Thread: Election Day

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Well, the Yanks have had their turn, now it is ours.

Election Day in Canada.

It will be similar to the U.S. election. No one is happy with the outcome...

We have 5 major parties in Canada. There are only two national parties that count though.

The current party in power, the Liberals (think Democrats) will again from government, based on the fact that one province (think: state) has a dsiproportional share of the power (think: California, or now Florida), and we call it Ontario.

In the last election, a scant 3 years ago (and we have to vote every 5 years, but an election can be called any time), the ruling party, the Liberals, won less than 40% of the popular vote, but won a majority government.

This is due to one province, Ontario, having enough representatives to from the government by itself.

Our Senate is made up of appointed possitions.

So, here we are, with 2/3 of the country against the ruling party, yet, they get re-elected, and have total control...

Trade ya.

The American system of government is not the greatest (evidence the current unresolved results, and a House and Senate divided), but it is still the best.

Cheers, and let us hope for an Alliance (think: Republican) win.

I won't waste bandwidth with a running commentary... maybe.

Shwing;-}

[This message has been edited by Shwing (edited 11-27-2000).]

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

I saw part of the Canadian PM debates on C-SPAN. It was actually entertaining - kinda like watching the talking heads on Hardball or something. One of the candidates would ask another (usually Chretin) a question, then drown him out saying "just answer the question!", never giving him a chance to do so. All we got was Gore sighing and interrupting in the first debate, and looking like he was going to whiz on the floor by Bush to mark his territory in the third.
    Trade ya? Not a chance! As screwed up as our federal government can seem at times, we just couldn't handle the prospect of elections at any time. Heck, look at how long it took the "Undecided Independents" to make up their mind! We'd essentially disenfranchise them all if elections were held in the short time span they are in other countries. Then again...
    Anyway, hope all works out well for y'all. May you have a clear winner by tomorrow morning, with no recounts, dimpled chads, or anything else to keep the news reporters up all night.

Blake

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question

Shows how much you lot count in the world the BBC has'nt even bothered to cover your election :D they are still yacking on about the yanks not being able to count properly with out going to court to get a judge to do it......

John "Oh no not another election" R

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Sorry Shwing, but it looks like Chretien's Liberal party has actually increased its seats in Parliament from 161 to 171. I guess you're stuck with him for another term.

I heard, though, that the Canadian Alliance has asked for a hand recount of the votes in Nova Scotia. Good luck with that! ;)

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Thanks for the condolences, all. yeahm stuck with the Grits for another 5years (or less, please,please,please).

I have to move. The candidate in my riding is one of only two Liberals elected in all of Alberta. Thus, I must move.

The reason is that the majority of my neighbours don't think the same way I do, and are happy with a government that wastes billions, overtaxes us, has more partonage appointments than Mulroney's gov't...

I hate the Canadian legislative system. What Ontario decides is what happens. I want a EEE senate (Equal, Elected, Effective).

How would you guess I've voted Reform/ Alliance since 1988??

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Originally posted by Shwing:
    [I]I want a EEE senate (Equal, Elected, Effective).
    [I]
    Now that is what we all would like anywhere, :D but we a talking politicans here so you can forget the 3 eee's

Thread Information