Thread: PixelOptics: Auto-focus spectacle lenses for presbyopes

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

PixelOptics: Auto-focus spectacle lenses for presbyopes

Glasses may aid aging eyes
    Up to $32 million from Boston Health to assist PixelOptics

ROANOKE -- A San Diego banking firm is investing up to $32 million in Roanoke's PixelOptics Inc. to help the company develop auto-focus eyeglasses to remedy a form of farsightedness common among those 45 and older ...

Presbyopia is considered a natural part of aging. One of the first symptoms is the inability to read fine print. The [computer] microchip controlled eyeglasses use a range finder and the wearer's head tilt to automatically bring nearby objects into focus ...

PixelOptics is a spin-off of Roanoke's Egg Factory, a technology company that seeks innovative ideas to commercialize. PixelOptics holds nine patents on the lens and expects to receive four more. Blum said the company will develop and manufacture the eyeglasses in Roanoke, but he declined to say when the product would be commercially available. Eventually, he added, the company will have a West Coast presence and one in Europe.

http://www.gravitysedge.com/pixelopt...s/page0014.htm

The PixelOptics management team involves some key personnel from the group that invented the J&J Definity "dual add" PAL (progressive lens), now an Essilor product.

PixelOptics has also received $3.5 million from the Defense Department for "SuperVision" technology development, as reported in a recent edition of Vision Monday.

http://www.gravitysedge.com/pixelopt...s/page0017.htm

Originally posted as http://www.laramyk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=266#266

OptiBoard member rinselberg describes how he's carved his own personalized cyberspace on the Web under the mock umbrella tradename rinselberg™.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 02-13-2006 at 10:14 AM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Electric Index

Don't know about this but 35 years ago I read of Japanese research on a lens that could change index electronicly. Watched but could not find any reference since until about a month ago. Now there is a camera that does this (cannon I think). Can't be long before it can be done in an ophthamic lens, and I suppose it could eventually become an ecconomicly viable product.

Chip

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Very......................

Today’s static lenses will be replaced by dynamic (“intelligent”) lenses that automatically adjust focusing power electronically, in milliseconds, without any moving parts to various working needs and/or environments

This is very revolutionary and interesting, worth following up.

Occupation

Supervision ...is it a bird ,is it a plane

These lenses dynamically adjust and provide ongoing optimum vision to patients for the correction of presbyopia, and other visual disorders, as well as in the future may provide an entrée to SuperVision (the ability to see better than 20/20).

..most of my clients have already got supervision
    (dont ya just love marketing people )
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Rube Goldberg

Sounds like a silly contraption to me. A range finder controls the focusing of a lens? The lens will have to change focus by moving, by changing shape, or by changing index of refraction. Johnny #5 is alive!

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Question Aren't they doing something similar. . .

with IOL's?? There a couple of OMD's in my area that are touting IOL's that take electrical impulses from the brain and cause the lens to flex. I've seen pictures of the lenses and they look like they have little microchips in the corners of them.

I have no idea how successful these guys are, but I thought the concept was really cool. I hope you're all having fun and making money!!

Occupation
    A range finder controls the focusing of a lens? The lens will have to change focus by moving, by changing shape, or by changing index of refraction.
    The lens is pixelated; i.e., each lens is actually an array of 256 (maybe - that's just a guess on my part, but some number) of pixels or microlenses. Responding to the range finder and head tilt sensors, the microchip controller varies the electrical potential individually for each pixel or microlens, so that each has its own, independent, dynamically adjustable index of refraction. There are no moving parts.

PixelOptics electro-active lens concept

Another company (Ophthonix) has already developed and started to market a similar kind of pixelated spectacle lens for SV applications, but they are not dynamically adjustable like this concept.

OptiBoard member rinselberg describes how he's carved his own personalized cyberspace on the Web under the mock umbrella tradename rinselberg™.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 02-13-2006 at 10:12 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

lens pixels

well if the average lens were about 30 mm by 50 mm, or 1500 sq mm, and there were about 250 of the pixels, each one would be about 6 sq mm in size. Sounds ridiculous, unless they can also make the junctions invisible. Consider how invisible fresnel prisms are, and imagine crossing two fresnel lenses to get an "array" of lenticles. Not to mention the technology involved with a substance that can change it's index of refraction electronically.

What a pipe dream, but I suppose they've got to start somewhere...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thier website is in the future tense, so nothing is cooking yet. They have big money, and big guns working for them. I can see this as a concept that like CCD's will evolve at a teriffic rate once it births

Thread Information