed as a relevant disability for the purposes of Section 922 of the 1988 Road Traffic Act thus;

the inability to read in good light (with the aid of corrective lenses if necessary) a registration mark fixed to a motor vehicle and containing letters and figure 79.4mm high at a distance of 20.5 metres.

This corresponds to a binocular visual acuity of approximately 6/10 on the Snellen chart

The number plate standard is absolute in law and is not open to interpretation.

here is what the RNIB say
    • Drivers who need glasses or contact lenses must always wear them while driving.
    • Driving with uncorrected defective vision is an offence and carries a fine of up to £1,000, three penalty points and possible disqualification.
    • Drivers should be able to read in good light a number plate from a distance of 20.5 metres (about the length of five cars). If a driver cannot meet this standard they are breaking the law and their insurance may be invalid.

While the law is not specifically definitive here, the application of the law can be very harsh. a court often takes the offence alone - driving with defective vision as a stand alone offence - 3 poiints, nasty fine etc. On the other hand they can compound an offence especially if you have an accident, in those cases they tend to go with driving without due care and attention, driving without insurance (£500O.OO fine and 6-8 points) etc... OH and the huge NO No is driving after they have said you are unfit to drive on grounds of vision - thats prision, disqualification and a fine
    Last edited by QDO1; 02-02-2006 at 05:51 AM.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have a restriction on my license. I'm from England and when I applied for my license at 17 I didn't wear glasses. The reason why I havn't worn glasses since is because the optician made me feel like I was 'overreacting' when I worse my glasses. (I hasten to add that in the 2 weeks since the test, I have not had the need to drive anywhere cos I'm now back at uni -car-less! ). After your advice I think I may book an appointment to get contact lenses fitted, although I'll chooce a different opticians this time! Sorry if I sounded a bit 'stupid' asking if opticians fit lenses at this prescription, I guess I knew they did, its just my family all have much higher prescriptions than mine and put off wearing full timecorrection (in the form of lenses) until much higher than -2.00. Do you think people with similar RX where contacts all the time, or only for sports/driving?

I guess I should learn to ignore wht other people do/think and just do what's needed for me!
    Have you been enjoying walking around without glasses? If you like your vision better with them then wear them! The "optician" didn't know what she was talking about. I wore -2.00 for years and I always wore them or my contacts. MOST people with correction wear it all or most of the time. Forget what she said and do what you like.

QDO1 - thanks for the legal advice! The other day was the only time that I have not worn glasses when driving and that was only because there was no other option (although I suppose I should have taken responiblity and got a bus or something!). I got my license when I was 17 and at the tme had 20/20 vision. Its only since the age of 20 that I've worn glasses (I am now 22). Are you saying I have to inform the DVLA licensing? I have noticed that the Americans amongst us say they have restrictions on their licsense but do UK licences have similar?

Thanks also for the advice Happylady. I haven't worn my glasses at all for the past couple of weeks since my appointment. Tho from now on I am at least going to wear them durig uni lectures! Knowing that somebody else wears/wore glasses often at this prescription reassures me that I am not being silly wanting to wear them for more than just driving. It's just when a 'so called professional' indicates otherwise it puts doubts into your minds that perhaps I was wearing them more than I really needed. Also, all my housemates have much higher prescriptions and I do feel a bit silly wearing them around them because they have made comments before about them having 'real prescriptions' as opposed to my 'negligible' one. But like I said before, I suppose I am the only person who knows how much or little I can see and I have got to get over the whole 'what will other people think' mindset!:cheers:

p.s contact lense appointment booked for one week's time (at a differnt opticians) waahoo!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like a OD or OO to comment on the following... 20/20 age 17, -2.00 age 22...!

By the way..
    you dont need to inform the DVLA, you just need to wear your correction

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    QDO1 - thanks for the legal advice! The other day was the only time that I have not worn glasses when driving and that was only because there was no other option (although I suppose I should have taken responiblity and got a bus or something!). I got my license when I was 17 and at the tme had 20/20 vision. Its only since the age of 20 that I've worn glasses (I am now 22). Are you saying I have to inform the DVLA licensing? I have noticed that the Americans amongst us say they have restrictions on their licsense but do UK licences have similar?

Thanks also for the advice Happylady. I haven't worn my glasses at all for the past couple of weeks since my appointment. Tho from now on I am at least going to wear them durig uni lectures! Knowing that somebody else wears/wore glasses often at this prescription reassures me that I am not being silly wanting to wear them for more than just driving. It's just when a 'so called professional' indicates otherwise it puts doubts into your minds that perhaps I was wearing them more than I really needed. Also, all my housemates have much higher prescriptions and I do feel a bit silly wearing them around them because they have made comments before about them having 'real prescriptions' as opposed to my 'negligible' one. But like I said before, I suppose I am the only person who knows how much or little I can see and I have got to get over the whole 'what will other people think' mindset!:cheers:

p.s contact lense appointment booked for one week's time (at a differnt opticians) waahoo!!
    Gerald,

Please reply via private message, but which Opticians have you (a) been to and (b) going to go to? I used to be a lens consultant many years ago for a large (very) lens manufacturer and Lincoln was within my area, and I got to know many of the practices there. I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Lewy

QDO1 - You give me the impression that you don't think I am being entirely truthful about my prescription progression. When I started to drive at 17 I hadn't been to an optician in years but could read number plates etc absolutely fine so I presume I had 20/20 vision - in fact I was always pleased that I was the only non-glasses wearer in a houseold of 5. I had my first glasses at 20 (prescription, I think, -0.75 both eyes). Then at 21 I had new prescription of -2.00 and now one year later -2.25. The optician who prescribed glasses at aged 20 said it was not unusual to have such a big increase at my age, and considering I have my head stuck in books all day studying for my medicine degree. Do you think otherwise? I am certainly no expert on this subject (in fact I don't have a clue!), but I was talking to my sister about it and she said that when she was prescribed glasses in her young teens within two years she had gone from plano to -2.50. Am I not correct in thinking that at a young age, and still at my age, prescriptions can change considerably from one year to the next?!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Generally myopia progression goes with long bone growth, you should have had yours by now. Wearing glasses does not make your eyes worse. Just makes you aware of how badly you have been seeing without them. If you want to see, wear them. If you don't care, and don't care about possibly killing a pedestrian, don't wear them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so I presume I had 20/20 vision
    that answered my observation. We are trained to notice the small nuances in what a patinet says, especialy historical data, so any discrepancies can be noted. In that way, we dont miss the fact that you might be a new un-diagnosed diabetic (for example)

Gerald

For what it's worth ... when I passed my test at 17 I got by (just) without glasses. I didn't officially have to confess to the DVLA until I moved, at which point I'd already had glasses for a few years anyway. When you fill in the new form it will ask you. Until then I think you're okay.

ps - I have a friend who's prescription is -1.75. (I only know that because he likes to compare) I see him wearing them in Sainsbury's, at the PC, and all sorts of places so do what you feel.

Thread Information